VGMuseum
Video Games ''''Я'''' Us

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Late Night with Conan O' Brien Appreciation Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
HelloDes

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The very least they could have done for the last show was to make a little Bob Barker out of cardboard, and then let it yodel its way into a ravine of death. LAZY.
Foleyite

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The DVR cut off the last 5 minutes of the Conan Finale.

I screamed "NO!" at my TV like it was a bad dog.

But I watched it online a few minutes later, so everything's fine.

It was good. They pretty much cleaned house in the Conan Moment vault, the Abe Vigoda skit was great, Andy came back, Will Ferrell made an expected cameo, Conan upped the ante on the set destruction, Conan did do a 'serious farewell' moment but didn't lose his shit. I also did a Dwight Schrute-esque fire engine fist pump when Conan said his thing about not changing his humor ("this is who I am, for better or worse") for The Tonight Show. Good times.

True or false: I was crying during the last few minutes.
GIncognto

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FALSE because I was not crying.

But yeah that was a pretty good way to end it. Not overly sappy.
XDXSCSA123: NICE AND SOFT
XDXSCSA123: NOW LIP LOCK
XDXSCSA123: SEX
HelloDes

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a little hard to sell the "unforgettable TV farewell" angle when THE GUY'S NOT LEAVING. Seriously, we had to wait longer for Tony Soprano to come back.
Foleyite

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
NBC has just announced that Andy Richter will reunite with Conan O'Brien as the announcer of The Tonight Show.

GIncognto

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No more Joel Godard and his Asian boy-toy Toshi?

I love that Andy will be back, but I also feel bad for him, having to crawl back after several failed projects.
HelloDes

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
NBC has just announced that Andy Richter will reunite with Conan O'Brien as the announcer of The Tonight Show.

The future, Conan?

This will make Richter the most insanely overqualified announcer in Tonight Show history. Of course, he only has to beat out Edd Hall, Stuttering John and Ed McMahon.

It also means that Andy Richter's bottomfeeding Cash4Gold commercial is now scheduled to shoot in April, 2028.
Foleyite

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After celebrating, I thought "Wait a minute, why not just make him the sidekick again?" I don't want to lose Joel and Andy's too good to just use as an announcer. But Joel is like seventy-eleven years old and is probably retiring. Also, Conan has already said that Andy will be a part of the writing of the show and be in skits again, so I guess there's not that much of a difference really. I can assure you that I will be the diehard nerd at the Tonight Show tapings, yelling "BRING BACK ANDY"S SISTER!", "STARING CONTEST!" and other delightful things.

It's been frustrating over the years to see Andy be in crap that he's better than and in quality funny stuff that was never given a chance. So I don't view this as "he's crawling back 'cause his other projects failed". I see it as him returning to what he's best known for, what he's best at and it's a steady gig for a guy who deserves one and selfishly, a chance for me to see him be funny in something that's not shitty or a 3-minute cameo in a Will Ferrell movie. I like that his friends have given him bones over the years with some amusing bit parts (Arrested Development, 30 Rock), but I need more Richter in my life. I was really pissed that Andy Barker P.I. was on for literally a month before they canceled it. That's my favorite post-Late Night Andy project. Conan had an Executive Producer credit on it and I don't know if he had much input, but it was pretty great. It also featured Tony Hale and that actress from Ellen DeGeneres' old show who most people find annoying, but who I have an inexplicable crush on.
Foleyite

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was one classic Andy skit they left out during Classic Conan Week. It's one of the earliest memorable skits I can remember and I'm sure they left it out because they thought it'd seem dated now, especially to younger fans. You have no idea how often the phrase "Not physical pain, no.." has come in handy over the years.

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/andy-barker-pi-andy-testifies-at-the-bobbitt-trial/435248720
HelloDes

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foleyite wrote:
After celebrating, I thought "Wait a minute, why not just make him the sidekick again?"

What's the difference? Ed McMahon was the announcer, and then he walked right on over to the couch for every show. Richter's bound to do the same thing.

It's not like he's John Melendez, where just the sight of him on the couch next to Jay Leno would have looked like a human graph chart arrow going from 0 to 100.
Mr Perfect
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D-do you like him?
GIncognto

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foleyite wrote:
that actress from Ellen DeGeneres' old show who most people find annoying, but who I have an inexplicable crush on.

FOLEYITE IS RIGHT. I thought that chick was hot back when Ellen was on. Plus she's held up pretty well considering she's well over 40.
KaneRobot

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I shouldn't have bothered to post this since, once again, the editing for reruns has deleted the best part (and a 2nd-tier GX catchphrase). Regardless, here 'tis:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_O2Hsg4yQc

Cutting out "DON'T JUST SIT THERE AND TOUCH YOUR MUSTACHE!" is a damn shame.
Foleyite

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KaneRobot wrote:
I shouldn't have bothered to post this since, once again, the editing for reruns has deleted the best part (and a 2nd-tier GX catchphrase). Regardless, here 'tis:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_O2Hsg4yQc

Cutting out "DON'T JUST SIT THERE AND TOUCH YOUR MUSTACHE!" is a damn shame.

There were quite a few Sloptro jokes stolen from/referencing/paying homage to Conan.

BAHU: "Is that what you do? You just sit there and stroke your little moustache?!"

G Incognto: "I was just thinking I'd love to come in there and kick your hot, little Fetal Alcohol Baby ass."

Foleyite

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tonight marks the debut of Late Night with Jimmy Fallon. The Roots are his house band. Robert DeNiro, Justin Timberlake and Van Morrison are his guests. Tomorrow is the epic Tina Fey/Fallon reunion. As an ardent Conan supporter, I wouldn't be doing my job if I didn't act bitter and say "OH, SURE. FALLON GETS HUGE GUESTS RIGHT OFF THE BAT, HUH?! I SEE HOW IT IS" (Yes, I love John Goodman and Radiohead and I'll take them over most guests, but you know what I mean. Especially since 1993 Radiohead could not have been considered a remotely big guest at all.) The bad part for Fallon is that he's new at this hosting thing and DeNiro is one of the worst guests on anything EVER. (Seinfeld voice) Good luck with all o' that.

Wait a minute. Jimmy Fallon. Justin Timberlake. Oh no.

HelloDes

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to worry. By the end of the week, Fallon gets such A++++ guests as Mario Batali, Billy Crudup, Drew Barrymore, and Clap Your Hands Say Yeah. Week Two, the big "get" is... er... Russell Brand, or Kirsten Wiig, or Emily Blunt, or musical guests Lonely Island.

Oh joy of joys, America finally has a talk show!
Foleyite

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallon's premiere wasn't too bad for a first show. Talk shows are a tough format. People judge you (and cancel you) for the first week of shows, but you can't settle into a show like that for a while. The skits were pretty terrible and even though I'm no fan of the guy, I felt bad for Fallon. He was clearly nervous and out of his element in his monologue and with the guests. The highlight was the open with Conan, where the Cone Zone avoided watching Jimmy's show because he was packing up rubber chickens and one of those singing fish things. I'm over Justin Timberlake. "Look at me, bro! I can sing, dance, act, I do impressions and I'm funny too! Haha, Check it out, bro. Michael McDonald impression!" We get it. DeNiro seemed to try to give more of himself and poke more fun at himself than usual, but you can tell he doesn't enjoy doing the talk show thing. It's kind of cool to have The Roots as your house band, but the format/attitude of the show is a little too Carson Daly/Jimmy Kimmel-ish to me.

Fallon: "So are you taking over Jay's old dressing room in L.A.?"

Conan: (stares at Fallon) "Jay's not leaving."

Fallon: "Oh yeah, I read that.."

Conan: "So who are your guests this week?"

Fallon: "DeNiro, Timberlake, Drew Barrymore.."

Conan: "Wow. Those are some big guests... who do you have next week?"

Fallon: "Uh, we've got Jervis...from Survivor...Season 1.... and uh, Right Said Fred..."

(Fallon and Conan both look down at the ground awkwardly)

Fallon: "So this is how it's gonna be, huh?"

Conan: "This is exactly how it's gonna be."
GIncognto

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw it and thought it sucked.

What, you were expecting a detailed analysis?
Mr Perfect
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Booking Robert De Niro had to be a rib on the new guy. They just did it under the pretense of "big star who will attract attention."

If they want to follow through on it, they should fill out next week's lineup with Harrison Ford, Marilyn Manson, Gene Hackman, Evander Holyfield, either Olsen twin, Joaquin Phoenix and Harland Williams.
Foleyite

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait just a minute, Harland Williams is always hilarious when he's on Conan.

After seeing Tina Fey and Justin Timberlake on the show, it's as if they're trying to book people who are big stars but who are also friendly with Fallon and willing to hold his hand and guide him through an interview. I fear for the poor guy when he has to interview some author or some actress from Gossip Girl that he's never met before.

Fallon: "So, I mean, do you like acting? Is it fun? That was a dumb question, don't answer that." :: laughs nervously and scratches hair::
Foleyite

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really miss Conan. I wasn't watching him every night in recent years like I used to, so I guess I sort of took him for granted for a while. But when I'm up at 1 in the morning - knowing that Conan isn't an option is slightly depressing. It's even more depressing when I remind myself that its replacement is Jimmy Fallon asking audience members to lick things for $10.

Fallon isn't completely god-awful or anything. He has some talented and funny people writing for him, as well. But I feel a little like I had an awesome, funny, smart, cool girlfriend who I had a lot in common with and she moved across the country to go to school or because of a job offer too good to pass up. And ya know, maybe we'll get back together in June when she comes out to visit and we "see where we're at" with each other. In the meantime, we've decided that we're gonna see other people and now I'm dating this girl who's actually cuter and she's kinda funny and not a total idiot or anything - but she's just making me realize how awesome my ex was/is. Also, she makes me lick blenders for ten dollars and she keeps talking about how awesome The Roots are all the goddamn time. Le sigh.
Foleyite

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One month to go until the Conan Tonight Show.

'Til then, there's this:
http://www.avclub.com/articles/an-important-message-from-conan-obrien,27678/

I'M HAVING LUNCH WITH SPIELBERG.
Harb

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be seeing Mr. Weinberg tonight, as well as Sylvio. And that guy that grunts a lot. I will take pics of Max makes love to himself.
Foleyite

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're going to see Bruce tonight? Try not to weep during "The Wrestler". Not that I wept when Bruce played LA last month or anything, I'm just saying.
Foleyite

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JUST CONFIRMED: I will be in attendance for the premiere of The Tonight Show with Conan O' Brien. I almost shit my pants.
HelloDes

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New character: Defecating Bear.
HelloDes

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harb

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foleyite wrote:
You're going to see Bruce tonight? Try not to weep during "The Wrestler". Not that I wept when Bruce played LA last month or anything, I'm just saying.

He didn't sing "The Wrestler." Or "Born in the USA." Or "Streets of Philadelphia." Or "Secret Garden." Or "Dancing in the Dark."

So, the show was definitely geared toward the hardcore fans, and even though I'm not one, I am A fan and absolutely loved it. Best show I've probably ever been to. Best crowd I've ever seen for sure.
Harb

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foleyite wrote:
JUST CONFIRMED: I will be in attendance for the premiere of The Tonight Show with Conan O' Brien. I almost shit my pants.

If you dress like Henry Godwinn AND get on tv, you will be promoted to President of GX.
Foleyite

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harb wrote:
Foleyite wrote:

He didn't sing "The Wrestler." Or "Born in the USA." Or "Streets of Philadelphia." Or "Secret Garden." Or "Dancing in the Dark."

So, the show was definitely geared toward the hardcore fans, and even though I'm not one, I am A fan and absolutely loved it. Best show I've probably ever been to. Best crowd I've ever seen for sure.

He never does "Born in the USA", "Streets of Philadelphia" or um, "Secret Garden". (Really?) He did "The Wrestler" when I saw him and he's been doing it on most of the shows. "Dancing in the Dark" he does a lot, I'd say probably every other show. I'm kind of a Bruce fanatic, but I've always told friends that he's worth seeing because the crowd is into it (hell, even in too-cool-for-school L.A., most of the crowd does all the singalong parts, the chants, the fist-pumps, etc.), the band genuinely seems to work hard to put on a good show and Bruce never plays for less than 2 hours. I've seen him a few times at this point and every time out, I've loved it, the shows have been different enough to warrant seeing him again (unlike some bands who have a pretty standard 'greatest hits' set + 4 new songs off the new album) and I've felt like I've got my money's worth.
Foleyite

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updated timeline:

Friday, May 29: Last episode of The Tonight Show with Jay Leno (or TTSWJL or Tits with J.L., as some affectionately refer to it): featuring Conan O'Brien as a guest.

Monday, June 1: The first episode of The Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien with guests Will Ferrell, musical guest Pearl Jam and Foleyite in the crowd. Two words: me and Conan.

Tuesday, June 2: Tom Hanks and musical guest Green Day.

Wednesday, June 3: Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Bradley Cooper and musical guest Sheryl Crow.

Thursday, June 4: Gwyneth Paltrow and musical guest John Mayer Trio. Ehhhhh.... and Friday?

Friday, June 5: Ryan Seacrest and musical guest Chickenfoot.

Well, I knew it wouldn't take long for the quality in guests to plummet.
HelloDes

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you haven't seen this yet, you'll probably like it. The NY Times Magazine, on the pre-switch/post-switch Conan/Leno internecine jostling:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/24/magazine/24Conan-t.html
Harb

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend saw him a few years back (and also went to this one) and said he DID do Born in the USA and other more mainstream songs then.

Not singing Born in the USA is kind of douchebaggy in my opinion, just because I see it as bitterness that he feels he probably has 30-50 songs that are better and isn't happy they didn't acheive quite the same success. Also, he probably got sick of singing it somewhere along the way. But he charges a lot for his tickets and enjoys the money the "mainstream" hits have brought him, I'm sure. Secret Garden, Philadelphia, etc., while mainstream and commercial, aren't "concert" songs per se, nor are they ones I'd want to see performed live so I didn't care about those and didn't really expect them to be sang. Hearing "the Wrestler" would have been cool, though.

I've heard Madonna does the same thing in her concerts, singing maybe 2 or 3 old songs, and then torturing the crowd with new stuff. And a friend saw Aerosmith a few years ago when they put out a Blues album. They sang some hits, then did a five song set from that album and everyone sat down.

Another douchebaggy move was the preaching he did midway through, but he kept it to a minimum so the shear awesomeness of him and his band was enough to override those 2 very miniscule complaints. Overall I'd give the concert an A-, even though I sound a bit whiny as I read back through.
Harb

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foleyite wrote:
Updated timeline:

Friday, May 29: Last episode of The Tonight Show with Jay Leno (or TTSWJL or Tits with J.L., as some affectionately refer to it): featuring Conan O'Brien as a guest.

Monday, June 1: The first episode of The Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien with guests Will Ferrell, musical guest Pearl Jam and Foleyite in the crowd. Two words: me and Conan.

Tuesday, June 2: Tom Hanks and musical guest Green Day.

Wednesday, June 3: Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Bradley Cooper and musical guest Sheryl Crow.

Thursday, June 4: Gwyneth Paltrow and musical guest John Mayer Trio. Ehhhhh.... and Friday?

Friday, June 5: Ryan Seacrest and musical guest Chickenfoot.

Well, I knew it wouldn't take long for the quality in guests to plummet.

This doesn't have much to do with Conan, but if my lady and I were to make a journey to the Los Angels area, could we count on you to be our tour guide, i.e.? It's either that or Disney World. Save me from Mickey.
Foleyite

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce didn't play "Born in the USA" for a long time and when he DID play it, it was this really stark, kinda haunting solo acoustic version. He brought it back on the Rising Tour ('02-'03) and he played it in '04, but it's kinda back to the back-burner.

The whole thing about him not wanting to play "Born in the USA" is that, aside from having other hits and other songs, that song was misinterpreted by so many people. A lot of people took it (and still take it) as an "AMERICA! FUCK YEAH!" song. Reagan tried to use it for his '84 campaign and that rubbed Bruce the wrong way because it was clear that Reagan and his people didn't listen to (or understand) the song whatsoever. The song is so upbeat and the chorus is "BORN! IN THE U! S! A!", so most people don't notice that the lyrics in the verses are fucking depressing as hell. The song's about a guy who goes to fight in the Vietnam War where his brother dies. Then he comes back home to America where he can't get a job anywhere.
Foleyite

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harb wrote:

This doesn't have much to do with Conan, but if my lady and I were to make a journey to the Los Angels area, could we count on you to be our tour guide, i.e.? It's either that or Disney World. Save me from Mickey.

It depends on timing and what you guys wanna see/do (or Sea-Doo) and stuff. (Especially over this summer because I'm gonna be in and out of town over the next 2/3 months.) But even if for whatever reasons, I can't physically guide you around town, I'd tell you what's worth visiting, where you can save a few bucks, how to avoid traffic/busy times, etc etc.
Harb

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fairness to Reagan, Springsteen grunts a lot so maybe he just couldn't make it out? I was fine with him not playing the song as it's not one of my faves, but this being my first Springsteen concert I was a bit surprised. I do have some affection for the song from being a Windham/Rotundo mark in the mid 80's when I first got into wrestling.

Didn't he sing it at the Superbowl, though? SELL OUT.

Just kidding, love him and the concert was the best I've ever seen BY FAR.

The LA trip would be next year, if at all, but I've finally got a chick that actually wants to do stuff, so who knows.
Foleyite

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, Bruce didn't do BITUSA at the Super Bowl. He did, however, yell "STEP A-WAY FROM THE GUACAMOLE!!" at the TV audience, which was much more amusing.

As for Reagan, his campaign theme should have just been John Lennon's "Well Well Well" since every guy who ever did a Reagan impression just said "Well.." in an old man voice.

Bad '80s Comedian: "OH MAN, can you imagine Reagan in a 7-11? I think it'd go something like this: "Well....that blue raspberry Slurpee sure looks good".
HelloDes

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, Foleyite. THERE YOU GO AGAIN.
Harb

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My main memory from Bruce at the Superbowl was his crotch. I can't figure out why that image won't go away. BUT I LIKE IT.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VGMuseum Forum Index -> GX All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: