VGMuseum
Video Games ''''Я'''' Us

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The "Needs Help Translating Japanese" Thread

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VGMuseum Forum Index -> MrP's Castlevania Realm
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr Perfect
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:02 pm    Post subject: The "Needs Help Translating Japanese" Thread Reply with quote

I want to start providing some type of coverage for Judgment, and my current page design for character bios requires the use of a graphic that measures character stats.

You can see this graphic on official site, on the little charts besides the characters.

I want to use a variant of this graphic on my site, but I don't know what it's measuring. I believe the right is "Defense," the left is "Agility, and the top is "Striking." But I can't translate the word on the bottom.

Anyone know?
Patraw

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My knowledge of kanji is extremely limited, so I'm afraid I can't help you--if it was hiragana/katakana, that'd be a different story. I tried putting in some stuff like "speed", "range", etc. in the search criteria in Jeffrey's Online Japanese Dictionary, but I didn't come up with anything.
Patraw

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news, after spending some serious time with my Japanese word processor's kanji radical matcher and dictionary, I was able to figure enough out to find the proper definition on Jeffrey's Online Japanese Dictionary this time:

The Japanese reads "sousasei" (pronounced soh-sah-say). "Operability" is kind of an odd word choice, "control" or "maneuverability" sounds better to me, in the context of a video game. Here's a rundown/translation of what the three individual kanji mean, if you're interested:

Oh, and there's no need to give me credit or anything for the translation, happy to help!
Mr Perfect
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like I'll be covering me some Judgment.

Well, that's if I can bring myself to ever play it again. Still, this will help me in that I'll be able to finish setting up the "Character Bios" pages.

Ain't it the most.
Lashen

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm actually playing through this game right now... let me know if there is anything you need, other than translating that is. Japanese kanji may be the same as many Chinese characters, but the meanings are usually completely different so I can't really help on that.

I am going through the game though, so if there is anything else I might be able to provide information.
Patraw

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After giving it some more thought, maybe "operability" refers to how easy/difficult it is to use the character with the Wii remote? In that context, the word would make more sense.
Mr Perfect
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A contributor called Nocturne is interested in knowing what's being said in this screenshot, which shows a description of the unobtainable "Engagement Ring" item in the Japanese version of Castlevania 64.

It can also be found on my Unused Elements page.
Patraw

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll give translating it a shot. I'll get back to you on it in several days, probably next week.
Patraw

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is only a partial translation, but it's the best I could do with the resources I have and my limited knowledge of Japanese. The areas I have highlighted in blue I could not identify with any degree of certainty (due to the font used in the game, I'm not sure if those particular characters are hiragana/katakana variations or kanji), and are only my best, and probably incorrect, guesses. The basic gist of the Engagement Ring description, so far as I can tell at this point, is "Devil King's gift. Brings Carrie's entire status up 10%." As I said, that's the best I can do on my own, but I'm going to see if I can get some additional help from someone who is fluent in reading Japanese in order to obtain a more definitive/accurate translation that you can use with confidence on your site.

EDIT:

I just got a reply from my request for help with the translation at a Japanese language group I joined, and this is how the person (who is not a native speaker of Japanese or English) translated it:

"A present from the Devil.
Only by holding it, Carrie’s entire status will get 10% upgrade."
Jack Pauro Colombia

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm Japanese.
my english bad!

maou kara no okurimono.
present from Dark Load.

motte iru dake de kyari- no zen sute-tasu ga
with this, all carrie's status

10% appu shimasu.
improves by 10%.
Mr Perfect
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that makes it a consensus. Thanks for the help (to both Mark and the previous poster).

I'll update the entry sometime later today.
Patraw

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know you already updated the page, but here's another translation that I got from yet another person when I asked for help:

maou kara no okurimono
motteiru dakede, Carrie no zen sute-tasu ga juppa-sento appu shimasu.

A gift from the devil king.
Just by holding this (having this with you) Carrie's full status will increase
by 10%.

Pretty much the same thing as what everybody else said.

Oh, and could you also give credit, for the translation, to the members of Yahoo! Groups' 'Japanese Is Ninhongo' Group too? They're the ones that have been assisting me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VGMuseum Forum Index -> MrP's Castlevania Realm All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: