VGMuseum
Video Games ''''Я'''' Us

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Training Hall in Order of Ecclesia

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VGMuseum Forum Index -> MrP's Castlevania Realm
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SqualidPumpkin

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 8:46 pm    Post subject: Training Hall in Order of Ecclesia Reply with quote

Who else really liked this level? I just started the level a few weeks ago, haven't been playing the game much but got back into it tonight and mastered the whole thing. The level design really hearkens back to the pre-Symphony days when short, challenging levels went a long way. I love the opportunity to really use the Magnes glyph - probably one of the most original abilities Shanoa has on other series characters.

It makes me think Koji Igarashi can do very interesting level design if he only works at it. Who else would like to see more Training Hall-esque levels in future Castlevania games?
SqualidPumpkin

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just played through the Training Hall as Albus and I'm pleased to say it's a whole different, though equally rewarding, experience. His teleportation ability really gives him an edge, though he can't use the Magnes glyph and thus has trouble staying in one place mid-air, meaning you have to balance him out inbetween fire and spikes. I had to play the bottom-left portion of the map, come back and save, then the top-right, come back and save, in order to get the whole map filled out.
Mr Perfect
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Symphony formula could be used to create unique platforming scenarios, but for it to be interesting, the creators would have to put more restrictions on the hero characters and supply a real sense of danger via these shortcomings. Characters are too overpowered, otherwise, the result of which is a design philosophy that dictates "platforming" to mean "you can't reach a high-up doorway until you return here with increased jumping power" and "come back when you have the means to simply fly over these spikes." Give the player a super-jump ability and you have no reason to try crafting creative obstacles.

So the lack of real platforming has more to do, I think, with the design philosophy rather than the adventure-RPG formula. For instance: Simon's Quest is an adventure-RPG, but it still features classic action-game conventions held over from Castlevania (like dying by falling into a pit).

I think Rondo's stage-design would be a solid substitute: Place a flexible yet limited hero in a controlled environment where he or she can explore, yes, but can't always turn back; this would allow for the creators to experiment with twisting and turning rooms, wall-walking, and the like without there being an open-ended "rooms" structure that would be disrupted by such design.

I'd be up for it.
SqualidPumpkin

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, using the Magnes glyph is so much more fun than just flying/super-jumping your way around. That's one of the cool things about the Training Hall, that you're limited, even if only by one glyph.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VGMuseum Forum Index -> MrP's Castlevania Realm All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: