VGMuseum
Video Games ''''Я'''' Us

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Late Night with Conan O' Brien Appreciation Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Foleyite

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my favorite thing from the TBS Era of Conan, so far. Especially the sound that guy makes 25 seconds in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z03E084Zhmc
Foleyite

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conan IS The People's Champ.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYRrSI74QUY

Of course, he should win with that competition, but the people voting are generally the type of people you'd expect to vote Oprah or Ellen. Does anyone even know ANYONE that's actually voted for the People's Choice Awards? Weird that Leno, Kimmel, Letterman, Fallon & Ferguson don't even get nominated.
HelloDes

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know that there's a documentary coming out called "Conan O'Brien Can't Stop," right? It's getting a slew of positive reviews.
Foleyite

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't wait to see it, but I think it might be really depressing to see Conan when he's not "on", genuinely getting bitter and pissed off about the NBC/Tonight Show stuff without his trademark self-deprecation and silliness underlying it. There was one review I read where there's a scene where Conan says he hopes to get a phone call from Jay Leno asking him "What is it like to have a soul?" We all know whose team I'm on here, but even I read that and thought "Ouch, goddamn." It sounds like it portrays him as being pretty prickly to people backstage too, so my one fear about the film is that it may be disappointing to see Conan in that light.
HelloDes

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is it that I never heard tell of this before?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iz-2I1mRvHs
Foleyite

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't believe you never saw The Slipnutz. I feel like that was a pretty well-loved, well-remembered Conan sketch. It's one of those where I'm not sure if they did a bunch of Slipnutz bits or if they just did 1 or 2 and they were memorable enough to where it felt like a recurring bit they did a lot.

In somewhat-related Conan-sketch-quoting news, I was in a very uncomfortable public restroom in Hollywood the other day. I fear public restrooms more than most things, but #1s are usually tolerable to get through. This restroom had two whole urinals(!) and they were strangely built, so that you were way too close to the guy peeing next to you. To try to hurry the other guy up and get the bathroom to myself for a minute, I stared straight ahead and said "Thank God for Saddam Hussein". He replied "Are you from out of town?" and kept peeing. So I just zipped up and got the hell out of there.
Foleyite

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched Conan O'Brien Can't Stop on Netflix instant. Twas enjoyable, but after going to see Conan's live show and knowing so much of everything that happened did make the movie feel a little bit redundant.

Highlights/Things That Made Me Chuckle:

SPOILERS!!!

-Conan avoiding Margaret Cho.
-Conan being stressed out over the Bonnaroo MC duties, especially the Nas/Damian Marley running gag. (Andy: "Just say 'are you ready to rock?' Or hip-hop. Or whatever the fuck it is.")
-Conan mocking Jack McBrayer's southern-ness, doing a southern voice improvising something and Jon Hamm drawing a gasp when he finishes Conan's sentence with "two niggers".
-I love that the kid that said "I got jewed out of this" then immediately went to "Sorry. I mean I got gypped", after Conan winced and made a joke about the kid's "anti-Semitic remarks".
Foleyite

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So this happened.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U74Du_YU5LY

One of the few genuinely shocking TV moments I can remember in a while.

And yeah - it's just a bit... but he's sort of teasing that he (now) has the rights to use Triumph there.
KaneRobot

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should have had Carson bring out the Top 10 list after Conan walked off.
HelloDes

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KaneRobot wrote:
Should have had Carson bring out the Top 10 list after Conan walked off.

I agree. Carson looks as great as ever.
Mr Perfect
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Until I was around 7, I'd never actually seen Johnny Carson. I was under the impression that "Johnny" was a nickname for George Burns, who was the actual host. It was all due to that scene from Oh, God.

You remember George Burns, right? If not, here's a picture.
KaneRobot

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tonight's Late Night guests include Calista Flockhart, WWE Diva Kelly Kelly, and The Crypt Keeper
Foleyite

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KaneRobot wrote:
Tonight's Late Night guests include Calista Flockhart, WWE Diva Kelly Kelly, and The Crypt Keeper

Now that sounds like a late FRIGHT show I can get behind. AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
Foleyite

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Triumph is on the show tonight. I am very worried. @ConanOBrien

Foleyite

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.vulture.com/2018/06/conan-obrien-in-conversation.html

This is a really good interview with Conan; mostly talking about the upcoming change to a half-hour format and late night TV in general.

Highlights:
Quote:
It’s harder as you get older. When I was a kid and visited New York I was in awe of the Empire State Building. Now it looks like a big piece of shit to me. No, I’m kidding. It’s beautiful. But as a late-night host, you have reverence for upperclassmen, contempt for yourself, and then anyone that follows you, it’s like asking Lauren Bacall, “Don’t you think that that 21-year-old bombshell is hot?” I’m over here with a long cigarette ash going, “That goddamn bitch!”

Quote:
What’s crazy is how quickly my position flipped. For 12 years when I’d walk into a restaurant younger people would be excited but older people would look over and sneer: “The nerve of that young punk with his hair and his masturbating bear!” But the minute Jay and Dave were gone it became, “Of all the people with microphones, you, Conan, are the one closest to death.”

Quote:
As there are more media options, each individual thing becomes less important. So in the modern television world there’s no reason why, when you’re done with one show, that you have to say, “Farewell, all,” and get on a winged horse and be taken up into the stars.

You've got these metaphors down.

I wasn’t done: And then as you and your winged horse reach the stars you become the stars themselves and on a clear night you can see me up there in the cosmos but you’ll never touch me again. Now I’ve used up my metaphors and we can move on.

When the interviewer brings up the famous Norm Macdonald/Courtney Thorne-Smith interview:
Quote:
[Laughs.] But the difference is that Norm Macdonald is not sweating it!

...and not only is Norm not sweating it, he doesn’t remember it even happened.

HelloDes

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a side of Conan I'd never seen before!

HelloDes

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently this was announced back in May, but next year the entire NBC "Late Night with Conan" video archive will be available on the Team Coco website.

And then my #1 dream of seeing Max Weinberg having slow passionate sex with another Max Weinberg will finally come true. Again.
HelloDes

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The debut episode of Conan's show is up in its entirety.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=_q471WB5Tgw

In anticipation of the vault being opened, the AV Club picked 11 clips that they call favorites (or at least favorites among the subset that are already available on YouTube):
*Conan visits a game of 1864 baseball
*An "Actual Items" segment from 1997
*Andy's Little Sister
*Cactus Chef playing “We Didn’t Start The Fire” on the flute
*The camera ignores Conan and his guest and only shows Andy
*A segment where they drive their desk around
*The Fed-Ex Pope
*A segment of "In the Year 2000"
*One of Paul Rudd's identical movie clips
*The Slipnutz (opening for Slipknot)
*An installment of the "Walker, Texas Ranger" lever

https://tv.avclub.com/walker-slipnutz-and-baseball-11-essential-late-night-1828998476
Foleyite

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HelloDes wrote:

In anticipation of the vault being opened, the AV Club picked 11 clips that they call favorites (or at least favorites among the subset that are already available on YouTube):
*Conan visits a game of 1864 baseball
*An "Actual Items" segment from 1997
*Andy's Little Sister
*Cactus Chef playing “We Didn’t Start The Fire” on the flute
*The camera ignores Conan and his guest and only shows Andy
*A segment where they drive their desk around
*The Fed-Ex Pope
*A segment of "In the Year 2000"
*One of Paul Rudd's identical movie clips
*The Slipnutz (opening for Slipknot)

*An installment of the "Walker, Texas Ranger" lever

The bolded are definitely favorites of mine. The "Andy's Little Sister" bit now has the retroactive bonus of Amy Poehler becoming a star, but I always liked that bit anyway.

To be honest, I kinda got sick of the desk-driving bit and (sorry, folks) even In the Year 2000 after a certain point. I think the thing that appealed to me as a 14 year-old kid watching Conan was the slapdash, people-throwing-shit-at-the-wall, silly-but-smart nature of the show. Once they had been doing it for 6 or 7 years, it started to feel a bit like a formula: oh the desk-driving bit, In the Year 2000, etc. It's the difference in tone and feel from something like Mr. Show to SNL, where the beats are more predictable and the recurring bits and characters start to have diminishing returns and you feel like you're peeking behind the curtain a bit and it's just "oh I guess the writers got lazy and just said "do that one thing again"." Although considering how stressful those late-night environments seem from everything I've ever read about them, I don't blame them for falling into routine at all.

Off the top of my head, Conan bits or moments that'd probably be in my top 10/20/whatever:

*Conan Goes to Houston ("I was just almost murdered.")

* Will Ferrell Does Standup and Gets Heckled

*Andy as a witness in the John Wayne Bobbitt Trial

*Triumph visits Star Wars fans

*Dudez a Plenti

*Favorite Conan Moments from the 5th Anniversary Special
Chris Rock: "Favorite moment. Favorite, favorite, favorite moment... woooo......I got nothin'. I can't help ya."

*"MAX, YOU SON OF A BITCH." ::slow motion shooting of Max after he murders Andy::

*Max PSAs

*Inappropriate

*Reverend Otis K. Dribbles

*Camp Michael McDonald
HelloDes

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, of course the one-shot "incongruous thing + attribute combo" characters became enough of a Conan formula that they'd do segments where they'd introduce seven or eight of them in a row.

If they'd rotated everything one notch and done "Masturbating Groucho," "Seven-Foot Kermit," "Vomiting Robot" and "Pimpbear 5000," would anything much have changed?
Foleyite

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HelloDes wrote:
Well, of course the one-shot "incongruous thing + attribute combo" characters became enough of a Conan formula that they'd do segments where they'd introduce seven or eight of them in a row.

If they'd rotated everything one notch and done "Masturbating Groucho," "Seven-Foot Kermit," "Vomiting Robot" and "Pimpbear 5000," would anything much have changed?

To be perfectly honest, if they did that "New Characters" bit every night, I'd probably never have gotten sick of it.
KaneRobot

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://youtu.be/QKJDAV5GJdM

HAW HAW NOW I DON'T NEED THE COMPLETE ARCHIVE
HelloDes

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer the similar Max PSA-- don't know which one appeared first-- that went pretty close to "They say when you sex, you need to use a condom. Well, screw that. No hooker is going to tell me what to do." :::cue shooting star rainbow:::

I was going to type "don't know which one came first," but what am I here, Joe Set-Up?
Foleyite

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3PGuce8LoY

The audience seems legitimately surprised at the punchline on this one.
Foleyite

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kinda feel like Joel has been forgotten since he hasn't been involved with any of Conan's stuff post-Late Night.

I literally started losing it laughing, while reading his Wikipedia page.

Quote:
He frequently appeared in sketches, often pretending to be a suicidal homosexual filled with self-loathing, and with a penchant for bizarre sex acts, substance abuse, and "young Asian men (preferably wearing Speedos)".[2][3] He would also often refer to the "small, windowless booth" from which he announced.[6][7] Through the years, Late Night's writers gave Godard a number of bizarre backstories; for example, one typical skit involved the announcer referring to having had multiple "loveless" marriages and "a botched mid-life circumcision," as well as his "ultimate sexual fantasy": a man dressed as Abraham Lincoln wearing BDSM leathers and a ball gag.[6] Godard would almost always deliver all of his lines – no matter how bizarre or disturbing the content – in a cheerful announcer's voice along with a wide smile plastered on his face.

HelloDes

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Wiki excerpt made me go from THIS-- ooohhh, uhhh-ooh, ohhhh ooooohhhh-- to THIS-- ah haaaaa, ahhhhhh.
HelloDes

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HelloDes wrote:
I prefer the similar Max PSA-- don't know which one appeared first-- that went pretty close to "They say when you sex, you need to use a condom...

Not so pretty close. I left out the word "have." But now I'm imagining Max Weinberg speaking like a geisha girl and I've never been so aroused.
Foleyite

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"botched mid-life circumcision" is gonna stick with me for a few days.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VGMuseum Forum Index -> GX All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: