VGMuseum
Video Games ''''Я'''' Us

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Five Star Match Database
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
HelloDes

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HelloDes wrote:
Omega and Naito, August 2016, courtesy of Guccifer 2.0 or some other Russian hacker:

https://rutube.ru/video/55eacb49959523cab3a5cc0b8fbef26b/

But you realize it's a Russian website. Now both of us are included in a permanent surveillance dossier with Paul Manafort and hooker piss videos.
Foleyite

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HelloDes wrote:
HelloDes wrote:
Omega and Naito, August 2016, courtesy of Guccifer 2.0 or some other Russian hacker:

https://rutube.ru/video/55eacb49959523cab3a5cc0b8fbef26b/

But you realize it's a Russian website. Now both of us are included in a permanent surveillance dossier with Paul Manafort and hooker piss videos.

Ahh, I watched the match via ASX TV On Demand, my friend.

I'm not clicking on that link and getting compromised. You're in like Flynn, baby.

I really hope that before this year is out, I get 1984-1985 Mid-South on the Network, the famous Bret Hart-Tom Magee match and the release of the piss tape. That probably won't be on the WWE Network, but hey, Trump's a WWE Hall of Famer, so I guess it could be on one of those "collections" in the vault.
HelloDes

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news/bad news on the Russian website. I'm in the clear, but my computer has polonium poisoning.
HelloDes

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5jp0vp_katsuyori-shibata-vs-kazuchika-okada-njpw-sakura-genesis-2017_sport

This latest 5-star New Japan match is an unfortunate one, since the reports are that it likely ended Shibata's career.

The odd thing is that while these guys are whaling on each other in the usual manner, there's nothing in this particular match, or the wrestlers' reactions, to indicate such a dangerous injury occurred.
Foleyite

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just watched a match from last fall between Shibata and Bobby Fish. Aside from Fish dumping Shibata on his head repeatedly with a variety of suplexes, there was a really uncomfortable moment where Shibata did a full-on actual headbutt and Jim Ross and Josh Barnett on commentary basically reacted with a "ughhhh did you hear that" reaction. Shibata busted his own head open on the headbutt, and he had blood trickling down into his eyes and he continued the match like it was whatever.
HelloDes

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doctors have completed a full cerebral scan of Shibata, and the news is not good.

Foleyite

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daniel Bryan is a big fan of Shibata and I'm pretty certain that he mentioned at one point that he was one of his dream opponents. If Bryan returns to the ring for New Japan after his WWE contract ends, let's hope we won't see those two turn their brains to mush in their quest for five stars.
Foleyite

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBJC4ZK5xbI

Meltzer said that Jay White vs. Will Ospreay from ROH's War of the Worlds PPV was maybe the best North American match of the year so far. This video is just highlights, but Ospreay is crazy. He manages to do things I've never seen before in every other match he competes in. You know WWE hates when guys/companies outside their jurisdiction get buzz in the wrestling world, so I can only imagine how many "What will it take to bring Kenny Omega/The Young Bucks/Will Ospreay/Ricochet here" conversations Vince and Triple H have had behind closed doors.
GIncognto

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had never seen Jay White before and for some reason I thought he was black. But no, just a white guy with terrible hair.
XDXSCSA123: NICE AND SOFT
XDXSCSA123: NOW LIP LOCK
XDXSCSA123: SEX
HelloDes

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foleyite wrote:
You know WWE hates when guys/companies outside their jurisdiction get buzz in the wrestling world, so I can only imagine how many "What will it take to bring Kenny Omega/The Young Bucks/Will Ospreay/Ricochet here" conversations Vince and Triple H have had behind closed doors.

More precisely, how badly do Vince and Triple H (etc) want to teach Kenny Omega/The Young Bucks/Will Ospreay/Ricochet the all-important lesson that whatever they've done in Japanese bingo halls means nothing, and that if they ever want to achieve anything, they'll need to pay their dues-uh jobbing to Rusev and the Usos for 2-5 years?
HelloDes

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the full Ospreay-White ROH match:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5m6ta2

Ring of Honor also employs the wrestler with the best wrestler's name in years: Punishment Martinez.
Foleyite

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HelloDes wrote:
Here's the full Ospreay-White ROH match:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5m6ta2

Good stuff. I also like that it was 13 minutes of action. Not 13 minutes of action stretched out to 25, so they could have the announcers talk about how epic it was and convince the crowd to chant "FIGHT FOREVER" or whatever.

Quote:

Ring of Honor also employs the wrestler with the best wrestler's name in years: Punishment Martinez.

We can definitely look forward to him teaming with Crime Time as "Crime & Punishment" at CHIKARA's King of Trios 2020.
Foleyite

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunne/Bate from NXT Takeover: Chicago was incredible. Easily the best match WWE/NXT has put on so far this year IMO. Davey Hearst Meltzley gave it **** 3/4, so it just missed the Five Star Seal of Approval.

The NXT title and tag title matches from Takeover were really good too, but not on the same level. Even though I think Nakamura is the better of the two, I thought Itami got a much better match out of Roode than Nakamura did.
KaneRobot

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This match isn't in the five-star database. I'm assuming because it's in the ten star database.

HelloDes

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be sharing that video clip with a small needy child. "Be the difference you wish to see in this world."
Foleyite

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KaneRobot wrote:
This match isn't in the five-star database. I'm assuming because it's in the ten star database.

The night WWE went full Chikara. I actually don't ever remember seeing this before.

I've always said wrestling needed more flutes.
HelloDes

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Five stars from Japan: Tiger Mask vs Music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmH5n98GelU
KaneRobot

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minus 5 stars database: Heenan makes a video for a judge while not wearing pants.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eBf3HfHM-8
HelloDes

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KaneRobot wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eBf3HfHM-8

I always felt the Iron Sheik was missubulated, and now I have my proof.
Foleyite

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, they hooked me in.

I signed up for NJPW World for the Dominion show.

Bring on the six-star classics, baby.
Foleyite

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Meltzer (and many others) overrated the first Omega/Okada match.

What happens if the rematch tonight is BETTER?

Foleyite

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foleyite wrote:
I think Meltzer (and many others) overrated the first Omega/Okada match.

What happens if the rematch tonight is BETTER?

Welp. Meltzy gave Okada/Omega II 6.25 stars.

Meltzer's star ratings system: the final frontier. These are the matches of the New Japan enterprise. Its mission: to explore psychology, to seek out new spots and repeated finisher teases, to be boldly rated where no man has been rated before.
HelloDes

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave this wrestling match 14 and 2/9ths stars, and I'm basing my grading system entirely on a 12-second clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFo_-CXiMzE
Foleyite

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HelloDes wrote:
I gave this wrestling match 14 and 2/9ths stars, and I'm basing my grading system entirely on a 12-second clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFo_-CXiMzE

I've seen a gif of this circulating for years and I still don't really know the context for it. And I don't WANNA know.
HelloDes

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That poor Mexican monkey midget had to undergo extensive physical therapy.

But he never walked again.

Foleyite

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HelloDes wrote:
That poor Mexican monkey midget had to undergo extensive physical therapy.

But he never walked again.

He can talk.

He can talk, he can talk, he can talk, he can talk

I CAN SIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIING
Foleyite

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see that DaveyBoy agreed with me that Omega/Elgin was the Match of the Night on Night 1 of New Japan's G1 Special. Although he gave Cody/Okada 4.5 stars and I wouldn't go any higher than about 3.5 stars for that one.

The time in Japan and the indies is doing Cody more good than some Main Event matches losing to Baron Corbin would, but Cody is 32 years old. I think it's probably time to give up any delusions that he'll ever be as good as Dustin or Dusty.

I also loved this couplet from Dave: "Gunn told Tanahashi to suck his dick. Tanahashi decided against doing that."
GIncognto

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foleyite wrote:
Although he gave Cody/Okada 4.5 stars and I wouldn't go any higher than about 3.5 stars for that one.

I was thinking 3.75, so clearly you both are idiots.
HelloDes

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3.62 stars, and that's a mathematical fact. Don't challenge me; I have Irish blood like Sheamus, and I love to foyt.
Foleyite

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many star percentage points are you guys adding for Brandi Rhodes' "Living in America" outfit?
HelloDes

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I awarded a whopping 3.4055-star bonus for Cody spitting in Okada's face. I watch wrestling almost entirely for the spitting.
GIncognto

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HelloDes wrote:
I awarded a whopping 3.4055-star bonus for Cody spitting in Okada's face. I watch wrestling almost entirely for the spitting.

Every Sgt. Slaughter interview was at least 573 stars.
Foleyite

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I finally finished Night 2 of the G1 Special and Kenny Omega and Tomohiro Ishii, (Steve Austin podcast voice) these guys had just a hellacious match. These guys had a damn near 35-40 minute match. Right when I thought they were gonna go home, they built it back to a peak, hit the GAS PEDAL, great selling, just a hellacious match. Omega, good-lookin' guy, hell of a worker, reminds me a little bit of Brian Pillman. Not exactly, but in some of the intensity he has, I enjoy his work a lot, I enjoyed the hell out of it.
Foleyite

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched the Best of the Super Juniors final between KUSHIDA and Will Ospreay yesterday. Dave "I'll Stop the World and Meltz With You" Meltzer gave it 5 stars. I'd say it's up there in the best matches of the year, but New Japan has been firing on all cylinders this year and I'm not sure it's even the 6th or 7th best match the company has put on, and it's only July. I will say that guys doing the reverse rana on the ring apron is a visually amazing spot, but it makes me think I'm watching a guy's neck being broken and it scares the shit out of me.

I also rewatched Okada/Omega 2: Osaka Nights. Both of the Omega/Okada matches were excellent, although they give in to one of my biggest pet peeves about modern wrestling. There wasn't much dead air in either, but I hate the idea that the longer a match is, the better or more epic it makes it. Did those matches need to be 45-60 minutes? Not really. Are they undeniably or markedly better than the matches Okada and Omega have had with Ishii and Shibata this year? Not IMO.

Even if WWE has Styles and Nakamura have a trio of 30-minute classics throughout the fall, I find it hard to believe that New Japan won't absolutely dominate the Observer awards voting for this year even more than usual. Okada and Omega are going to dominate Wrestler of the Year voting, with guys like KUSHIDA, Ospreay, Ishii, Naito, Takahashi, Elgin and Tanahashi getting their fair share of votes. The January 4 Wrestle Kingdom show is traditionally a favorite amongst Observer voters, but this year, you also have Dominion and the G1 Specials in Long Beach. And that's not even getting into the fact that WWE has had a pretty down year for shows and matches, despite their talent roster.

And NJPW starts the G1 Climax tonight. I'm sure Jinder Mahal vs. Randy Orton in a Punjabi Prison Match will show those guys that dives and having good matches isn't what wrestling's really about, though. It's the dives you don't hit, man.
HelloDes

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, they should monopolize that voting, shouldn't they? Meltzer's big aesthetic hard-on is for wrestling that presents itself as "tough" and "real."
He'll always (wrongly) prefer Bruiser Brody to Chris Jericho.

And he's therefore been less enthusiastic about other aspects, and really hates the stupidity. I like these Okada-Omega-Etc matches, and I also liked when Hornswoggle painted an escape tunnel on a wall and then ran through it like the Road Runner but Carlito bonked his head. What can I say, I'm a veritable Renaissance Man of watching itinerants pretending to settle scores in their underpants.

But New Japan has it all over WWE now-- it's not even close-- and I can't even comprehend their interviews or histories or storylines or motivations. Presumably the shows would be even better if I understood that stuff.

When they did that ringside "I'm a-gonna throw in the towel/No no, you mustn't!" business in the second O-O match involving Cody Just Cody, I was taken aback by the unexpected arrival of an angle.
KaneRobot

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the 5 Alarm Match Database
HelloDes

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okada-Omega 3 can be found online (albeit with Japanese announcing). With a 30-minute time limit, it had a faster feel to it, which had its ups and downs. Even as playacting, it was a little tough to tolerate Kenny Omega reacting in shock and anguish that Okada kicked out of a devastating pin at the 4-minute mark.

Even so, they did some crazy crisp moves including some new ones, some of which landed way too hard in the New Japan tradition that should be a boon to the Japanese wheelchair industry starting in 2025 or so. I doubt Meltzer will give them 6.5 stars this time, but (surprise, surprise) it's well worth the viewing time.

Just the fact that it's being referred to as Okada-Omega 3 tells you all you need to know about how these guys have separated themselves this year. Other wrestlers are already stealing their moves (I'm specifically thinking of Omega "eluding" Okada's one-winged angel finisher by the ingenious tactic of collapsing from exhaustion).
Foleyite

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HelloDes wrote:
Okada-Omega 3 can be found online (albeit with Japanese announcing). With a 30-minute time limit, it had a faster feel to it, which had its ups and downs. Even as playacting, it was a little tough to tolerate Kenny Omega reacting in shock and anguish that Okada kicked out of a devastating pin at the 4-minute mark.

Even so, they did some crazy crisp moves including some new ones, some of which landed way too hard in the New Japan tradition that should be a boon to the Japanese wheelchair industry starting in 2025 or so. I doubt Meltzer will give them 6.5 stars this time, but (surprise, surprise) it's well worth the viewing time.

Just the fact that it's being referred to as Okada-Omega 3 tells you all you need to know about how these guys have separated themselves this year. Other wrestlers are already stealing their moves (I'm specifically thinking of Omega "eluding" Okada's one-winged angel finisher by the ingenious tactic of collapsing from exhaustion).

I liked Okada/Omega 3 better than the first two. I like the constraints of the 30 minute time-limit and the fact that it was immediately a sprint to win. The other two matches had the same "look how long this match is going, look at all these cool moves, and false finishes, how epic" problem that WWE and other companies fall prey to constantly. The story of Okada's neck (and the wear and tear he's taken over not only the G1 Climax but his string of long, physical title defenses this year) and the previous two matches also built more story for this one.

It was my Match of the Year for almost 24 hours until I watched Omega and Naito nearly kill each other in the finals.
Foleyite

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meltz:
Quote:
Both Kenny Omega and Tetsuya Naito are said to be fine after all the chances they took in their match this afternoon in Tokyo. There were tons of scary spots, but the worst two were a piledriver off a table to the floor, which was not supposed to happen, and a superplex spot that ended up with Naito being DDT'd on the top of his head on the top of the ring post.

Naito & Omega are superhuman then.

I also love that that item is followed up by this:

Quote:
On a lighter note, the stuffed cat, Darryl Takahashi returned and gave Naito a paw bump after he won the tournament. Darryl had a bandage on his hind paw after he was torn limb from limb by Bad Luck Fale, until he was put back together again.

Who says New Japan doesn't do sports entertainment?
Foleyite

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Meltzer:

Omega/Okada 3: The Dream Warriors - ******
Omega/Naito G1 Climax Final - *****3/4

No word yet on what last week's Randy Orton/Jinderrrrrrrrn;ubdf;ban;fdbfndfd az

Sorry, I dozed off.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VGMuseum Forum Index -> GX All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: