VGMuseum
Video Games ''''Я'''' Us

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Super Smash Bros.-esque Games

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SqualidPumpkin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:56 pm    Post subject: Super Smash Bros.-esque Games Reply with quote

I can't say I much prefer fighters where the levels are crammed-in horizontal stretches and button mashing is the name of the game. Okay, so I'm not into the old school fighters. But I love the Super Smash Bros. series. And though I've heard mixed reviews of TMNT: Smash-Up, being a huge Turtles fan and in consideration of the positives I'm seeing, I believe I'd like to get that particular game as well. It's great finally having a current generation console all to myself!

I've been working on a list of Super Smash Bros. games and clones/games heavily inspired by the series. I was wondering if you guys could lend a few titles to my cause. Anybody? I'm not sure yet whether I'll include the Shonen Jump fighting games.

Basically, the criteria here is 2D or 2.5D fighters where the arenas involve platforming and, you know, stuff to do beyond simply forcing your opponent to the other end. Variations to the formula are acceptable, like Viewtiful Joe: Red Hot Rumble, which I'm not too familiar with but it seems like the goal is to attain points to add to one's health meter and the one with the most points at the end wins.

Aaaanyway, here's the current list:

Super Smash Bros. Series
Super Smash Bros. (N64 1999)
Super Smash Bros. Melee (Gamecube 2001)
Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Wii 2008)

Similar Games
Viewtiful Joe: Red Hot Rumble (Gamecube 2005)
Rag Doll Kung Fu (PC 2005)
Small Arms (X-Box Live Arcade 2006)
Rag Doll Kung Fu: Fists of Plastic (PS3 2009)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Smash-Up (Wii 2009)
CartooN Network Punch Time Explosion (3DS 2011)

EDIT: How could I have forgotten DreamMix TV World Fighters (Gamecube, PS2 2003)? With the playable roster including Simon Belmont, Solid Snake (as yet not introduced to the Smash Bros. universe), Bomberman, Optimus Prime, Megatron and Microman, and with stages complementing every character, I so want this game. With Virtual Console and 3DS re-releases, I'd say it should come around eventually, so long as there are no licensing issues.

EDIT #2: New game added to the list - Cartoon Network Punch Time Explosion (3DS 2011), which features Smash Bros.-esque fighting with Cartoon Network characters. It's the first handheld game in this style.

Also, see this list on Listal.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VGMuseum Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: