VGMuseum
Video Games ''''Я'''' Us

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Late Night with Conan O' Brien Appreciation Thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Foleyite

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:54 am    Post subject: Late Night with Conan O' Brien Appreciation Thread Reply with quote

Sadly, there are only a few episodes left of one of my top 5 favorite shows of all-time, Late Night with Conan O' Brien. Yes, he's getting a promotion and taking over The Tonight Show in June. Yes, he's moving to Los Angeles, where the chances of me meeting him and/or being able to attend his show will become a hell of a lot easier. But it's the end of an era. LNWCOB made its debut on the same day (well, technically the next day, I guess) that I started high school. Another of my all-time favorites, Radiohead, was the very first musical guest and John Goodman was the first guest (complete with "First Guest" medal). There was also a great skit where Conan was worried about living up to Letterman's expectations and he almost hung himself before someone interrupts him and says the show's about to start. Also, The Quebecers beat The Steiner Brothers for the tag titles on Monday Night RAW earlier. It was a momentous day. In my high school's newspaper, someone asked me where I would be in ten years and my answer was "Hopefully promoting my new album on Conan O' Brien's show". Well, that's not happening - at least not before 2007 ends, anyway. In art class, I made a sculpture that was dedicated to Conan and featured lines from Conan sketches. Conan's sense of humor matched my own and influenced it to some degree. There's plenty of Conan (and Monty Python, The Simpsons, UHF, Mr. Show and many other things I love to rip off) in everything I say and write. The man is in my comedy Mount Rushmore easily.

I am excited about attending Conan's Tonight Show, though it won't be the same. I'm sad that I never got to see LNWCOB in person. I liked Late Night's sensibility, I worry that he'll have to "tone it down" for the longest-running institution of TV or whatever TTS is supposed to be, I liked the New York-ness of Late Night (it was even one of the handful of reasons I almost moved to NY after high school and no, I'm not joking) and it just feels like the end of an era. I hope (and assume) Andy's part of the finale.

Some fond memories (of which I'd provide more clips, if NBC/GE/Universal/GloboChem weren't such DICKS about it):

*Conan becoming the Svengali for a boy-band named Dudez-a-Plenti. A year later, he makes a music video for them. I still remember all the words to Dudez-a-Plenti's first song "Baby, I Wish You Were My Baby". "We'll make electric power/in fear, you should not cower/'cause girl, I will protect you/I promise not to sex you/and I-HI-HI-A-HI-HI-HI-HI"

*Back in the mid-'90s, they did a show with an audience entirely full of children. They were not as amused by Dave Foley as I was.

*Conan zip-lining over the audience and kicking John Wilkes Booth in the chest, preventing Abe Lincoln from being assassinated.

*Any of the times Paul Rudd was on the show promoting a movie and after setting up his clip, they went to a clip of the kid in the wheelchair going off of a cliff from Mac & Me.

*"The sexual tension between you two... (rubs Andy's leg)" -- Alec Baldwin
"Don't you touch him!" -- Conan

*Goldust's appearance on the show, during the height of his great, homophobe-baiting, heat-drawing peak right before Wrestlemania 12.

*Triumph's collection of some of the greatest comebacks ever during his trip to the Star Wars premiere: "You're surrounded by all kinds of guys who have no idea how to please you!", "How are you gonna explain all this to your imaginary girlfriend?", "It looks like you were built in a laboratory out of parts from LESSER nerds", "You don't deal with lesser life forms?! You must be a lonely guy", "Seriously, have you ever talked to a woman without having to give her your credit card number?!", "And which one of these buttons calls your parents to come pick you up?"

*Will Ferrell/Robert Goulet: "So... you work out much?", "'It feels good to be back on top'. Someone said that to me", "So I've just been driving a lot", "WHAT? WHAT? No, I can't. I haven't even warmed up the pipes. I couldn't sing a song."

*Conan goes to a re-enactment of the way baseball was played in 1864. "HURL YOUR BEST APPLE, HURLER!"

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xd1eu_conan-obrien-1864-baseball

P.S. Please send cookies.
Mr Perfect
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't remember the last part of the line, but there was a joke he told during a "Year 2000" sketch when Andy Richter was a guest:

Conan: "The world of boxing is changed forever when instead of answering to an 8-count, a match can only continue if the fighter can recite [Aristotle's theory of universals (or something)]."

[three painful seconds of silence follow before the audience finally breaks into laughter but only at how stupid that was]

Andy: "You should have seen that coming."

There was also a "Stamps" sketch where the audience didn't like (or react to) the first joke, which was the basis for the entire bit. What followed was four minutes of Conan rushing through the sketch, the whole time accompanied by silence, to mercifully reach the commercial break.

Not to worry, though--the 11:30 audience will love it.

Last edited by Mr Perfect on Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Foleyite

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a very Conan thing I do a lot that I didn't even realize until recently. Whenever I meet somebody that doesn't grasp sarcasm and I say something that to my brain is obviously sarcastic and they don't get it & they just kind of look at me and say "Really?" - instead of being condescending and saying "Hey, dipshit, I was obviously being sarcastic." - my stock response is always "Don't listen to me. I'm an ass."

Then I knock my microphone over and yell to my crowd of friends "Keep cool, babies!" in a slightly higher-pitched voice than usual.
HelloDes

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As someone with a special interest in the mechanics of comedy, I liked that Conan would follow up punchlines about Bob Dole with "Because he's OLD." And as someone who understands the salt mine aspect of comedy on deadline, I realize why they did the 135th "Bob Dole is old" joke in the first place.
Foleyite

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conan's story of the prank he pulled on Burt Ward, while he was President of the Harvard Lampoon was excellent. He told it on Inside the Actors Studio recently.

Burt Ward was gonna speak at Harvard and do a Q&A for some reason and he had his Robin costume with him on a mannequin to show off. They promoted his appearance like crazy at the school. So Conan and one of his friends dress up as campus security and say "We're here to watch over the Robin suit, sir". Ward believes them. So they're onstage with him watching over the suit. During Wards' Q&A, some other friend dressed as The Penguin asks a question in character and that's the cue for Conan to grab the mannequin and take off. Conan gets into a getaway car driven by a friend (and this is my favorite part) who's wearing sunglasses and as Conan enters the car with the mannequin, the friend pops in a tape of T. Rex's "Bang a Gong" as getaway music as they drive off.
KaneRobot

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They should take the spot away from Fallon and give Late Night to Kevin Nash.

When is the last LNwCOB? I didn't know it was that soon.
GIncognto

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really I'm just glad he's moving to 11:30 so I can watch him again, staying up to watch the 12:30 show and then waking up at 6 would kill me. So the end of Late Night with Conan O'Brien isn't crap.

It's craptastic.
XDXSCSA123: NICE AND SOFT
XDXSCSA123: NOW LIP LOCK
XDXSCSA123: SEX
Foleyite

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GIncognto wrote:
Really I'm just glad he's moving to 11:30 so I can watch him again, staying up to watch the 12:30 show and then waking up at 6 would kill me. So the end of Late Night with Conan O'Brien isn't crap.

Yeah, part of me thinks it's good for the audience that grew up with him 'cause most of us are old, crotchety, parents, male prostitutes, vampires, people who have to get up early for work, etc. nowadays. Also, you know there are gonna be some great remotes in L.A. featuring 700 jokes about Conan needing sunscreen. And I have friends that live minutes away from where his show will tape. Yeah, it'll probably be great. I just hope he isn't forced to bow to the format and the 'importance/history' of The Tonight Show. I want the dude to have the right to be himself still.

Here's the timeline of things, by the way:

February 20: The last LNWCOB (also Kurt Cobain's birthday and the day I'll be celebrating my birthday this year)

May 29: The last Jay Leno edition of The Tonight Show (also the day Jeff Buckley drowned in 1997 and the day Noel Gallagher was born in 1967. Critics say it was a pretty Beatles-esque birth, but they're idiots.)

June 1: The debut of The Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien (also the day that Lou Gehrig began his famous Ironman Streak in 1925, the day the Back to the Future clock tower was destroyed in a fire last year and the day The Beatles released Sgt. Pepper in '67.)
HelloDes

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foleyite wrote:
So Conan and one of his friends dress up as campus security and say "We're here to watch over the Robin suit, sir"....

One of my friends was at the Harvard Lampoon circa 1985. I went up to visit and hang around a couple of times. O'Brien had just left, and I must have heard a half dozen anecdotes like this.

Another story that involved uniforms:
Conan & Co. got pavement-breaking equipment, dressed up as construction workers, and knocked a hole in a Harvard Square street. Once the damage was substantial enough, they left. Then they placed two phone calls. One went to Harvard's campus security, to report that vandals dressed as Boston police were digging up the sidewalk. The second call was to the Boston Police Department, to report that vandals dressed as Harvard campus security were digging up the sidewalk.

Then they went to a nearby location to enjoy the spectacle of real Harvard security and real Boston police converging.

(Did I recount this story before? I did? What about the one with the loudspeaker car? What about the one with the giant chair?)
KaneRobot

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HelloDes wrote:
.(Did I recount this story before? I did? What about the one with the loudspeaker car? What about the one with the giant chair?)

Yes to the fake construction worker story, yes to the loudspeaker car, but I don't think so on the giant chair one. They are all worth re-reading though.
HelloDes

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kind of thought so. Actually, the giant chair story is only tangentially a Conan story. Apparently there is (or was) a law in Massachusetts that makes it illegal to have a chair that is larger than the Governor's.

Naturally, when the Harvard Lampoon heard about this law, they built a chair approximately 12 feet high. You'd literally need another chair to climb up into their chair. It's like a prop from one of those old cartoon fables where the hero sneaks around in the house, pole vaulting on sewing needles and falling inside coat pockets, until the giant comes back home.

Since the enormous chair has no sitting use, they've put plaques on it, listing all the past presidents of the Lampoon. Conan O'Brien was the first-ever two-year president, so he's included twice.
Foleyite

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More Conan Harvard Lampoon stories (even if they only tangentially involve Conan), please.
Foleyite

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x11kj7_conan-obrien-hanks-secrets_fun

Tom Hanks....... SSSSSSSEEEEEEEEEECRETS....

"When I agreed to make Apollo 13... I was under the impression that I would be playing Apollo Creed from Rocky. THOSE SONS O' BITCHES TRICKED ME!"

"The best thing about being seen as 'the nicest guy in Hollywood' is that.... no one searches my backyard for the bodies."
HelloDes

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, am I crazy, or is "Apple Picking with Mr. T" not even that funny, let alone an all-time classic bit?
Mr Perfect
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still, I found it more entertaining than the previous "Conan holds down senior citizens while Jerry Lewis uses a mustache trimmer to clip off their puss-filled growths and mail them to Ed McMahon."

"Heeeeeeeeey, LAY-DEE!" :::snip:::

It was good enough to make Conan the 1,100,000th entry on the FBI's Terrorist Watch List, an accomplishment somewhat tempered by the fact that over 900,000 of them are actually aliases of Brutus "The Barber" Beefcake.
KaneRobot

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HelloDes wrote:
Oh, am I crazy, or is "Apple Picking with Mr. T" not even that funny, let alone an all-time classic bit?

I did audibly laugh at Conan asking him to threaten the apple, not to mention Mr. T actually doing so with a "Hey apple, you'd better fall down!" But other than that - yeah, that was mostly Mr. T for Mr. T's sake. Better than Carrot Top for Carrot Top's sake, I suppose.
Foleyite

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Apple Picking With Mr. T" is amusing. It's not an all-time classic bit, but even before it was presented as such on last night's show, that bit comes up a lot for some reason when people talk about the show. I don't know, there's just not much to it. Maybe the people who love it had never seen Mr. T before or something. Conan's done tons of remotes that were a lot funnier. (1864 baseball, Conan goes to Nashville to cut a country song, Conan goes to Finland, Conan tries to become a big rig trucker, etc.)

There's one remote which I don't quite remember the premise of - I think Conan was traveling to other states to ask if they had heard of the show or something - and he meets this somewhat scary guy named "Buffalo". This guy says something vaguely threatening or insulting and Conan's basically just being nice and going "Uh huh", "Okay" and letting this weirdo talk. Then when the conversation ends or the guy leaves, Conan turns to the camera and says "I was just almost murdered". I've used that line ever since in situations where a weird person approaches me or I've just left a bad neighborhood.

Oh, by the way, Norm MacDonald helped his case this week as a candidate for Best Late Night with Conan O' Brien Guest Ever. Conan's reaction to Norm's "I wrote this bit 25 minutes ago!" alone was worth it.
Mr Perfect
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Show's just not the same without the little fat dude."

HE'S 6'8''!
Foleyite

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love being alive in this loosey-goosey time. Ask the Internets for a hilarious few minutes of television you watched in your senior year of high school over a decade ago and ye shall receive.

This site has a good collection of LNWCOB moments and explains the premise: http://individual.utoronto.ca/zinman/conaninto/timeline/show.html

Quote:
May 1, 1997: Conan risks his life to meet viewers in Houston, Texas (where the show airs at 2:40 a.m), meeting “fans” in a bus station, including a 300-pound biker known simply as “Buffalo.”

And here it is! Wow. I forgot how insulting Buffalo was to Conan.

Part 1: http://www.fancast.com/tv/Late-Night-With-Conan-OBrien/90387/666547821/Houston,-Part-1-/videos

Part 2: http://www.fancast.com/tv/Late-Night-With-Conan-OBrien/90387/666548037/Houston,-Part-2/videos
KaneRobot

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're probably remembering the Buffalo thing from the 5th Anniversary show, which as has been discussed here before, was fucking awesome. I'm still intent on harassing my friend until he digs through his basement and finds it, but I just know the minute I get him to actually do it and we spend half a day finding it, I'll find it online the next day or something.
Foleyite

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, they showed Buffalo on the 5th Anniversary, but I think I actually remember seeing the Houston thing when it was on.

Obviously, Conan reads this board because last night's "classic skit" was indeed Conan Goes To Houston. I literally cheered when he said it.
Foleyite

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best Late Night With Conan O'Brien Guest Ever? I would nominate the following (must have appeared on the show at least a few times):

-Norm MacDonald
-Alec Baldwin
-Artie Lange
-Will Ferrell
-Dave Chappelle
-Will Arnett

Also, IMDB comments are hilarious:
"Conan O'Brien is not funny. Those five words are enough but unfortunately I think I have to write at least three lines. Oh well. Conan is a loser. The only time the show is tolerable is when he has an excellent guest on, someone such as Robin Williams, a guest who has the limelight when Conan's presence is in the background."
KaneRobot

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember probably about 10 years ago Max was leaving to tour with Springsteen after the current episode, so at the end of the show they had Springsteen come out and play a song as a semi-obvious surprise. Every time Max left after that to go on tour I was expecting the same thing. BUT IT DIDN'T HAPPEN.

That I know of.
Foleyite

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KaneRobot wrote:
I remember probably about 10 years ago Max was leaving to tour with Springsteen after the current episode, so at the end of the show they had Springsteen come out and play a song as a semi-obvious surprise. Every time Max left after that to go on tour I was expecting the same thing. BUT IT DIDN'T HAPPEN.

That I know of.

No, it did. Kind of. I don't remember it being billed as a surprise the other times, though. The last time Bruce showed up a couple of years ago, they had Conan join in on guitar and he sang "Pay Me My Money Down" with the band.
Foleyite

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foleyite wrote:

Then when the conversation ends or the guy leaves, Conan turns to the camera and says "I was just almost murdered". I've used that line ever since in situations where a weird person approaches me or I've just left a bad neighborhood.

Quote:

GX Monday Sloptro
Live from the GX Arena in Bitters, Arkansas
08/09/99

[Five anonymous black guys beat Foley's ass, as N.W.A's "Fuck Tha Police" plays.]...

Mek: "Mah god, what happened?"

Foley: "Oh, nothing. I was just almost MURDERED."

See?
HelloDes

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foleyite wrote:
Also, IMDB comments are hilarious:
"Conan O'Brien is not funny. Those five words are enough but unfortunately I think I have to write at least three lines. Oh well. Conan is a loser. The only time the show is tolerable is when he has an excellent guest on, someone such as Robin Williams, a guest who has the limelight when Conan's presence is in the background."

It's still hard to beat this one:
Robin Williams Leaves Entertainment Reporter in Stitches

LOS ANGELES—Comic wildman Robin Williams left Entertainment Tonight reporter Maria Menounos in stitches Monday, cracking her up with a manic, off-the-cuff comedic riff covering everything from Survivor to Botox.
Williams, 50, is renowned for his surreal, free-associative detours, which have delighted countless entertainment reporters on both coasts.

Williams went on the unexpected, wholly improvised comic tear when Menounos asked him about his outfit, a tuxedo accentuated by a pair of flashy, neon-purple cowboy boots. The query prompted Williams to launch into impersonations of a jive-talking black man and John Wayne before segueing into references to Joan Rivers, the reality-TV program Survivor, and the popular wrinkle remover Botox, leaving Menounos in what witnesses described as "hysterics."

"Yo, what is up, homeslice? Dis sucka be lookin' baaad tonight!" said Williams, showing off his outfit to Menounos. "Now listen, pilgrim, Monty Clift is down in Red River still lookin' for his boots. He's a little light in those loafers he's been wearin' lately, catch my drift? It's like Survivor: San Francisco... 'The tribe has spoken, and you look faaabulous!' Is Joan [Rivers] here tonight? Don't let her see me—her facelift stitches might pop out from the shock! Nurse, one million CCs of Botox, stat! No, we don't have time for the needle! Just back the truck up, fasten the hose, and pump it right into her skull! Boooop! Boooop! Boooop!"

Menounos responded to Williams with hearty laughter, eventually raising her hand in exhaustion and casting a "How does he come up with this stuff?" glance at the camera.
Access Hollywood anchor Pat O'Brien said that Williams, whom he has frequently interviewed over the past two decades, is remarkable for his outrageous unpredictability.

"When I interviewed him for Mrs. Doubtfire, I asked him if playing a woman came naturally," O'Brien said. "Although the question was posed seriously, I was kind of hoping it would set him up for a doozy of a spiel. And, boy, did it ever: Who knew he'd lisp in an effeminate voice, 'Why? What did you hear, Sweetcheeks?' and then, without warning, slip into a flawless impression of a televangelist exorcising a demon out of the lisping persona?"

"I love how, when he's conducting an imaginary exchange between two radically different personas—say, a flamboyantly gay hairdresser and a creepily placid children's-show host—he whips his head around, left and right," Access Hollywood reporter Billy Bush said. "It provides a helpful visual cue so you know when he's switching characters."
Foleyite

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Late Night with Conan O' Brien Appreciation Thread Reply with quote

Foleyite wrote:

Some fond memories (of which I'd provide more clips, if NBC/GE/Universal/GloboChem weren't such DICKS about it):

*Conan becoming the Svengali for a boy-band named Dudez-a-Plenti. A year later, he makes a music video for them. I still remember all the words to Dudez-a-Plenti's first song "Baby, I Wish You Were My Baby". "We'll make electric power/in fear, you should not cower/'cause girl, I will protect you/I promise not to sex you/and I-HI-HI-A-HI-HI-HI-HI"

Continuing the theme of showing classic skits (and making me happy), this was Friday night's 'classic skit'. Here's how it originally aired.

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/dudez-a-plenti/4257418482
Foleyite

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, I'm such a Conan nerd that I'm probably one of the few who has noticed that they're clipping all the classic skits. For instance, one of the funniest parts of the Mr. T thing was edited out where Conan said or did something that genuinely made T laugh and the guy's natural laugh was this really weird, machine-gun laugh. Conan starts cracking up and says "Oh my god, that's your laugh?!?!" T continues to crack up and Conan is laughing & freaking out over the revelation that Mr. T has been hiding his bizarre laugh all these years.
KaneRobot

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foleyite wrote:
By the way, I'm such a Conan nerd that I'm probably one of the few who has noticed that they're clipping all the classic skits.

The way they've cut down the Inappropriate Response Channel skit in reairings made it exactly 60% less funny.
Mr Perfect
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what's the consensus on Conan hosting The Tonight Show?

Will it rise to heaven?

Or is the ship sunk, Rocco?

Foleyite

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeing the Inappropriate! bit last night was like seeing an old girlfriend who you have fond memories of and you're pleasantly delighted to see that she's even hotter than you remember.

Check THIS out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwHEpHK342w

Although I really hoped that they'd show these during the Satellite Channel bit, too.

Camp Michael McDonald:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSVq3UOZWCY

Embryonic Rockabilly Polka-Dotted Fighter Pilots:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HI7jrnvVMak

And I can't find a clip of it, but there was a channel that showed the reality show "Survivor", where the members of the '80s rock band Survivor all lived in a house together. The skit was essentially this:

::guy walks past another guy in the kitchen::

Guy #1: "Hey man, remember when we wrote "Eye of the Tiger"?"
Guy #2: "Yeah."
Guy #1: "That was awesome."
GIncognto

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Check THIS out!" is truly one of the great moments of television history.
XDXSCSA123: NICE AND SOFT
XDXSCSA123: NOW LIP LOCK
XDXSCSA123: SEX
Foleyite

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FACT: Norm MacDonald was probably the best guest in the history of Late Night with Conan O'Brien and maybe the best guest in the history of televised conversations between people.

FACT: Conan O'Brien is moving to L.A. to do The Tonight Show.

FACT: Norm MacDonald now lives in L.A.

Gentlemen? Start your boners.

But first, let's revisit some good times.

The Courtney Thorne-Smith interview still holds up as classic comedy gold. Plus, people forget that Conan was pretty insulting about Carrot Top before Norm got his shots in.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoLm-vD89SQ

Last week, Norm and Conan with Gordon Ramsay was maybe the hardest I've laughed at the show in a while.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=To_LozcyjZg
HelloDes

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've posted this before, but it's just the greatest. 7,000 points out of a possible 100, with a 4-point deduction for Stewart's phony "heavens no, this is just wrong" shtick, for a commendable 6,996 score:

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/244327/norm_mcdonald_on_steve_irwin/
Link Owns

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of my favorite moments from Conan were the Walker Texas Ranger Lever segments.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4NqL5udFnI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWDwR8fqZ18

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3e6ZGhHWHI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WBespFwLgk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akgkj_0UEzE

Oh and since we're on the subject...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSU1Lvxy9Sk
Foleyite

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too bad none of those YouTube clips are actually from Conan's Walker, Texas Ranger Lever segments.
Foleyite

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reminder: Tonight is the last episode of Late Night with Conan O'Brien ever. Here is my wish list for the Conan finale:

*Abe Vigoda, Triumph, John Goodman (first guest on the show, I love continuity) and Andy Richter make appearances.
*Hopefully, Conan will not completely lose his shit.
*Conan completely goes nuts, tearing down the set. They've been building to this throughout the week.
*Some kind of fantastic skit. The Masturbating Bear skit from the other night was EPIC. It'll be hard to top that.

A lot of the writers and sketch performers are not coming to LA with Conan. I imagine he'll be trading using NY UCB people for LA UCB people for sketches. And appearances and cameos by SNL folk will be few and far between on TTS.

"I'm a sentimental person trying to be a cynical person and not quite making it." -- Conan, to Matt Lauer on the Today show.

That's actually a pretty good description of my personality, which will become evident when I weep watching the Conan finale.
HelloDes

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be watching Rosie O'Donnell and New Orleans hiphop duo The Knux on Craig Ferguson. But let me know how yours turns out.
HelloDes

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:16 pm    Post subject: Day Two Thousand Seven Hundred and Twenty-Five Reply with quote

It would have taken less airtime for Conan to have listed the names of everybody who WASN'T with him "from Day One."

Nice farewell, though. It meant the world to me. It meant the world to me. It meant the world to me.

Stop the humanoid, stop the intruder.
Mr Perfect
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wasn't as bad as Bob Barker's last Price is Right. I go out of my way to see it like it's some type of holy ceremony and all I get is "Have your pets spayed or neutered, and thanks for inviting me into your homes for the last 30 years. Goodbye, everyone!" I'm like...

Whah? Whah? Whaaaah?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VGMuseum Forum Index -> GX All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: