VGMuseum
Video Games ''''Я'''' Us

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Late Night with Conan O' Brien Appreciation Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Foleyite

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few nights ago, Paul Giamatti was a guest on Conan. Conan asked him what his favorite role was and name-dropped all his critically-acclaimed roles. Giamatti replied with: "Thunderpants"; a movie 'made in England' that he did about 10 years ago about a boy whose farts help him become an astronaut.

IT'S A REAL MOVIE.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RK_hbfc4iVQ

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thunderpants
Foleyite

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Thursday August 13
Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien: Robin Williams

Oh no.
Foleyite

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From a Conan earlier this week:

Thomas Haden Church: "Aren't you Canadian-American?"
Norm MacDonald: "Canadian-American?! How politically correct can you BE?"

Norm: "I love this country, even more than my homeland. But it's interesting when people go like, "America's the greatest country in the world". Like you're just sayin' that, on account of you living there. Let's say ya hear a guy that's like "Kenya - that's the greatest country in the world!" You better fucking believe that fucker's from Kenya."

Norm: "Let's bump (musical guest) The Pitbulls."

Norm: "Wait. Do you know Robert Duvall?"
Church: "Norm.... you're killing my flow. You're killing my flow, bro."
Conan: "In fairness, you did address him when you came out."
Church: "It's like looking at a condor during mating season - it'll either attack or fly away."
Norm: "Wait, you're gonna fuck me?"

(after Norm has already interrupted Church's segment several times)
Norm: "Wait. Was Jake Short the character in Open Range?"
Thomas Haden Church: "Norm.. when's the Prozac gonna kick in?"
Norm: "I'm sorry, I just like your career."
Church: "I wasn't in Open Range. I was in Broken Trail."

Can't Norm just be a guest at least once a week? The best part about him as a guest is that he's funny with Conan and that's all just a preview for him interrupting the hell out of the second guest, seeing how they react to it and watching Conan crack up at Norm's antics.
Foleyite

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope "Conan, Please Blow Up My Car" becomes an annual event. They could change it to "Conan, Please Blow Up My Wife" or "Conan, Please Blow Up My Collection of Troll Dolls" in future years if they didn't want to repeat themselves. I guess what I'm trying to say is that once a year, I'd just like to see Conan blow something up is all.
HelloDes

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What, "Conan, Please Blow Up 'The Tonight Show's Ratings" isn't enough for you, HIIIIII-YOOOOOOO!!!!!!!
Foleyite

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somehow Jay Leno has managed to help make an even crappier show and come across as more annoying and less funny. That's one of the cheesiest and most boring hours of 'comedy' I've ever sat through. The graphics and the music for the show feel like they're from 1989.

Quote:
According to Access Hollywood, Jay Leno wants to use a segment of his new primetime NBC show, "The Jay Leno Show", to create stars out of new and upcoming comedians.

You've got to give it up for Jay giving the spotlight to some new and upcoming comedians like Jim Norton (age 41; has been a radio/TV regular since 1999) and D.L. Hughley (age 46; has been the main character in 4 shows & first gained national fame with The Kings of Comedy a decade ago).
HelloDes

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foleyite wrote:
Quote:
According to Access Hollywood, Jay Leno wants to use a segment of his new primetime NBC show, "The Jay Leno Show", to create stars out of new and upcoming comedians.

That's because Johnny Carson is remembered as a kingmaker in the hagiography of comedy, while Jay Leno will be remembered by history as the guy who did 5,000 "quiz the dummy" segments and once asked that guy from Weddings and a Funeral what was up with that?

When Leno's ratings suck the pipe, that'll be sad for him, yeah. But at least he can try to be significant!

In fairness to Iron Jay, part of his fate is just where he happened to land on the timeline of television. Because "JOHNNYCARSON" would only be "Johnny Carson" in today's environment. Nevertheless, even a dead, rotting "johnny carson" lashed to a coat rack and rolled out onstage would give Leno some trouble.
Foleyite

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jl3jWOw5MggNnb8eBHiPdTTcx0tQD9AUPJQ01

Quote:
"Last thing I remember I was enjoying the play with Mrs. Lincoln, and the next thing I knew I was in bed being served cookies and juice" O'Brien said in the statement.

Foleyite

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DTI7MKnSCo

Conan's head bump looked pretty bad.

The saddest part of all is that it will be featured in the next Botchamania, soundtracked by the intro music to the N64 version of Super Smash Bros.
Foleyite

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Conan O' Brien vs. Mayor Cory Booker feud was better than any WWE feud this year. It had a great build, it went back and forth with each guy being treated as an equal threat and it had a big pay-off and SWERVE when it turned out that Booker was a Conan fan and that he did this to get national attention and money for his non-profit organization.
HelloDes

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooooh, major get.

GREAT LOPSIDED FEUDS:
Conan O'Brien vs. Mayor Cory Booker
Hollywood Hulk Hogan vs. Kidman
Howard Stern vs. Mancow
Paris Hilton vs. Nicole Richie
Them Duke Boys vs. Boss Hawg
Hillary Clinton vs. Dick Morris
50 Cent vs. Ja Rule
Alex Rodriguez vs. Jason Varitek
Radiohead vs. Miley Cyrus
Foleyite

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Cena vs. the odds
DX vs. The Spirit Squad
HHH vs. Eugene
Bret Hart vs. Jean-Pierre Lafitte
Carlos Mencia/Dane Cook vs. good comedians
Yankees vs. Red Sox (1920-2003)
'Silk Stalkings' duo of Neon Green Jacket Guy and Kinda Hot Brunette vs. criminals
Columbo vs. criminals
Raven vs. Tommy Dreamer
Foleyite

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread just seems sad now.
denny58stout

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic!! I'm Denny Stout ...I'm new here and I Just want to share a quote as my first post here..

"The less you can live on, the more chance your idea will succeed. This is true even after you’ve 'made it...

Make it a Great day people...
Harb

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TBS.

Any downside to this? He'll get a lot more freedom I would assume. I'm kind of excited about it.

I haven't read yet, but where are they filming? LA?
Foleyite

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A part of me is sad that this is a step down for Conan, but whatever, Conan's gonna be on TV again. Since I'm a baseball fan, I will be able to enjoy weeks of Conan promos instead of promos for Lopez Tonight, Frank TV or some other show that I'll never watch that gets promoted to the point where I scream at the TV and it becomes a running gag with friends who say "Haha, hey, it's your buddy!" when 'Frank TV' is promoted for the 900th time during an NLDS game.

At least TBS' "very funny" tagline will no longer be ironic.

Also, I'm pretty sure they're filming in LA.
Mr Perfect
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There goes Conan, the pale white guy tryin' to hold back the fake Mexican from New Jersey. Or is that Konnan?

El infierno de los Grandes - esta traducción de motores de búsqueda obvia podría no ser suficiente para engañar a todos a pensar que se trata de una declaración pronunciada en lugar de búfer sin sentido!
GIncognto

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I feel kind of bad for him, having to go on TBS of all places. But at least they probably won't fuck with the show too much.

I will be in the Cone Zone Sunday night. Maybe it will be a little preview of what we will see in November.
XDXSCSA123: NICE AND SOFT
XDXSCSA123: NOW LIP LOCK
XDXSCSA123: SEX
HelloDes

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE WINNER:

THE LOSER:

THE REAL LOSERS:

RERUNS OF

Foleyite

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a definite step down for Conesy, but I don't know, it's 2010. Basic cable is more of a competitor with networks now than it was 10 years ago. Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert are basic cable talk show hosts and they've been asked to host the Oscars and whatever it was that Colbert hosted a few months ago. Those two guys probably don't get the ratings that Leno does (though it's apples and oranges since they repeat The Daily Show and Colbert about 4 times a day and a lot of their fans probably watch it online anyway), but they're about 50 times more relevant in pop culture than Jay's been in the last decade.

Also, all you really need is one big/good show to turn a network's image around and rebrand. See: American Idol/FOX, Mad Men/AMC, The Closer/TNT (We Know Drama), The Sopranos/HBO, Weeds/Dexter/Showtime, etc. So maybe this will do more to raise TBS' profile than hurt Conan's.

Anyway, we should be talking about the fact that GX friend Conrad Bain was at the opening night of Conan's tour.

GIncognto

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twas a good show. Well, at least until Dave Matthews showed up as a surprise special guest. Although it was amusing when they let Dave pull the "Chuck Norris Rural Policeman Handle" only to have it show the clip of Haley Joel Osment saying Walker told him he had AIDS.

Overall the show could have done with less music and more moments such as Conan telling the story of his wedding, where when the groom's side was asked to stand and tell what they thought were his great attributes, whereupon Andy stood and started to yell "diarrhea!" before reconsidering.

Oh yes and the best song was certainly the one about the girl who looked like Conrad Bain.
Foleyite

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like Conan's going through with what everyone said he should/would do then. Just rename all the characters and sketches in an obvious way to get around the legal thing. Can't wait for In the Year 4000, Senor Conan and Flax Steinberg on TBS in November.

GIncognto wrote:
Twas a good show. Well, at least until Dave Matthews showed up as a surprise special guest.

I wonder who we'll get as a musical guest in LA Saturday. He's obviously going with people that live in the area of the shows since Portland had Spoon and Matthews lives in Seattle. I keep trying (and mostly succeeding) to hate Dave Matthews, but by all accounts, he's apparently a tremendously nice guy with a good sense of humor and decent taste outside of his own music. Also, his music is so damn unintentionally hilarious that I can't hate him. I can't count the amount of times I've done my Dave Matthews Dance or yelled "WHATAWOULDYOUSAY", "IT'SMAHBIRRRRTHDAY", "TOO MUCH!", in that annoying voice to make someone laugh.

Anyway, Conrad Bain. His name officially has to appear in every post in this thread from now on.
Foleyite

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like Conan's going through with what everyone said he should/would do then. Just rename all the characters and sketches in an obvious way to get around the legal thing. Can't wait for In the Year 4000, Senor Conan and Flax Steinberg on TBS in November.

GIncognto wrote:
Twas a good show. Well, at least until Dave Matthews showed up as a surprise special guest.

I wonder who we'll get as a musical guest in LA Saturday. He's obviously going with people that live in the area of the shows since Portland had Spoon and Matthews lives in Seattle. I keep trying (and mostly succeeding) to hate Dave Matthews, but by all accounts, he's apparently a tremendously nice guy with a good sense of humor and decent taste outside of his own music. Also, his music is so damn unintentionally hilarious that I can't hate him. I can't count the amount of times I've done my Dave Matthews Dance or yelled "WHATAWOULDYOUSAY", "IT'SMAHBIRRRRTHDAY", "TOO MUCH!", in that annoying voice to make someone laugh.

Anyway, Conrad Bain. His name officially has to appear in every post in this thread from now on.
Foleyite

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some things that happened at the LA show I went to last night:

*Aziz Ansari, Jack McBrayer (a.k.a. Kenneth the Page), Jonah Hill (a.k.a. Fat Guy In Judd Apatow Movies) and television's most handsome man, Jon Hamm, all came out to pull the renamed Walker Texas Ranger Lever.

*Conan started covering this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRz4FY0ZcwI

and he was joined by Jim Carrey in a Superman costume.

*Some fat guy ran onstage during the closing number and Conan motioned to security people "nah, let him on". Conan immediately regretted this decision when the guy went behind him and grabbed at his dick and balls. Conan tried to play it off and gave the guy a "tsk tsk" hand gesture, but you could tell he was annoyed.

*Some of the funniest things I saw weren't even part of the show. Russell Brand & Katy Perry showed up before the show arm-in-arm and they had crappy seats. They must have gotten up at least 4 times, strutting and looking like they wanted to be seen. No one approached them. Then Craig Robinson (a.k.a. Darryl from 'The Office') showed up and about 15 people ran up to get their picture taken with him. David Spade showed up and was laughing with fans and high-fiving people who were yelling "Spade!" and quoting his old SNL sketches to him. Brand & Perry got up again: no fans approached them.

*A couple walking behind me after the show (let's assume this was a first date):
Girl: "I never watched his show, so I didn't get a lot of the references."
Guy: "Oh. I watched his show every night, so yeah... wow, you never watched Conan before this?"

*"The Girl Who Looked Like Conrad Bain" was great. I was going to add a line in the suggestion box, but guys were holding up the line standing there trying desperately to think of things that rhyme with Bain and Strokes.
Foleyite

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conan's no-compete clause ends this Saturday.

MAYBE HE WILL SHOW UP AS A SURPRISE ON TNA IMPACT LIVE MONDAY NITE AS A MAJOR ACQUISITION!!!1111 Or maybe they'll swerve us and have Conrad Bain show up.

...or maybe he will appear in an interview on '60 Minutes' Sunday night.

OR BOTH.

If he did show up and re-enact the kiss with Rebecca Romijn (complete with "Where's John Stamos?!") with Christy Hemme or some other TNA gal, it would be the greatest moment in the history of our sport.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x11n99_conan-o-brien-et-rebecca-romijn-sta_fun

Last edited by Foleyite on Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Harb

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foleyite wrote:

MAYBE HE WILL SHOW UP AS A SURPRISE ON TNA IMPACT LIVE MONDAY NITE AS A MAJOR ACQUISITION!!!1111

OR BOTH.

If he did show up and re-enact the kiss with Rebecca Romijn (complete with "Where's John Stamos?!") with Christy Hemme or some other TNA gal, it would be the greatest moment in the history of our sport.

What does this have to do with Conrad Bain?
Mr Perfect
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's obvious that "Conrad Bain" is a clever anagram for "Conan O'Brian."

Also, "Nimos" spelled backwards is "Simon," as discovered by my pal J. Bates.
Foleyite

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harb wrote:
Foleyite wrote:

MAYBE HE WILL SHOW UP AS A SURPRISE ON TNA IMPACT LIVE MONDAY NITE AS A MAJOR ACQUISITION!!!1111

OR BOTH.

What does this have to do with Conrad Bain?

I mentioned Conrad Bain. But this board is so freaky that it edited that part out for some reason. Some kind of anti-Conrad Bain censorship was clearly going on during the few seconds that I originally posted that. Corrections have been made.
HelloDes

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MAYBE HE WILL SHOW UP AS A SURPRISE
ON TNA IMPACT LIVE MONDAY NITE AS A MAJOR ACQUISITION!!!1111

...or maybe he will appear in an interview on '60 Minutes' Sun
day night.

OR BOTH.

If he did show up and re-enact the kiss with Re
becca Romijn (complete with "Where's John Stamos?!") with Christy Hemme or some other TNA gal, it would be the greatest moment in the history of our sport.

HelloDes

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conan looked great on "60 Minutes." I think the time off has revitalized him.

Foleyite

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoyed Serious Beard Conan.

Not as much as I enjoyed Conrad Bain's work in Candide, of course.
Foleyite

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SRS thoughts

I actually felt a little bit uncomfortable watching the Conan interview. Even though he tells fans not to be cynical and says "I'm fine, everything's gonna work out", the look in his eyes just seemed to tell a little bit of a different story.

Like when a friend has been dumped by his girlfriend in painful fashion. And a few months pass, so they feel extremely guilty admitting that it still hurts or bothers them. They say "I'm doing great, it's fine, I'm already going out with this girl so-and-so knows and who knows where things will lead? Don't worry, everything's fine" - but you can tell that the break-up has damaged them emotionally and forever altered their view of life. I mean, we're all searching for that girl who looks like Conrad Bain, but who the hell knows if we'll ever find her.
GIncognto

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

During the portion of the show where Conan asked if we all liked his beard, I wanted to boo but refrained. When he showed a picture of the "Ace of Cakes" I booed AS LOUD AS I COULD, because I fucking hate that douchebag. Two young ladies sitting in front of me looked backwards as if I was insane.
Foleyite

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google & YouTube present: A Conversation With Conan O' Brien.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7TwqpWiY5s

Worth watching. Sadly, the girl with the "ball of hair" question looked nothing like Conrad Bain.
KaneRobot

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess this happened:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xs2UZ_jLBsw
Foleyite

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I really believe in basic cable. Basic cable is what makes this country great. I do not want to live in a country with less than six ESPNs." -- Conan O' Brien

Also, Conan's TBS debut is November 8th. I really wish TBS would start running Matrixy ads and a viral marketing campaign promising that someone from the comedy world will SAVE_US.222.
HelloDes

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Google fu has failed me, because I can't find the ostensibly legendary "Conan gets heavily made up and oversees his own focus group" segment from the early days of his "Tonight Show" stint. Yes, yes, I know, they were ALL early days. Well, anyhow, every lead I've found wends its way back to one of two places: the same dead Hulu.com link, or the same expunged NBC.com clip. Hulu says my access to the Conan O'Brien video has expired, and NBC denies knowing anyone by that name. Come on! This is the Golden Age of Copyright Infringement! WHERE ARE YOU, FOCUS GROUP CLIP?
Foleyite

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could be a friend and transcribe it for you. But that'd take a while. I'm busy watching Celebrity Autobiography readings on YouTube and drinking Dr. Pepper. If it was a shorter sketch, I would do it. 70% of the humor comes from the visuals of the old people looking disgusted, anyway.

P.S. Conrad Bain rhymes with "Jann, rad plane!"
KaneRobot

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have all of 'em, if someone lets me know what episode it's from I can probably put it up somewhere.

Niab Darnoc.
HelloDes

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just in case you're feeling the urge to reschaden your freude:

Leno Falls Below Conan’s Tonight Show Ratings Trend, Beats Letterman

Jay Leno’s Tonight Show 1.1 adults 18-49 rating last week (May 17-21) was the same as the previous three weeks, but for the first time in seven weeks fell below Conan O’Brien’s Tonight Show ratings trend, comparing the ratings for each show’s twelfth week. There has been no more than a tenth of an adults 19-49 ratings point difference between the two show’s ratings trends since week 5 of their runs.

Readers should note that 12 weeks into “Conan (2009-10)” was the third week of August, 2009, near the bottom of the broadcast TV year, but 12 weeks into “Leno (2010-)”, was still during the regular broadcast season.

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2010/05/27/leno-falls-below-conans-tonight-show-ratings-trend-beats-letterman/52607

“This is all business. If you don’t get the ratings, they take you off the air. You get the ratings, they keep you.”
--Jay Leno
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VGMuseum Forum Index -> GX All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: