VGMuseum
Video Games ''''Я'''' Us

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Castlevania Legends animated bestiary

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VGMuseum Forum Index -> MrP's Castlevania Realm
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Patraw

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:10 am    Post subject: Castlevania Legends animated bestiary Reply with quote

Just a little something I've been working on for the last several days:

http://kramwartap.fortunecity.com/LGD_bestiary.html
Mr Perfect
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still say it's a dancing lizard.

DON'T STOP TILL YOU GET ENOUGH
SqualidPumpkin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very thorough and informative - nice work!
Lashen

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like it.
Nagumo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice. Did you came up with the information yourself or did you take it from the Japanese offical guide?
Jack Pauro Colombia

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Legends bestiary Source from Japanese offical guide.
http://castlevania.wikia.com/wiki/Castlevania_Legends_Bestiary

This is true. I confirmed it.
Patraw

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came up with the information myself for the most part, I referred to the Japanese instruction manual, as well as Mr. P's Legends bestiary as well.

Jack Pauro Colombia: Thanks for that list--it's interesting to see what the Japanese names for the creatures are. I had translated "Flying Wolf" from the instruction manual ('Furaingu Urufu' in katakana if I remember right)--but that just seemed screwy to me, given the creature's physiology, so I didn't think I had translated the "Wolf" part correctly. It's nice to see some validation that the Spiker Shooter is indeed a plant, I stared at that sprite for a long time trying to decide what the artist was going for before deciding it was indeed a flower of some sort. I may have to go back and edit my page to give them their proper monikers.

Also, I was considering sculpting the Sword Lord when I was making Legends figures, and, if I had, I almost certainly would have painted it green to match the SotN Sword Lord, seeing now that the creature is supposed to be a "Black Armor", I'd have to be busting out the bottle of black paint now to repaint it had I made one. Razz
Patraw

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All-righty, in the interest of accuracy/anal-retentiveness, I went ahead and fiddled with my animated bestiary, replacing/altering some of the names to better reflect the new information available to me (and I gave you credit on the page for providing the link, Jack Pauro Colombia). Unfortunately, I find a lot of the 'correct' names to be quite boring and unimaginative, but such is life. Some commentary on my choices (and bear in mind I'm not fluent in Japanese by any stretch of the imagination, but I did consult my Japanese world processor's dictionary and kanji definitions utilities), if you're interested:

The program defined "Kyuuketsu" (the first two kanji listed in the names of Vampire Worm/Bug) as 'bloodsucker/blood sucking', so I chose to use 'bloodsucker' and 'bloodthirsty', respectively, rather than 'vampire' for my translation, in regards to naming those two. The last kanji given for the "Vampire Worm" name usually means bug/insect, and I still think that particular creature looks like a maggot, maggots are larval insects (worms are annelids, not bug/insects), so I choose to interpret the Japanese to mean "Bloodsucker Bug". The last kanji give for the "Vampire Tree" name usually means timber trees/wood, and they kinda look like a tree stump viewed from overhead (I still think they look more like flowers though), so I went with "Bloodthirsty Timber" for my translation.

"Hi no Tama" does mean "Fireball/Ball of Fire", so, no argument from me there (will o'wisp is still cooler though).

I'd sure like to know why the Hunchback is named Josh of all things--maybe there's some historical significance?

The Japanese Legends manual explicitly gives "Minotauros" ('Minotaurosu' in katakana), not just plain "Minotaur", which is consistant with the spelling given in Rondo as well, so I'm not changing that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VGMuseum Forum Index -> MrP's Castlevania Realm All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: