VGMuseum
Video Games ''''Я'''' Us

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone ever heard of "Black Tiger"?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VGMuseum Forum Index -> MrP's Castlevania Realm
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SqualidPumpkin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:34 pm    Post subject: Anyone ever heard of "Black Tiger"? Reply with quote

I was looking at the latest news on the Nintendo World Report today, and as always I looked at all the pictures to the latest "This Week in Nintendo Downloads" article to see if there are any good platformers coming out. I found one that looks a heck of a lot like Castlevania!

NWR's description wrote:
BLACK TIGER™
Publisher:
Capcom
Players: 1-2
ESRB Rating: Everyone (Everyone) - Fantasy Violence
Price: 800 Wii Points
Description: Fight your way through colorful, action-packed levels in this 1987 arcade classic. Explore huge, sprawling levels as a powerful barbarian seeking to defeat menacing bosses. Plus, upgrade your character with one of the first inventory and power-up systems ever built.

Link
Patraw

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, that's on one of the Capcom Collection compilations if I remember correctly. I don't think I thought of Castlevania when I played it--it just struck me as a standard arcade platformer. It's an okay game, but nothing about it really stands out in comparison to similar titles in my opinion.
SqualidPumpkin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it's kind of odd of me to think that a whole game is Castlevania-esque based on only one screen. But, alas! it's what caught my eye. It is kind of cool that it came out right around the launch of the CV series, developed and distributed before the series gained as much international recognizability as it sort of has now.

Since the hero is a brute dressed in tight armor who wields a chain whip with a spike ball at the end and throws knives at enemies *gasp!*, I think it's still worthy of being added to my Castlevania-esque list.
Patraw

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that's up to you; perception is everything. Just because I don't think it's Castlevania-esque, doesn't mean you can't feel differently.
SqualidPumpkin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just watched a YouTube video of the final fight. As he collects more and more armor, he starts looking a lot more like a royal knight and less like Simon Belmont. The gameplay in motion isn't that CV-like.

I wonder if Konami looked to this title when they created Castlevania: The Adventure, what with its fire ball-throwing whip upgrade.
Bloodreign

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't feel like CV, but you can tell it inspired Magic Sword, King of Dragons, and to some extent Knights of the Round, all from Capcom. Though Magic Sword bears more liking to it than the others I listed. It's on CCC 2 on PS 2 and on one of the Capcom compilations on PSP, all worth owning if you like Capcom.

Gameplay is also quite different, this one's more hack n slash than platformer like Castlevania is, or was. Sure you do jump in this game, but it seems more oriented towards action than actual platforming.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VGMuseum Forum Index -> MrP's Castlevania Realm All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: