VGMuseum
Video Games ''''Я'''' Us

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A better name for it than "Metroidvania"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VGMuseum Forum Index -> MrP's Castlevania Realm
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SqualidPumpkin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:44 pm    Post subject: A better name for it than "Metroidvania" Reply with quote

So I know my Metroidvania-related topics are multiplying like rabbits, but I have to be real about a big issue in the worldwide scope of things.

The name "Metroidvania".

Personally, I don't have a problem with it. But most people I know who are familiar with the term hate it. I guess I just figured they'd get over it eventually, but today I was met with an even better solution: Give them options!

almozayaf666, an acquaintance on Listal who'd just seen my Metroidvania List, made the following comments on my profile:

almozayaf666 wrote:
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Metroidvania
thanks for tach me the word "Metroidvania"

i love them for long time but never know what thy call
i didn't know that thy have name

but i think Metroidvania is a bad name it so copy right
like if you call
Platform = marionic "mario and sonic"
FPS " DOOMWOLF "wolfsten and DOOM" i know DOOMWOLF look cool
RPG : DragonFantsy

we need a name
Explorer Platform Games : EP-games
that look good

And then...
almozayaf666 wrote:
i get the name
Open world Platform
OWP

Now that's pretty genius. I, as well, thought up another alternative - Free-Roaming Sidescroller.

So if you've been deeply affected by this issue as I know many of you have been, I'd ask you not to ignore this call to action which your society demands of you. Post your thoughts on the subject here, and even better - come up with some better-sounding names to the current one yourself!

The List so far:
Exploration Platformer
Open World Platformer
Free-Roaming Sidescroller
Labyrinth Sidescroller

Last edited by SqualidPumpkin on Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mr Perfect
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First thing that came to mind is Labyrinth-Adventure (which is to suggest that the world is a maze). Though, I'd rather it be a one-word term than a genre-hybrid, which is why I think it would help to start with a synonym for "maze" or maybe even use an existing term in inventing a new one (catacomb could be "catacomber" or "cataclimber," for instance).

But instead something, like, good.
SqualidPumpkin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, P! It's up. Just let me know if my version is acceptable. I'll have to think on that alteration of an existing term bit.

Alright. So after just one day of this topic existing I've gotten twenty-seven PMs from people suggesting possible names, including "Dig it," "You know you eat cherries," "try tiping clsases," and - er, "Metroidvania,"

No, not really (thanks goodness).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VGMuseum Forum Index -> MrP's Castlevania Realm All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: