VGMuseum
Video Games ''''Я'''' Us

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Ultimate World Wrestling Entertainmentİ Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 52, 53, 54

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Foleyite

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off the top of your head: when was the last time a "Hell in a Cell" match meant something or was really great? Or was even really memorable at all, in any way?

I do remember one where Sheamus put the STEEL STEPS in the middle of the ring, stood on them and gave whoever he was facing a backbreaker. Not onto the steps, onto his own knee as usual. But he was STANDING on the STEEL STEPS, so you can imagine how much more it hurt the other guy.
HelloDes

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foleyite wrote:
I do remember one where Sheamus put the STEEL STEPS in the middle of the ring, stood on them and gave whoever he was facing a backbreaker. Not onto the steps, onto his own knee as usual. But he was STANDING on the STEEL STEPS, so you can imagine how much more it hurt the other guy.

My favorite of these is still Baron von Raschke's devastating "claw" hold. The little-appreciated key to the claw is actually the left hand, gripping the right forearm. That seemingly irrelevant detail is where the power comes from, like a baseball pitcher's legs.

HelloDes

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sign #7,106 that I'm mentally defective: I just noticed for the first time tonight that the static and chatter at the beginning of the Shield's entrance music spells out S-H-I-E-L-D in the NATO phonetic transcription alphabet.

I never paid attention to what was actually being said, and just accepted it as generic "bulletin, bulletin, Godzilla is approaching"-type radio squawk. Now I wonder what else I've missed. Maybe Shane McMahon's song is about his money? And what if Jimmy Wang Yang's redneck theme was ironic?
Foleyite

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kind of a stunning "dawned on me" moment.

In that same vein - and I think my addled brain may have brought this up before - but for the longest time as a kid, I never understood why the hell Tito Santana had the planet Saturn on the back of his trunks. It was probably only a few years ago while watching some old show on the Network that my brain said "Oh wait, it's supposed to be a sombrero. To denote that he is Mexican."
Harb

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent job of turning your most over babyface (Strowman) into your most generic heel, all in the name of getting Roman over.
Foleyite

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't matter because there's no competition and the audience will accept whatever, remember?

It's not like there are non-WWE wrestlers or companies out there drawing 11,000+* to an arena or anything.

* - This is almost twice the size of ECW's biggest crowd in history; and we know how much ECW threatened the Big Two and are now retroactively talked up as being "revolutionary game-changers" now that they no longer exist & have been absorbed into the WWE network.
Foleyite

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The Kickoff Show panel for WWE Hell in a Cell pay-per-view will feature Jonathan Coachman, Booker T, David Otunga, Sam Roberts, and Peter Rosenberg.

Good lord.
HelloDes

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, Roman Reigns really had to overcome another series of unfair obstacles tonight to hold onto his title.

Yes, he's the most polarizing figure in the WWE Universe. But he's tough and resilient and ready to face any challenge. A true fighting champion.

Even after surviving the odds tonight, we can expect the future to hold even more surprises for this rugged Samoan. But he's likely to have a few surprises of his own. One thing's for sure, you can never count out Roman Reigns.
Foleyite

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Imagine if Major League Baseball told us "The AL MVP for the past 4 years has clearly been Nelson Cruz. Mike Trout and these other guys only got votes from the hardcore niche fan-types and Trout has a nice, solid placing further down the list anyway, so stop whining about it on social media."

That's what the Roman Reigns push feels like.
HelloDes

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's something to enjoying the iron-headed WWE booking and depth chart as a living expression of psychological therapy for McMahon and Helmsley and McMahon-Helmsley. But the whole point of therapy is that eventually you're supposed to make progress.
KaneRobot

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foleyite wrote:
as a kid, I never understood why the hell Tito Santana had the planet Saturn on the back of his trunks.

I thought it was a flying saucer. When I figured out it was a sombrero, I was disappointed.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, fuck the Mexican Culture. Hail Ants.
Foleyite

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KaneRobot wrote:
Foleyite wrote:
as a kid, I never understood why the hell Tito Santana had the planet Saturn on the back of his trunks.

I thought it was a flying saucer. When I figured out it was a sombrero, I was disappointed.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, fuck the Mexican Culture. Hail Ants.

On a similar note, a friend growing up once said to me during a Paul Orndorff match: "If his name is "Mr. Wonderful", why does it say "Mr. #1 Delightful" on his trunks?" I tried explaining that there is not enough room on his trunks for "Mr. #1 Delightful" and that was probably the whole point of having the 1 on there, because the actual full word "wonderful" was pretty long to have on there". He stared at me blankly and I'm pretty sure he brought it up again later.
HelloDes

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But... butt... butt...

I'd like to say that there was room to print "JUSTIN HAWK BRADSHAW IS #1DERFUL, #3MENDOUS AND #4MIDABLE" in 48-sized font on Bradshaw's ass, but that would only get me banned from AOL again.
Foleyite

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
A combination of network season premieres and a strong NFL game led Raw to what will undoubtedly be the lowest rated episode in its history last night.

While excuses can be made, and those were the reason for the low number, there are season premieres every year and NFL big games every season. Last year's Raw during the same week did 2.91 million viewers, so that's a 19 percent year-to-year drop.

Everything is fine.
Foleyite

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meltzer is reporting that Des' favorite-named Ring of Honor wrestler, Punishment Martinez, is NXT/WWE-bound.

Weird because Martinez doesn't really seem like an indie wrestler with a lot of buzz like most of the other recent indie signings.

Funny because Meltzer has referred to Martinez as being a "better version of Baron Corbin".
HelloDes

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And now he won't even be "Punishment Martinez" anymore. They'll rebrand him as "Retribution O'Rourke."

Was Punishment given a 20-second spotlight sequence in that "All In" pre-broadcast battle royal? I think so. But if not, then I've never seen him at all.
Foleyite

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HelloDes wrote:

Was Punishment given a 20-second spotlight sequence in that "All In" pre-broadcast battle royal? I think so. But if not, then I've never seen him at all.

He was one of the most featured guys in the battle royal. He eliminated the Best Friends, had a BATTLE OF THE ATHLETIC BIG MEN sequence with Brian Cage and then got chokeslammed by The Hurricane. He took some vintage offense from Tommy Dreamer (complete with Dusty Rhodes flip, flop, Bionic Elbow tribute). He was eventually eliminated by Son of a Gunn, after taking Billy Gunn down.

I didn't remember all of this off the top of my head, mind you.

But the main Punishment Martinez-related highlight from ALL IN was when Excalibur said on commentary that Punishment was estranged from his brother, Encouragement Martinez.
HelloDes

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On tonight's Raw, there was a very funny fan eruption that drowned out the Elias/Kevin Owens segment. And the reaction was based on a generic bit of Elias' audience abuse routine, which referred to something that happened ten years ago. Watching Elias and Owens (a) handle it; (b) get sidelined by it; (c) egg it on; and (d) try semi-successfully to plow through it was quite entertaining.

Also, the "psychological poison" feud between Strowman, Ziggler, McIntyre and the Shield has been unusually well-written by the creative team. For once they've compiled a series of credible bulletpoints and turned them into a plausible, multi-week storyline that actually holds some interest.

In 2018 terms, a three-week plot that hasn't insulted the audience's attention (yet) is like the saga of the Mega-Powers.
Foleyite

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking forward to Hogan/Piper at Starrcade '96

-I mean, Undertaker vs. Triple H at Koala to Dismember or G'Day in Hell or whatever the hell it's called.
HelloDes

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But this one is for THE LAST TIME EVER, just like Shawn Michaels' final match for always and eternity in 2010.
HelloDes

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the video of the Elias-Owens segment, posted by WWE itself under the title "The Seattle crowd boos Kevin Owens and Elias into oblivion."
Foleyite

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shawn Michaels is bald now.

I thought it was silly for him to still have that long hair when he was clearly balding all these years, but I don't know how I feel about a bald old Shawn Michaels getting back into the ring.
HelloDes

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's not your boy toy.
Foleyite

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
the WWE is trademarking all the old names from WCW, WCCW, etc... not really to use them but to keep other people from doing so since they are pissed that MLW trademarked War Games

If you bastards are gonna bother to trademark 'Halloween Havoc', you better bring it back.
HelloDes

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tough nuts, Vince, no one can stop me from hosting my weekly "Nytro Partiezzz."
Foleyite

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Justin Henry
@JRHWriting
21 years ago, Kane debuted, attacking Undertaker as he faced Shawn, who was seconded by Triple H.

21 years earlier, in 1976, Strongbow, Putski, Volkoff, and Hansen wrestled at a WWE TV taping in Philly.

Remember when those four brawled on that go-home Raw in 1997?

10:42 AM - Oct 5, 2018

Foleyite

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This week's was the best RAW in ages because I don't care how many times it's done; I will always love the "superstar hides in masked outfit and then reveals himself" angle.
HelloDes

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have not seen the last of the Chilean Sea Bass.
Foleyite

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume a few of those Global Battle Royal guys will at least get a few bookings for Chikara's King of Trios or a random NWA show or two.

The guy that used the claw would be a better challenger for the NWA title than most of the guys that have challenged for it recently.
HelloDes

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Chicago Raw crowd was howling for every international Conan O'Brien Presents New Characters superstar in the Whatever Battle Royal, just one week after the Seattle Raw crowd went berserk for five minutes over a generic "insult the town's sports fandom" heel remark.

I gotta say, the WWE fans have been giving their all to the longest running weekly prime time episodic series with negligible hourly title changes to grab three separate slots in the Nielsen ratings ever.
HelloDes

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/mikemorsesays/status/1050102599431667718
Foleyite

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Say what you will about Bret Hart's legacy, but at least when he came back, it wasn't for millions of dollars in blood money to do a reunion tag match with Jim Neidhart.
HelloDes

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shawn Michaels just opened a box containing pieces of missing journalist Jamal Khashoggi, and finally found a smile.
Foleyite

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vince: "Yes, fans, it was then that Shawn Michaels decided he would return and reunite D-GENERATION X for the SURVIVOR SERIES! HAHAHA! ALRIGHT!" ::wipes sweat from brow::
Mr Perfect
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tell you, man: I'm looking forward to seeing how this DX storyline plays out.

Hopefully the group will be participating in the next Saudi Arabia PPV: November to Dismember.
HelloDes

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zach Gowen challenges the Saudi Crown Prince: "I'm way ahead of you, asshole!"
Foleyite

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Call me crazy, but this "putting on a fun show featuring old guys from the Attitude Era for a dictator that had a guy murdered for writing articles about him that he didn't like" strategy seems like a really weird one to convince the Bullet Club guys to jump to WWE in 2019.
HelloDes

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For this one Saudi Arabia show, Roman Reigns' devastating "Superman Punch" is being rebranded "The Escalating Fistfight."
Foleyite

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume Vince is very pleased that there's a company running ads about erectile dysfunction with the tagline "GET ROMAN" during the MLB playoffs.
HelloDes

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a hard-on for building your entire company around Roman Reigns that lasts more than four years...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VGMuseum Forum Index -> GX All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 52, 53, 54
Page 54 of 54

Jump to: