VGMuseum
Video Games ''''Я'''' Us

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Metroidvania List / Metroidvanias in Review

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VGMuseum Forum Index -> MrP's Castlevania Realm
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SqualidPumpkin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:05 am    Post subject: Metroidvania List / Metroidvanias in Review Reply with quote

Hey all! Squalid Pumpkin here. I've recently created a list of games fitting the Metroidvania criteria (as well as generally Castlevania- and Metroid-esque games), and would like to share it with you all and ask if any of you have any other titles to offer, or perhaps suggestions for the list. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Super Metroid, Kirby & the Amazing Mirror, Tomba!, Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap, Mega Man ZX, Cave Story, Shadow Complex etc., they're all here. There's also a category for Castlevania-esque games like the Shaman King: Master of Spirits series, 8 Eyes, Inferus, Barnyard Blast: Swine of the Night and one for Metroid-esque games like Scurge: Hive.

The list can be found at Mr. P's Castlevania Realm, from the following link...
http://www.vgmuseum.com/mrp/multi/Essays/essay-squalidpumpkin5.htm

8-Bit

Last edited by SqualidPumpkin on Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
SqualidPumpkin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just sent Mr. P an update to "Metroidvania List", which can also be found on Listal, where I frequent under the username "Pumpkinate":

http://www.listal.com/list/metroidvania
http://www.listal.com/list/castlevaniaesque
http://www.listal.com/list/metroidesque

Very nifty site if you like to keep track of what you own or list things. The Listal version of the Metroidvania list has less items on it than the vgmuseum.com/mrp version due to not all the items (especially the online ones) being in the Listal database. Plus, it was on vgmuseum.com first!
SqualidPumpkin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Metroidvania List has been updated with neater alignment for the games. There are still some updates to be made - especially when the next burst of new Metroidvanias comes pouring in with the release of the 3DS.

I've begun work on another article titled Metroidvanias in Review. I'm keeping myself busy with lots of games so I can add some more reviews to this list (and for fun, of course), so expect it to grow. I'm also collecting pictures since that always helps pretty a review up.

I am working on a Listal version of that last one, but will release it to the public when it's more comprehensive so I can receive more votes and thus the list will get more noticed.

As, contrary to Listal, there's no way to comment on these things besides shooting me an e-mail, if anyone has any comments on any of these articles just make a post here and I'll respond. Thanks!
SqualidPumpkin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so I've updated my Metroidvanias in Review article . A while back I released the Listal version too, in case anyone wants to check that out as well.

What's been added:

1) I touched up a couple of the older reviews for minor specific reasons.

2) I added a review for Super Smash Bros. Brawl, "The Great Maze" to the Consoles section.

3) I added reviews for Dr. Franken and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III: Radical Rescue to the Handhelds section.

4) I added reviews for Daniel X: The Ultimate Power and Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions to the end of the Handhelds section.

I plan on making a somewhat minor (though important) update to my Metroidvania List soon... I'll post it here when that happens.
SqualidPumpkin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Metroidvania List has been updated! What's been changed (beyond the usual addition of new titles/arranging of titles in proper sections):

1) Since I've received two e-mails sharing some, I added a Flash subsection to the Onlines section.

2) I added descriptions of each credit to the Credits section describing how exactly each contributor helped out.

3) I abbreviated most of the primary systems to those the video game community is used to, to conserve space. The indenting has been altered to match the thinner listings.
Angantyr

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

niiiiiice work! keep it up!

check out my myspace:
Mardukh & the Homesick Fonds Control

From Chosen to Chewzer, to a naught.
SqualidPumpkin

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much, guy! Obviously I haven't updated either for a few months, but I'm certainly keeping tabs on what new MVs come out and own several that I need to play and review.
SqualidPumpkin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update!

The Metroidvania List has been constantly updated. Anyone out there who knows of any more, please feel free to contact me from the link in the first post on this thread or post... in... the thread. Bah, I need to shake up my diction more.

New reviews which can be found in Metroidvanias in Review...

Metroids:
Super Metroid
Metroid Fusion
Metroid: Zero Mission

Handhelds:
Spider-Man (Game Boy Color)
Alice in Wonderland

Overworld (Or Otherwise Divided) Metroidvanias:
Tails Adventure
Wario Land 3
Wario: Master of Disguise

Enjoy!
Angantyr

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

making lists is fun. I list LPs by band and video games by series!

check out my myspace:
Mardukh & the Homesick Fonds Control

From Chosen to Chewzer, to a naught.
SqualidPumpkin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to advertise, but you should love Listal, then. Here's a few lists I've made that I'm particularly proud of and which should give you a sense of what can be done with the site:

All-Time Favorite Video Games | Comic Book Collection | Game Characters Meme | Giant Monster/Robot Movie Faves | Greatest Giant Monsters/Robots | Childhood TV Favorites
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VGMuseum Forum Index -> MrP's Castlevania Realm All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: