VGMuseum
Video Games ''''Я'''' Us

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

G's Sporadically Updated Random Baseball Card Thread

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GIncognto

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:12 pm    Post subject: G's Sporadically Updated Random Baseball Card Thread Reply with quote

(all cards from my collection, my great life's work and waste of money)

XDXSCSA123: NICE AND SOFT
XDXSCSA123: NOW LIP LOCK
XDXSCSA123: SEX
HelloDes

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baseball historian Bill James, on Don Mossi:

Quote:
THE MAN WHO INVENTED WINNING UGLY

I have always kind of identified with Don Mossi. Don Mossi had two careers as a major league pitcher, one as a reliever and one as a starter, and he was pretty darned good both times. No one who saw him play much remembers that, because Mossi's ears looked as if they had been borrowed from a much larger species, and reattached without proper supervision. His nose was crooked, his eyes were in the wrong place, and though he was skinny he had no neck to speak of, just a series of chins that melted into his chest. An Adam's apple poked out of the third chin, and there was always a stubble of beard because you can't shave a face like that. He looked like Gary Gaetti escaping from Devil's Island.

One of the problems with choosing ugliest and handsomest players is that a player who looks little short of grotesque in one photo will look fine in another. Susie showed me a picture of Hoyt Wilhelm in which he looked positively handsome. I assured her it was just a bad shot.

You never have that problem with Don Mossi. Don Mossi was the complete, five-tool ugly player. He could run ugly, hit ugly, throw ugly, field ugly and ugly for power. He was ugly to all fields. He could ugly behind the runner as well as anybody, and you talk about pressure... man, you never saw a player who was uglier in the clutch.

Normally I might be reluctant to write about this, but Don knows he's ugly. Don was so ugly that the broadcast media's rule of two Negroes applied. A sportscaster will ordinarily never say that two black men look alike, but there is an exception, if you have two players who look so much alike that you ruin your credibility if people think you haven't noticed. Ordinarily, sportswriters will seem not to notice a jagged tooth or a creative nostril, but Don was so ugly that people talked openly about it. He was a kind of public service, the ugly man's hero.

GIncognto

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill makes a good point...many would say Willie McGee is a contender for ugliest player ever, but on this card he just looks regular ugly instead of shockingly ugly.

You need to be abominably hideous 100% of the time to take the ugliest player title, and McGee, you just can't cut it.
HelloDes

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a better than average photo of Otis Nixon.

GIncognto

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an error card where they put Otis Nixon's picture on an Alex Cole card. Now they were both black dudes who were speedy outfielders on Native American-themed baseball teams, but how in the hell are you going to confuse Otis Nixon for anybody else? Plus Alex Cole wore big dorky glasses that everybody at the time should have remembered.

Foleyite

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved Alex Cole as a kid. I think it was just my excitement for HOT PROSPECTS/RATED ROOKIES, combined with him sort of reminding me of DMC with the glasses gimmick.
GIncognto

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also loved Alex Cole, which is why I happen to have those two cards scanned, I have a pretty complete collection of his cards. And these two game-used caps:

Plus a bat.

Aaaaand a jersey. From the Colorado Rockies' debut season!

Sadly I don't have any game-used glasses, but I can confirm that he had a much smaller head than me.

I probably shouldn't tell you that after his playing career he went to prison for both possession of heroin with intent to distribute AND credit card fraud. But he signed a card I sent to him in the mail in 1992 so I'm still cool with him.
Foleyite

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GIncognto wrote:

I probably shouldn't tell you that after his playing career he went to prison for both possession of heroin with intent to distribute AND credit card fraud. But he signed a card I sent to him in the mail in 1992 so I'm still cool with him.

ALEX COLE BAYBAY!!!!
GIncognto

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foleyite

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread has already gone too long without a mention of Steve Lake's Koko B. Ware gimmick reveal Studio '91 card.
GIncognto

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stealing this picture, but I always preferred Glenn Hubbard's Jake the Snake reveal card.

GIncognto

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GIncognto

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HelloDes

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul O'Neill's mortal enemy:

http://i.imgur.com/8YH92Uj.gif
GIncognto

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess he prefers sparkling water.
GIncognto

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one features it all:

- Half of the Philadelphia A's "$100,000 Infield" from the 1910's, back when that was not 20% of the major league minimum salary for one player.
- Legendary baseball asshole Hal Chase.
- The ORIENTAL SMOKE.

GIncognto

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No idea why this Bobby Crosby card cost so damn much.

Foleyite

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel like the Oakland A's are the #1 team for guys who were HOT PROSPECTS/RATED ROOKIES that didn't pan out. Maybe I just think that because of my age and because I still remember the Todd Van Poppel hype. With Crosby, it might also be a local thing but I definitely remember him being touted as a perennial future all-star shortstop in his rookie year. Which already felt like a rerun of Ben Grieve.

So yeah, I could probably be proven wrong with a few Google searches, but I feel like the A's have had the highest number of highly touted prospects/rookies that ultimately flamed out in MLB. Sorry, G.

Kevin Maas and Brien Taylor notwithstanding. Sorry, Des.

The Pirates are probably in this conversation, as well, but Harb doesn't even root for them so whatever.
GIncognto

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Todd Van Poppel was maybe, MAYBE a little overhyped and doomed to fail.

(to be honest Classic going 2 for 3 on this minor league card was pretty good considering the two cards below)

Just because you mentioned Maas

Spoiler: none of them were aces

All teams have a lot of prospects that fizzled but Van Poppel was certainly high profile one. Regarding Grieve and Crosby, they were definitely highly-touted but remembered even more because they won Rookie of the Year...and both were lucky to do that since they had decent years with good timing since no AL rookies in those seasons had notable years. You can add Andrew Bailey to the list but he was a pitcher that got injured so I don't know how heavily you weigh that. He was real good his first two seasons.

For the Yankees, in addition to Taylor and Maas I think I would count Hideki Irabu. I'm sure Des can remember plenty more. They shipped one to the A's that will probably end up counting for both teams: Dustin Fowler.

Pirates - nobody wants to remember Chad Hermansen, Kris Benson, John Van Benschoten, or Bryan Bullington but they existed and I remember them being big deals when they came up. Bullington was the number one pick in the 2003 draft and his career was absolute ass. Jameson Taillon was the top pitching prospect in baseball at one time but he can't seem to keep his arm attached.

Also don't forget that for the Angels, Brandon Wood, Dallas McPherson, and Jeff Mathis were three of the top prospects in the game in the early 00's.
Foleyite

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GIncognto wrote:

Also don't forget that for the Angels, Brandon Wood, Dallas McPherson, and Jeff Mathis were three of the top prospects in the game in the early 00's.

Oh, I haven't forgotten. Almost every Angel blog/message board conversation in the early 2000s was about how McPherson, Wood, Casey Kotchman and Mathis were the future of this club, and if you can't see that - then YOU SIR, just don't know baseball.

I don't mind the Angels being lumped in the conversation, but Trout kinda makes throwing them in a "team with a history of overhyped prospects that were busts" list seem currently irrelevant. Trout aside, I feel like they don't have enough dramatic hot prospect flame-outs in their history and even putting him aside, they've had several touted prospects work out pretty well so their success rate (at least during my lifetime) isn't too shabby: Jim Abbott, Tim Salmon, Jered Weaver, Darin Erstad, Troy Glaus, etc.

The Mets and Padres are 2 other teams that come to mind for this distinct honor. Godspeed, Lastings Milledge.
GIncognto

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll let you slide with Trout but the guys before him...I mean every team has plenty of success stories to go along with the duds. From the mid-90's to early 00's Jason Giambi, Miguel Tejada, Eric Chavez, Tim Hudson, Barry Zito, and Mark Mulder were all decently hyped for the A's and they all were good for varying amounts of time.

Since Ben Grieve was mentioned:

HelloDes

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The real "FUCK FACE." Mmmmm.

Foleyite

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GIncognto wrote:
I'll let you slide with Trout but the guys before him...I mean every team has plenty of success stories to go along with the duds. From the mid-90's to early 00's Jason Giambi, Miguel Tejada, Eric Chavez, Tim Hudson, Barry Zito, and Mark Mulder were all decently hyped for the A's and they all were good for varying amounts of time.

Actually, yeah, the mid-'80s and early-'00s prospects were a bunch of studs for Oakland, so I'll take it back and say that the Padres probably have the worst record of drafting prospect busts when they could have drafted a plethora of all-stars in an alternate universe.

Here is probably my favorite Padre card of all-time.

GIncognto

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ricky Ledee looks like he's secretly Sammy Guevara's father.

I always liked Bip, even without a sombrero, most probably because his name was BIP. He was one of those guys that stealthily ended his career with the A's, though I guess a bit below the level of Frank Thomas, Nomar Garciaparra, and Mike Piazza.

Regarding the Padres, I think whoever is in charge or drafting guys took a 40 year siesta after picking this guy:

Harb

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This blurb from Van Poppel's Wikipedia makes me happy.

"The Atlanta Braves had seriously considered using the first overall selection on Van Poppel. However, when Van Poppel explicitly told the Braves he would not sign with them, the team opted instead to take Chipper Jones."
Harb

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HelloDes wrote:
The real "FUCK FACE." Mmmmm.

No boners at work, no boners at work, no boners at work.......
GIncognto

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harb wrote:

HelloDes

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harb wrote:

That's so weird to me. I've never had a job where boners weren't mandatory.
Foleyite

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many "Wow, they used the #1 draft pick on THAT guy and missed out on THAT guy?!" stories, but the Padres going all in on Matt Bush and letting Justin Verlander go to the Detroit Tigers has to be a contender for being the biggest (mandatory) boner.
GIncognto

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There could not be a more perfect segue to this card:

Justin Verlander and somebody who didn't quite pan out named Richard Harden.
HelloDes

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You gotta make allowances for injuries (e.g. Brien Taylor, Ben McDonald, David Clyde, Steve Chilcott).

And you also can't really say "Shawn Abner instead of Greg Maddux" when Maddux was the #31 pick.

I think my choice is the 2006 Royals: They drafted Luke Hochevar over Clayton Kershaw AND Max Scherzer (and also the wonderful but less durable Tim Lincecum). That's a 3-out-of-4 chance at the same position, and they took Door #4.
GIncognto

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course some allowance has to be made for injuries, especially pitchers like the above James Richard Harden (he was screwed using either name), but I'd make an exception for Brien Taylor since he destroyed his shoulder in a fistfight at a trailer park rather than playing baseball.

Another overly hyped guy I forgot about for the A's was Ariel Prieto, a Cuban defector who was the 5th pick in the 1995 draft and rushed to the majors, where he never did anything. He was later a coach, and served as the interpreter for a hyped A's player that did work out (for the A's, if not for the Mets in recent years), Yoenis Cespedes. Here he is giving his best "Hmmph, I don't wanna play ANYWAY." face.

Foleyite

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That guy's doing alright for himself portraying Eric Trump on SNL's Weekend Update now, at least.

HelloDes

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of which, I recommend the very recent episode of David Spade's chat show on Comedy Central that featured Norm Macdonald, Dennis Miller and Kevin Nealon. All four of them had good moments.

It's the best episode of Spade's show I've ever seen. It's also [insert the totally obvious comedy rug-pull].
Foleyite

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Spade's show. I mostly just enjoy Spade's humor generally I guess, but the looseness and lightness of the show actually feels refreshing and makes me oddly nostalgic for '90s/'00s shows like The Soup, Tough Crowd, the older ABC version of Politically Incorrect, etc. I'm also kind of a sucker for old SNL stuff, so this is catnip for me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VGMuseum Forum Index -> GX All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: