VGMuseum
Video Games ''''Я'''' Us

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WRESTLEMANIA 35

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Foleyite

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:01 pm    Post subject: WRESTLEMANIA 35 Reply with quote

This is looking like the card, thus far.

Confirmed or All-But Confirmed
RAW Womens champ Ronda Rousey vs. Becky Lynch vs. Charlotte Flair
Universal champion Brock Lesnar vs. Seth Rollins
NO HOLDS BARRED: HHH vs. Batista
The Miz vs. Shane McMahon
Randy Orton vs. AJ Styles
WWE champ Daniel Bryan vs. Kofi Kingston
Womens tag champs Sasha/Bayley vs. The Iconics vs. Nia/Tamina vs. Natalya/Phoenix

Likely

U.S. champ Samoa Joe vs. John Cena
Roman Reigns vs. Drew McIntyre
IC champ Bobby Lashley vs. Finn Balor
SD tag champs The Usos vs. The Hardys
SD Womens champ Asuka vs. I dont know, Mandy Rose or someone from NXT
CW champ Buddy Murphy vs. a guy on the pre-show
Raw tag champs The Revival vs. Ricochet/Black on the pre-show

Not the most inspiring card and it feels and looks a lot more "thrown together at the last minute" than WrestleMania has in a long time.
HelloDes

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: WRESTLEMANIA 35 Reply with quote

Foleyite wrote:
Not the most inspiring card and it feels and looks a lot more "thrown together at the last minute" than WrestleMania has in a long time.

I imagine you're ready to change your negative tune, now that WWE is teasing a feud between Elias and No Way Jose.
Foleyite

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:03 am    Post subject: Re: WRESTLEMANIA 35 Reply with quote

HelloDes wrote:

I imagine you're ready to change your negative tune, now that WWE is teasing a feud between Elias and No Way Jose.

Every era deserves its own Virgil vs. Repo Man.
HelloDes

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ready to eat your words yet, Foleyite? At WrestleMania, we're going to see the culmination of the feud between Braun Strowman and Colin Jost.

You say insipid? I say sipid!

You say mundane? I say Tuesdane!

You say humdrum? I say yumdrum!
HelloDes

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meanwhile, across the river, this is the equally disappointing card for Saturday's New Japan/ROH/Etc? show:

IWGP Heavyweight Champion Jay White defending against Kazuchika Okada

ROH World Champion Jay Lethal defending against Marty Scurll and Matt Taven in a triple threat ladder match

IWGP Intercontinental Champion Tetsuya Naito defending against Kota Ibushi

RevPro British Heavyweight Champion Zack Sabre Jr. defending against Hiroshi Tanahashi

Title vs. title match: IWGP Tag Team Champions Tama Tonga & Tanga Loa vs. ROH Tag Team Champions PCO & Brody King vs. The Briscoes vs. EVIL & SANADA

IWGP Junior Heavyweight Champion Taiji Ishimori defending against Dragon Lee and Bandido in a triple threat match

Bully Ray New York City street fight open challenge (Flip Gordon expected to accept)

Women of Honor World Champion Mayu Iwatani defending against Kelly Klein

Rush vs. Dalton Castle (with The Boys)

Title vs. title match: NEVER Openweight Champion Will Ospreay vs. ROH TV Champion Jeff Cobb

30-entrant Honor Rumble match (pre-show; Jushin Thunder Liger is the first announced participant)

And I will be sitting in the FRONT ROW!!!! (*)

*of my section
Foleyite

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Omega leaving stings, because Jay White just isn't a good-enough replacement for Kenny. I'm certain they would have given the American fans an Okada/Omega match had Omega's situation turned out differently with AEW and all. It seems like a fine-enough card. I think Okada wins the title, so they can give the US fans a major title change and Okada really is the face of the company anyway. They should be focusing on him, now that the popular gaijins aren't gonna be around to build the US shows around.

I'm gonna be in town for NXT TakeOver and I'm still debating what other rasslin' shows I should bother with seeing that week. At least it won't be 8 hours long like WrestleMania.
HelloDes

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, even though you could pick any one of the top four or five New Japan guys and basically be right, I think Omega has been the best overall performer of the past 2 years. Wrestling, that is; his mic work is nothing much.

Just when WWE television has improved from awful to reasonable, and when New Japan has tightened the delay between their live shows and the TV airings, now I guess I gotta watch AEW too. I had more stamina for this sort of thing when I was watching six and a half hours of Raw and Nitro.

In the same vein, I do try to maintain a list of the 5-, 6- and 17-star matches, most of which can be found on YouTube or DailyMotion or some .ru dark web site that'd steal my identity and ATM code. But the ridiculous list of Match of the Year matches just keeps getting longer every week now, as I mostly don't spare the 25 minutes apiece to watch them.

Young me used to watch Jim Duggan and Hillbilly Jim and Hercules Hernandez wander around aimlessly. If he knew the scope of readily available acrobatics I'm passing up, I'd kick me in the nuts.
Foleyite

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's hard to keep up with everything. I don't understand how fans have the time to keep up with so many promotions.

WWE now has their own satellite promotions, for one thing. And New Japan is easily accessible. Impact is still chugging along. Ring of Honor has a weekly TV show. That's about where I draw the line on keeping up with stuff, basically.

But somehow, fans are also keeping up with MLW, PWG, RevPro and whatever else in the UK, House of Hardcore, AAA, and god knows what else? In a sad way, in this age of infinite content, I'd almost appreciate a promotion closing up shop; the same way I breathe a sigh of relief when a TV show I watch comes to an end or gets cancelled. "Phew, that's one less thing off the list."
HelloDes

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My main wrestling-watching buddy (the one who acquired my New Japan ticket) watches ALL of it. And he follows tons of TV shows and listens to podcasts and on and on. I don't know how he does it. I generally set my own schedule, yet I'm behind on everything.

And then I'm the annoying asshole who goes to his house to watch every fifth or sixth WWE Network not-a-PPV show and unjokingly asks, "Who's that?" And it turns out to be someone like the NXT champion for the past half year. And I go, "Oh, okay, I've read about him in the Observer." And he doesn't understand my watching schedule, either.

For example, I've still never watched an Elimination Chamber show.
Foleyite

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WrestleMania is too damn long. I still haven't seen all of it and I'm not even counting the pre-show, or the Hall of Fame stuff, RAW or Smackdown.

TakeOver was great and fun as hell to be there live. I don't think anything on Mania will be as good as the opening and closing matches on TakeOver.

It sounds like the NJPW stuff on the G1 Supercard was great, but the sports entertainmenty debuts of people I don't ever need to see on TV again in the ROH segments don't inspire much confidence in ROH's future. They signed a handful of indy guys with buzz, they have a core group of CMLL/NJPW guys they're borrowing frequently - how hard is it to showcase your new crop of guys? Matt Taven, Bubba Ray Dudley, Enzo & Cass and a TNA act from a decade ago is the hand you play when everyone is paying attention? Oof.

Also, I kinda wanna see some of these Joey Janela/Ryan Penis Party Battle Royal Featuring Nude People and a Guy with No Legs shows one of these days. Hell, even Impact's WrestleMania Week show sounded fun.

Add it all to the never-ending list of keeping up with the S.D. Joneses.
HelloDes

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the New Japan stuff next to the Ring of Honor stuff was like Big Cass next to Enzo.

And that was fun for a few minutes, since we had a decent view of the "ringside melee." And when I saw a tall guy in the middle of it, I joked out loud, "Oh no, it's Big Cass!" Then, about a minute later, I saw the shorter guy with dyed hair and said, "Wait, that could actually be Enzo... maybe it really is Big Cass!"

For the purposes of "this isn't supposed to be happening," they cut off the video screen so as "not to show them." Which is fine as a story point -- but for arena-wide recognition purposes, it was not a good idea to dress Cass and Enzo in the 838th and 839th black T-shirts of the night. Or 15,839th if you count the crowd. And no, I'm not exaggerating:
https://twitter.com/JeffJSays/status/1114703559562596352

(MY shirt was a shirt, with blue and white stripes.)

And then my friend who'd been spending half the show tweeting about the show and refreshing and checking out social media reaction went phone-hunting for Enzo and Cass mentions, until he got confirmation that the invasion was planned. Which we'd assumed due to the inertia of arena security.

The big disappointment was the Kazuchika Okada match, which was good enough but nothing like the epic iconic New Japan in New York classic that was clearly trying to be promoted and portrayed. Not really Okada's fault. Jay White just isn't Kenny Omega (or Naito, or Tanahashi, or Ishii, or Ibushi, or...) Would've been the best match on Wrestlemania, but it was the third or fourth best of this card-- I'd put it fourth, after the Dragon Lee-Taiji Ishimori-Bandido acrobatics.

ROH did have one great match, the ladders one with Lethal and Taven and the WWE-bound Scurll, with an original final bump to close it out. Earlier in the match, two ladders jammed into the shape of an "X" were tossed over the top rope, where they took an unlucky bounce and hit people in the first row. This was followed by loud chants of "THAT'S A LAWSUIT."

The best match was indisputably. mathematically and epistemologically Naito-Ibushi, which was just great. If the Observer says any different, it'll be FAKE NEWS.

They tried to pull a series of surprises, but the one that landed the best with the crowd was when the unbilled Minoru Suzuki came out at the start of their battle royal. Muta got a similar response later in the same match, but MSG really went apeshit for Suzuki.
KaneRobot

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wrestlemania was really long so my memory is a little muddled on some things, but I think this was my favorite part.

Foleyite

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm now caught up with WrestleMania content. Based on my comments over the years, I bet you can't guess which two matches I liked the least!

Seriously - one way to cut some time is not let the owner's son and son-in-law get 40 minutes each for their matches, video packages and entrances every year. It's like the only time they wrestle all year, they're 50something years old and the matches suck, even with all the booking bells & whistles they're afforded. Shane and HHH not being booked on the show should trim an hour right there.
HelloDes

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shane-Miz match might have been the fourth best match on the show. This is both a compliment and an indictment.

I too could happily live the rest of my life without needing to see another 18 minutes of Triple-H's dry ice Spinal Tap cosplay.
Foleyite

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HelloDes wrote:
The Shane-Miz match might have been the fourth best match on the show. This is both a compliment and an indictment.

OFFICIAL WM35 MATCH RANKINGS OFF THE TOP OF MY HEAD

1) Bryan-Kofi
2) SD tag title 4-way
3) Becky/Charlotte/Ronda
4) Nese-Murphy
5) Styles-Orton
6) Revival-Hawkins/Ryder

7) Rollins-Lesnar
Cool Rey-Joe
9) Finn-Lashley
10) Corbin-Angle

11) mens battle royal
12) womens battle royal
13) Roman-McIntyre
14) Womens tag title 4way
15) Shane-Miz
16) HHH-Batista

7-10 were nothing special, but brevity is better than long, boring & bad.

Aside from being too long and not really having a classic match, it was actually a fun Mania that left people feeling happy with booking decisions, so it's probably the best Mania since WM30? That one didn't really have any classics either, but Bryan/HHH was better than anything on this show and the whole Bryan story/title win and the Undertaker streak ending really gave it a lot of oomph.
HelloDes

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foleyite wrote:
Cool Rey-Joe

...Where you goin' with that gun in your hand?
Foleyite

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HelloDes wrote:
Foleyite wrote:
Cool Rey-Joe

...Where you goin' with that gun in your hand?

And the wind... cries...

BURRRNNN IT DOOOOOOOOOWN

Speaking of which, Big E air-guitaring Seth Rollins' theme was probably the best part of the RAW after Mania.
HelloDes

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HelloDes wrote:
The big disappointment was the Kazuchika Okada match, which was good enough but nothing like the epic iconic New Japan in New York classic that was clearly trying to be promoted and portrayed. Not really Okada's fault. Jay White just isn't Kenny Omega (or Naito, or Tanahashi, or Ishii, or Ibushi, or...) Would've been the best match on Wrestlemania, but it was the third or fourth best of this card-- I'd put it fourth, after the Dragon Lee-Taiji Ishimori-Bandido acrobatics.

ROH did have one great match, the ladders one with Lethal and Taven and the WWE-bound Scurll, with an original final bump to close it out. Earlier in the match, two ladders jammed into the shape of an "X" were tossed over the top rope, where they took an unlucky bounce and hit people in the first row. This was followed by loud chants of "THAT'S A LAWSUIT."

The best match was indisputably, mathematically and epistemologically Naito-Ibushi, which was just great. If the Observer says any different, it'll be FAKE NEWS.

So I get the Observer. And as I smell-ell-elled, the Okada-White match has been deemed to be better than the Naito-Ibushi match by 54 fan votes, and by a fourth of a * in the Meltzertron calculator.

Now you can call me crazy for also preferring the ladder match AND the three-way Juniors title match. But anyone who picked Okada-White as the superior match of the night over Naito-Ibushi could just as well have cast their votes for back in February before they announced the card. Hey, I wanted it to be the best match, too.

Dave Meltzer says Okada comes across as the best wrestler in the world today. I can buy that. But he also says that Jay White will be "on Okada's heels" in a couple of years. If you say so, Dave. In the meantime, today, White's single greatest skill atop the New Japan mountain is that Kenny Omega left. And if he hadn't, New Japan booking makes it clear that Okada would have won the title from Omega in the night's actual best match.

Yeah, everybody's good. And getting Jay White "forced down our throats" is a lot more palatable than a diet of Baron Corbin and Shane McMahon. But I saw what I saw what I saw.
Foleyite

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, because of the their training dojos and general working style, you're not gonna get a lot of Enzo Amores on New Japan's shows. But the blessing/curse of those expectations is that Jay White really does feel like a Cody Rhodes/Miz-level guy on a show where you've got A+ superworkers. You'll get no arguments from me that Okada is one of the best wrestlers in the world today. But also, his best matches are with guys that are in the A+ superworker club. When he's in there with a Jay White or a Bad Luck Fale, he still has good matches, but not match-of-the-night matches. That's also why I rate Omega ahead of Okada. Kenny can squeeze entertainment and pathos out of a match with Toru Yano or Cody and bring them up to another level. I don't see that as much with Okada. I'm excited when Okada has a great opponent to work with; but I could watch Naito, Daniel Bryan or Omega wrestle The Godfather, Big Cass or 2019 Terry Funk because they just seem to have that "ok well, I'll find a way to make this interesting" creative mindset every time they work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VGMuseum Forum Index -> GX All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: