VGMuseum
Video Games ''''Я'''' Us

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gaming Status
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dingo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:04 am    Post subject: Gaming Status Reply with quote

Though this wasn't my thread by anymeans on the old forum, I did quite enjoy it and figured I would bring it to the new forums. We all know the drill; post about the games you're playing and how you're coming along, or you can just rant on various games. Anyway, I will start.

Rogue Galaxy - I picked this game up the other week. It's pretty fun; the story isn't grounbreaking and niether is the gameplay. The battle system reminds me a little bit of the .hack games which I did/do enjoy, but it gets slightly repetative since you're stuck with one combo with each character. So far I'm about 20 hours into it and I can tell I have a lot more left. I'm having to collect artifacts right now before I can progress in the game; the artifacts are just keys to an ancient rune so it isn't anything too original. But, overall the game is turning out to be a fun RPG to play; sure it isn't anything new and seems a little cliche a lot of the times, but it is still fun. It looks beautiful and does play very well. So far I would say if you're an RPG fan, then you should at least give it a try; you won't be getting anything incredible, but it is a beautiful game that has been fun to play this far into the game. I'll keep everyone updated from time to time.

Aside from Rogue Galaxy I've been playing Street Fighter Alpha 3 and Street Fighter 3 heavily. I just bought SF 3 the other day and beat Gill today with Yang; though I can't say much about progress outside of that, I am planning on practicing with Yang somemore and of course keep practicing with Guy in Alpha 3.
Lashen

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lately I've been playing the Real Bout Fatal Fury games... Not that it's really progress. I've beaten every fighting game from Capcom or SNK with every character by this point in my life.
Eroico

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wound up buying Lunar Knights on Friday. So far i'm enjoying it i'm just starting chapter 4 right now. If there's one thing I like allot about the game is the music, some of the upbeat "hip" kind of tunes is a welcome change from what i'm used to hearing in my games, expect me to record some of the tracks at some point Wink.

Also on Friday I bought the F.E.A.R. expansion, Extraction Point. I thought I got used to the tactics that were used in the original to spook you, but this one still scares me. A few game play elements are new such as the small part where Holiday fights along with you until.. well I wont spoil it. Another thing used more often are the hallucinations, one of which "truely" scared me at 1 in the morning.
Dingo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard really good things about Lunar Knights; one of my friends who now lives in Florida bought it and said it was really good. I haven't gotten a chance to play, but I do want to; but the next game I get for the DS will be SNK vs. Capcom Card Fighers DS. I do look forward to the tunes you upload.
Eroico

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Smile. If there is one negative thing I have to say about it so far it's that when in the dungeons fighting the monsters over and over again gets annoying, and the fact that i'm not able to run indefinitely, it makes the process all that more tedious and slow.

And it's probably just my lack of using the character, but Aaron seems to be extremely weak, Lucian right now is at least a good 2 - 3 levels higher than he is Confused.
Dingo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Repetative fighting is the main gripe I have with Rogue Galaxy as well; aside from that and a few bland areas, the game is really good. But the one good thing about Rogue Galaxy, all the characters in the game acquire experience when you finish a battle so everyone stays around the same level.
sonic3305

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been on a MGS stint lately. I never played 3 so me and a couple friends played through it an hour a two on some nights for a couple weeks, which compelled me to play 1 again (this time the Twin Snakes version, which was slightly assed up, imo), and which then has compelled me to play through 2 again.

Aside from that, I've been playing Counter-Strike and Battlefield 2 as per usual. They recently released Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory for OS X, so I've been playing that again for nostalgia value on my lappy (I had forgotten how fun it was!).

Oh, and been playing through Gears of War and Lost Planet in the gamelab at school. Lots of 4 player LAN GoW matches lately, fun fun.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other than my regular CS:S, I've been inching my way through Rainbow Six: Vegas.
Florida Gator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elder Scrolls 4 Oblivion: Where are grand souls gems?!? I need to finish this cure for vampirism quest because I can't take being one much longer. I've almost beat everyone in the arena except for Gray Prince, mostly with enchanted items. Level 4 Day 35
Dingo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I just stole Grand Soul Gems from the Mages Guild. I'm not sure if it is still classified as stealing if you're a member of the Guild, but I'm pretty sure I got the ones I needed from one of the city guild halls.

Anyway, I would suggest doing the Gray Prince's quest if you haven't already. It's pretty neat (kind of sad in the end) and in a way it gets you a free way into the Dark Brotherhood.
Florida Gator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dingo wrote:
I think I just stole Grand Soul Gems from the Mages Guild.

That's what most people have told me to do (which I will) and I'm already in the Dark Brother hood plus I'm too lazy to do real quests. Thx for the info though Smile .
Dingo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem. But about the Dark Brotherhood, I wasn't a member until after I killed the Gray Prince. What happens after you do his quest is that he becomes your friend and when you kill him it gets you into the Dark Brotherhood; other than that I won't spoil anything since it would ruin the outcome of his quest.
Master Ace

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xenosaga, I just beat it.

I like Xenogears better.
Birdo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm seriously contemplating 3 game purchases

- The Chronicles of Riddick (XBOX)
- Pursuit Force (PSP)
- Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles

...and we're stopping people from smoking.

What a shame.
Meteoslasher

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to try to have a few friends over next weekend to play some Virtua Fighter 5.

I've been playing it quite a bit and I'm finally getting back into the groove I was in with Virtua Fighter 4.

I'll probably have to wait until this summer to get any real competition though. It releases on X360 this summer and most of my friends have that or want that instead of a PS3. Sadly, it could turn into the fighter system if Sony doesn't loosen up on the 2D games and more 3D fighters find their way over there. Most people I know are just waiting for the confirmation for NGBC (they announced it, but haven't said much since) and to see if other fighters find there way on the console.
Eroico

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought an adapter I needed today so I could do some recordings of Lunar Knights. Heres two so far, they aren't quite the upbeat songs I mentioned, since I don't have a save file close to an instance where those tracks play. The first one is when you're about to board the ship (Lapalice? I forget already!) to purify the vampire(s). The second is from the second chapter where you first play as Aaron on the 13th street level.

Before Boarding
13th Street

Edit: For those who are curious Smile my method of getting the audio:

Last edited by Eroico on Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lashen

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got my Dreamcast Arcade Stick, been leveling up 3 seperate Vega World Tour files on Street Fighter Alpha 3.

They are color coded for each ism like the arcade version.

I'm odd like that.
Master Ace

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Meteo should I skip to Xenosaga III if I want to continue with the series?
E-Bob: Die for Avengance!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you stole my thunder, Dingo... you rat bastard!

Final Fantasy III- about 7 hours. everyone's at about level 15, job levels are around 12. just got out of the Tower of Owen. Deusch!!!!!!!

Harvest Moon: FoMT- 13th of August. over 114K in cash. married. i never thought one could be rich being a farmer. interesting.

Baten Kaitos: Origins- about 9 hours. everyone's at about level 14. battles are iffy... weapons and armor can only be used for a number of hits or attacks... which is lame. it'll all be explained deeper in the review at the end of the road.
Dingo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

E-bob, look at it as a form of flattery. I really enjoyed your Gaming Status thread on the old forums and figured I could bring it back; sorry if I offended you in anyway though.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was kidding man. damn the internet and its emotionless ways.
Dingo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figured you were, but said sorry for safe measure, lol. I see it better to apologize even if it was a joke rather than take something serious as a joke.
Meteoslasher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master Ace wrote:
Hey, Meteo should I skip to Xenosaga III if I want to continue with the series?

Well, it depends. If you're extremely concerned about storyline, I'd just stick with Xenosaga II. It wasn't THAT bad, just a disappointment after Xeno I. The story remains interesting, it's just the game play that is somewhat lacking.

Not to mention you can find Xeno II for very cheap prices on eBay and I'm not too sure if Xeno III has gotten any cheaper.
Master Ace

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Insanitist wrote:
I've beaten every fighting game from Capcom or SNK with every character by this point in my life.

Even on Lvl 8 difficulty?
Lashen

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not with everyone, but with many.
Eroico

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A third song from Lunar Knights Exclamation This one is actually one of the upbeat tunes.

Sneak Time
Birdo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Birdo wrote:
I'm seriously contemplating 3 game purchases
- Pursuit Force (PSP)

I just heard that this month, a sequel to this game is going to be released

so I'll just wait until they drop the price....they have to

...and we're stopping people from smoking.

What a shame.
LoadbearingBoss

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel like replying to this thread for no better reason than I was lurking on the old one when the Grid went down.

Final Fantasy V: (SNES, RPGe translation) In short, Neo-Exdeath is tempting me to start smoking. I feel like I should have taken him out long ago and I just.... haven't. Kind of like my heart just isn't in it at this point and I want an ending for all the work I've done. Without, you know, having to do any more, which is no way to handle a final boss. So I'm taking a short break from this one to clear my head -- see below for its replacements. For those curious about my party setup:

Bartz, Lv. 38: Has mastered Dragoon, but kept that class on him because the armor looks cool. Presentation is everything. Plus being in a party full of women isn't all its cracked up to be, so he can use that helmet as a Privacy Shield if need be. Weilding the Holy Lance and has GilToss as his secondary ability. Using him to cover whatever's needed when his turn comes up... Item-ing up a party member (or pulling Odin out of a Lamp, which kills 1/4th of Neo-Ex instantly), throwing coins at however many parts of Neo-Ex are left, Jumping offscreen if I need him not to be a target for some reason.

Cara, Lv. 38: Serving both the role of the party's Cute Little Girl and, oddly enough, Damage-Dealing Mega Tank... since that's how I was previously grooming the salty grizzled old man she replaced. Mastered Mystic Knight (aka Sorcerer) and Ninja. Has Excalibur in one hand, Enhancer in the other, usually with Holy cast on both of 'em. Sometimes I give her Throw instead of MagSword, just to try something new. Also doles out the Items, when needed.

Lenna, Lv. 37: Mastered both White and Black Magic. Healing, ressurection, and protection (though she often can't cast Shell fast enough, poor girl) are the primary duties, heavy damage dealing comes when there's a decent chance.

Faris, Lv. 36: Mastered Time Magic and Summoner. Golem, Haste2, Bahumut Bahumut Bahumut Meteo Bahamut Thanks For The Elixir! Bahamut... repeat until inevitable death.

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past I know everyone loves the Game Boy Zelda, but this one's still my favorite. Beat it again just last night... all heart pieces and items found without the use of a guide. It's also fun to revisit Nintendo's old draconian censorship policies, sometimes. "Use the silver arrows to give Ganon his last moment!"

"You mean these will kill him, then?"

"LAST MOMENT!"

Bahamut Lagoon Trying this out for the first time. I generally like it, though it's a little on the easy side so far (I'm on chapter 12, I think). The dialogue's not the best either... I'm of a mind to blame the original game for that rather than DeJap's translation, since I thought they handled Tales of Phantasia pretty well.

The default names are also on the horrible side, so it's the first game I've played where I actually drastically altered them. Decided to base 'em on Norse and Saxon mythology, for no reason at all. Changed Byuu to Beo, his dragon's name to Wulf (geddit? DO YA???), Princess... Yoyo became Idunn, the ship's named Yggdrasil, and I've got a lightning-loving dragon named Mjollnir in there somewhere...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvest Moon: FoMT- going through the motions. it's gotten a little boring again. but i must make the money to get the summer house. damn.

Baten Kaitos: Origins- untouched.

FFIII- about 8 hours. got owned 3x by a boss. i guess i do just need to level up. lame.

i gotta step it up a bit.
Lashen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That dramatic battle is pretty unfair in SFA3.

When you want to get a perfect anyway.
Dingo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

E-bob, as far as Final Fantasy III goes it's a great game (I have been procrastinating with it when I need to focus on it and beat it), but it is really tough. You have no idea how many times I've been owned by bosses, and the fact that you cannot buy Phoenix Downs is really unfair. It is a great game though, and I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
Eroico

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finished Extraction Point earlier today to a rather sad ending, or should I say lack of. No questions were answered, which I was aware of when I bought the game. However I started to notice the lack of quality in the environments, and just game play overall. It became pretty boring toward the end. I'm going to sell the game, no replay value at all. I'm still playing the original though, the "gotcha" scenes don't affect me anymore, but the action is still fun compared to this sad expansion.

Just started chapter five on Lunar Knights, so far every boss encounter has been a cake walk. Just enter trance mode and spam the heck out of the guy(s), an easy win every time so far. I've also fixed Aaron's lack of usability, I spent some time leveling him up and learning to properly use the terrennials and weapons (primarily the witch). And I did an experiment with experience points, the character not being used at the time gains half the points. I also get the feeling my characters are "under"-leveled, considering every enemy I'm facing right now are at least a few levels above my own.
Josh

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LoadbearingBoss wrote:

Bahamut Lagoon Trying this out for the first time. I generally like it, though it's a little on the easy side so far (I'm on chapter 12, I think). The dialogue's not the best either... I'm of a mind to blame the original game for that rather than DeJap's translation, since I thought they handled Tales of Phantasia pretty well.

The default names are also on the horrible side, so it's the first game I've played where I actually drastically altered them. Decided to base 'em on Norse and Saxon mythology, for no reason at all. Changed Byuu to Beo, his dragon's name to Wulf (geddit? DO YA???), Princess... Yoyo became Idunn, the ship's named Yggdrasil, and I've got a lightning-loving dragon named Mjollnir in there somewhere...

It may be on the easy side, but it's definately worth a play through.

For me, I played a little C&C Generals online, but other than that really no change since my last post.
Eroico

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone played Supreme Commander yet? I'm considering buying it, seeing how it's the spiritual successor to Total Annihilation, which I loved back in the day.

Oh and Jeremy Soule did the music again! I'm hoping he used an orchestra as well like he did for TA.
Dingo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Eroico, I just got around to listening to the Lunar Knights songs you posted; the music seems great. The Sneak Theme is really catchy and the others are great too Smile . Would you suggest picking up the game? I was thinking about it after one of my friends told me how it was (I just need to beat Final Fantasy III and Rogue Galaxy, lol).

Anyway, as for any updates of mine, I ordered an arcade stick for my PS2 (the Hori Fighting Stick 2) and it came in today so I'm trying it out in 3rd Strike. It controls really well and feels very responsive and smooth. As for Rogue Galaxy, I haven't had much time to play these past two or three days due to school and work, so I am waiting until I have a free day to play.
Eroico

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome Smile. I'd hate to recommend it, and then you wind up being disappointed Laughing. I'll say this much though: I myself am not regretting buying it Smile.

I went and splurged on Supreme Commander earlier today. And holy shit do I like it! It brings back memories of Total Annihilation, yet the scope of the battle field is great, I found zooming in and out of the map a great way to conduct my units, it made tedious tasks easy. I'm still really early in the first campaign, I found the way things were introduced during the first mission was a perfect way to show you the ropes. One moment that made me laugh was during one of the training videos. The voice over said something along the lines of "Hold control and left click to build 5 units, or hold Alt and left click to build 500." just the notion of being able to que up 500 units in a single click at a whim made me shiver in anticipation.
Revolutionist

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to hate FFIIJapanese but the other day I started playing it(FF Orgins PS) and actually I think I might have judged it too harshly...
sonic3305

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG.

One of my damn roommates is working at GDC.

Last night he had shots of something with Elijah Wood. I didn't believe him until he sent me a cameraphone picture with him. There's no picture to prove this one, but he also said that he "hugged Miyamoto." While he almost positively talked to him, seeing how he was working Shiggy's keynote speech, I don't know if he actually could have hugged him. It's not something that Japanese business-types do to other employees, like, ever. Who knows, though, maybe he's just cool like that.

Regardless, I must kill my roommate upon his return. It is a sad truth.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, FF V update: Finally defeated Neo-Exdeath an hour or two ago. Actually managed to do it with my entire party intact in the end, despite there being a point where Lenna only had 500 HP and everyone else was dead... Life2 and the Phoenix Esper are awesome inventions.
Dingo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Final Fantasy III: I've been focusing on beating this before Rogue Galaxy. I'm about 20 hours in with all my party member around level 40; having to find the crystal shard of Earth right now. Since E-bob is playing as well, I will leave out details as to not spoil anything.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VGMuseum Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: