VGMuseum
Video Games ''''Я'''' Us

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Five Star Match Database
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
HelloDes

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:04 pm    Post subject: Five Star Match Database Reply with quote

Someone has compiled a master list of Dave Meltzer match rankings going back to 1983. (Ignore the links going back to 1963; they're blank.)

http://www.profightdb.com/top-rated-matches.html?pg=1&year=2017

How many fabled "five star matches" were there by year?

1983-- 1
1984-- 1
1985-- 1
1986-- 2
1987-- 2
1988-- 1
1989-- 5
1990-- 1
1991-- 2
1992-- 2
1993-- 3
1994-- 5
1995-- 3
1996-- 3
1997-- 5
1998-- 1
1999-- 1
2000-- 0
2001-- 0
2002-- 0
2003-- 1
2004-- 2
2005-- 2
2006-- 1
2007-- 0
2008-- 0
2009-- 0
2010-- 0
2011-- 1
2012-- 2
2013-- 3
2014-- 1
2015-- 3
2016-- 4
2017-- 2 (so far, including the "6 star" one)

Total: 61

New Japan: 19
All Japan: 16
NWA/WCW: 9
WWF/WWE: 4
ROH: 4
NOAH: 2
PWG: 1
TNA: 1
AAA: 1
SMW: 1
CWF: 1
UWF: 1

(I might be off by 1 somewhere)

Most seemingly unlikely participants on the 5-star match list: The pre-Bushwhackers; Paul Ellering; Sid Vicious; Nikita Koloff; Razor Ramon; The Undertaker.

YouTube/Dailymotion/Whatever away!
KaneRobot

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bushwhackers have more five star matches than Daniel Bryan. If his kid is born, it may immediately die of shame.
Foleyite

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched that Naito/Elgin match a week ago or so. It was very good. I actually think it was better than the Omega/Okada match, as far as laying out a match-long story, selling and avoiding the typical "fighting spirit" and false finish stuff.

Honestly surprised to see Daniel Bryan Danielson not have any 5-star matches and Benoit only having one (as Wild Pegasus in NJPW vs. The Great Sasuke).

I definitely wanna track down that SMW WarGames match and that Vader/Muta match from 1991.
HelloDes

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Upon further review, this link is slightly more convenient than 35 separate links:

http://www.profightdb.com/top-rated-matches.html

There's no way Dave would give five stars to three consecutive Ric Flair-Ricky Steamboat matches today.

I'm seeing 12 different five-star matches involving Mitsuharu Misawa, which without doing comprehensive research looks like the most for anybody.
HelloDes

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, okay, a little more research:

Mitsuharu Misawa-- 12
Kenta Kobashi-- 9
Ric Flair-- 7
Hiroshi Tanahashi-- 6
Kazuchika Okada-- 5
A few different guys-- 3
GIncognto

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bryan not ever getting ***** makes a little more sense when you think about him revealing his ultra-low ambition test scoring in his autobiography. Along with being talented (yes) and lucky enough to be put in a spot where you can have a memorable match with the right opponent (eh), having the ambition to try to push a good match that makes fans happy to the next level of being one of the best matches ever is a factor.

HelloDes wrote:
There's no way Dave would give five stars to three consecutive Ric Flair-Ricky Steamboat matches today.

Well yeah they're both in their 60's, it would be tough to see them eclipsing ***1/2.
XDXSCSA123: NICE AND SOFT
XDXSCSA123: NOW LIP LOCK
XDXSCSA123: SEX
HelloDes

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foleyite wrote:
I watched that Naito/Elgin match a week ago or so. It was very good. I actually think it was better than the Omega/Okada match, as far as laying out a match-long story, selling and avoiding the typical "fighting spirit" and false finish stuff.

I just watched it. And I also don't enjoy the "you punch me, I punch you" Japan shtick (except when it was Balls Mahoney and the crowd yelled "Balls!" or "Nuts!"), so in that way the Naito/Elgin match was more to my taste. However, while it didn't have false finishes, it had an "oh well, time to finish" finish that felt flatter than most of the match. I'm usually underwhelmed by the art of "telling a story in the ring," which 90% of the time means "pretend that a body part hurts a lot to explain why you're not just pinning the guy" or "fail twice to hit your big move, then hit it the third time." With apologies to the boys in the back and paying respect to the business-uh, these "stories in the ring" ain't Dickens. What I really liked about the match were the sudden stops in velocity they did with three or four of the blocked moves. Those took a lot of strength and balance from Elgin, and agility and timing from Naito. I don't know that their match was better than Omega/Okada, but it wasn't appreciably worse, either. Anyway, here it is, go watch it.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5bhv0a
HelloDes

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bryan Danielson:
4 3/4 stars-- 9/09, vs Naruki Doi
4 3/4 stars-- 8/07, vs. Takeshi Morishima
4 3/4 stars-- 9/06, vs. KENTA
4 3/4 stars-- 8/06, vs. Nigel McGuinness

Who in the bloody valley of the Jolly Green Giant is Naruki Doi?

Oh, and I forgot to combine Kenta Kobayashi's totals with KENTA's totals. With that oversight rectified, he has the most five-star matches (13).

And now he's Hideo Itami. So many names. In the parlance of AOL Generation GX, the guy must be ducking a suepina.
Foleyite

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GIncognto wrote:
Bryan not ever getting ***** makes a little more sense when you think about him revealing his ultra-low ambition test scoring in his autobiography. Along with being talented (yes) and lucky enough to be put in a spot where you can have a memorable match with the right opponent (eh), having the ambition to try to push a good match that makes fans happy to the next level of being one of the best matches ever is a factor.

Eh, I don't think that's really being fair to Bryan. That was more about a self-promotion aspect of his personality. He never said he didn't have a good work ethic. I don't think Bryan ever half-assed it in the ring, and he was seemingly constantly working hard on that aspect of things and he knew how to get over with and play to a crowd.

I would put Bryan-Cena (SummerSlam 2013) or Bryan/Ryback/Kane vs. The Shield (TLC 2012) up there against any of the Okada/Tanahashi matches that Dave goes nuts over or just about any match, ever. Those matches involved Cena, Ryback and Roman Reigns and I'd still gladly give them 5 stars. Bryan was as capable of having a 5-star match as any guy I've ever seen wrestle. Hell, I'd probably give his Mania match with HHH the full 5 stars and though HHH has been pushed to the heavens and given every opportunity to have memorable matches, he really only delivers when you've got someone like Foley or Bryan in there with him and a good angle. The Bryan match is legitimately the only great HHH match I can think of that doesn't involve multiple people/stipulation/gimmick of some kind.
GIncognto

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HelloDes wrote:
Oh, and I forgot to combine Kenta Kobayashi's totals with KENTA's totals. With that oversight rectified, he has the most five-star matches (13).

And now he's Hideo Itami. So many names. In the parlance of AOL Generation GX, the guy must be ducking a suepina.

While KENTA is Kenta Kobayashi, Kenta Kobayashi is not Kenta Kobashi. The similarity is why Kenta Kobayashi started going by KENTA, and now Hideo for WWE reasons.

Kenta chopping KENTA
Foleyite

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HelloDes wrote:

Mitsuharu Misawa-- 12
Kenta Kobashi-- 9
Ric Flair-- 7
Hiroshi Tanahashi-- 6
Kazuchika Okada-- 5
A few different guys-- 3

It's shocking to me that Bret & Shawn only have 2. And that he chose the wrong Bret/Owen match in '94 to give 5 stars to, as well.
Foleyite

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foleyite wrote:

I definitely wanna track down that Vader/Muta match from 1991.

I found a low-quality fancam of this on Youtube. It's really good. It's short for a 5-star "classic". It felt a little like the Sting/Vader matches, which were fantastic and only a year or so away. The other notable thing is how loud the crowd is, since the reputation of fans in Japan back then was that they were respectful and quiet. They're loud, chanting for Mutoh, and then they throw their seat cushions into the ring when it's all over.

The Big Two in the U.S. had some pretty great matches in 1991 (off the top of my head - Perfect-Bret, Warrior-Savage, Sting/Luger-Steiners), but this match really does seem to be hinting more towards the future of the '90s with the outside brawling, powerbomb, handspring elbow and aerial offense.
HelloDes

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GIncognto wrote:
While KENTA is Kenta Kobayashi, Kenta Kobayashi is not Kenta Kobashi. The similarity is why Kenta Kobayashi started going by KENTA, and now Hideo for WWE reasons.

Kenta chopping KENTA

So I started out being correct, but by trying to become more correct, I instead ended up wrong and stupid!

Last edited by HelloDes on Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:30 am; edited 1 time in total
HelloDes

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the all-seeing eyeballs of Dave Meltzer, this is an example of a 4 1/4-star match.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-koj9Uwdr4
Foleyite

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HelloDes wrote:

Mitsuharu Misawa-- 12
Kenta Kobashi-- 9
Ric Flair-- 7
Hiroshi Tanahashi-- 6
Kazuchika Okada-- 5
A few different guys-- 3

Actually, going over the list, Misawa has 14 in the list.

(13 as Misawa and one as Tiger Mask II.)
HelloDes

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, and Other KENTA has 4, which is one more than "A few different guys." And Toshiaki Kawada has six. And my incompetent skimming probably missed five for Shad Gaspard in there someplace.

Nevertheless, I stand by my work.
Foleyite

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thu, Apr 21st 1983
NJPW Sumo Hall Show (Apr '83)
Tiger Mask I vs. Dynamite Kid

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4pesoi

It's crazy how much this match holds up. This is as good as anything on NXT, the Cruiserweight Classic or NJPW. You could show this to a modern fan and it wouldn't seem that out of place with today's product. And it's from 1983. I don't think any other matches from 1993, let alone 1983, hold up this well. It's been said a million times by guys like Meltzer but these guys were so ahead of their time. Mysterio and Benoit especially owe these two so many royalties.

13 years later, Tiger Mask and Dynamite Kid are on opposite sides of a Michinoku Pro six-man in the Kid's last match. Tiger Mask looks twice the size of his 1983 self and Dynamite Kid looks sickly and skinny, to the point where his tights are sagging off of him. The Kid/Tiger segments of the match aren't anything special. Kid does his signature snap suplex and tombstone piledriver, but it just looks like it's taking a lot out of the guy now and it feels really exploitative to even have him in there. Why I decided to track this down and feel depressed after that great match from '83, I'm not sure. Sad last chapter for a feud that's so legendary.
Foleyite

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wed, Dec 5th 1984
UWF (Original) Tokyo Show (Dec '84)
Kazuo Yamazaki vs. Nobuhiko Takada

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rdf8kP8uKuw

This one was weird because I'm not familiar with either of these guys and basically had no context for this match. Unlike the Tiger Mask/Dynamite Kid series, this match feels of its time. It's basically 20 minutes of mat wrestling. Although one guy did do a badass version of KaneRobot's finisher towards the end.
HelloDes

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't speak Japanese. How can I tell which one is Tiger Mask?
Foleyite

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HelloDes wrote:
I don't speak Japanese. How can I tell which one is Tiger Mask?

Tiger Mask looks like this:

This is the Dynamite Kid:

Foleyite

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just looked at Meltzy's 2016 Observer Awards. No real qualms or surprises with any of the winners. Although I do feel like Tag Team of the Year was American Alpha's to lose until WWE called them up to SmackDown and proceeded to do next to nothing with them, while The Revival and DIY continued having great matches in NXT and The Young Bucks did their thing all around the world.

Matt Hardy definitely deserved Gimmick of the Year for the "Broken" stuff, although that's starting to hit jump-the-shark territory. I don't even know what promotion the Worst Gimmick ("Bone Soldier") is from. Kinda amazing that TNA won Best Gimmick and didn't win Worst Gimmick, really.
HelloDes

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there some online compilation of Broken Delete Matt (or Jeff) Hardy?

I haven't seen a second of it, and though I know the story was well-received, I don't understand it, either. Admittedly, I have a tendency to skim the TNA section of the Observer and absorb less.

It seems like it's something about brother controlling brother, with family members, and weirdness, but in my complete ignorance, it sounds like Bray Wyatt mixed with some Lucha Underground mixed with Bret and Owen mixed with backyard wrestling mixed with "The Social Network." I don't know what "delete" means, and I don't know whether it's Matt deleting Jeff or Jeff deleting Matt, and if there's any resonant TNA backstory leading into the Hardys' new angle then I'm utterly doomed. Although I do know that one of them "killed" the other one's dog.

So, is there a Hardyz Delete Saga for Dummies video?
Foleyite

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HelloDes wrote:
Is there some online compilation of Broken Delete Matt (or Jeff) Hardy?

I haven't seen a second of it, and though I know the story was well-received, I don't understand it, either. Admittedly, I have a tendency to skim the TNA section of the Observer and absorb less.

It seems like it's something about brother controlling brother, with family members, and weirdness, but in my complete ignorance, it sounds like Bray Wyatt mixed with some Lucha Underground mixed with Bret and Owen mixed with backyard wrestling mixed with "The Social Network." I don't know what "delete" means, and I don't know whether it's Matt deleting Jeff or Jeff deleting Matt, and if there's any resonant TNA backstory leading into the Hardys' new angle then I'm utterly doomed. Although I do know that one of them "killed" the other one's dog.

So, is there a Hardyz Delete Saga for Dummies video?

I don't think so, it'd be too long. It's really not the easiest gimmick or angle to explain. At the end of the day, the thing that really made the "Broken" stuff work was mostly the tone of it. It was just weird and funny and meta in a way that was somehow unlike anything else in wrestling. And like a lot of things in wrestling, it just sort of built and morphed into something as it went along and gained popularity.

It started during Matt/Jeff Feud #19 when Matt changed his hair and started talking in a melodramatic bad British accent. He started calling Jeff "Brother Nero" and blamed him for "breaking" his spirit. He would now gain revenge and "delete" him. Matt lost to Jeff again, so this time, he challenges him to a match at the Hardy house. This is where the gimmick really took off and became a thing that people started chanting for and talking about on the internet. Matt won the right to the Hardy name by defeating Jeff, and the "Final Deletion" segment introduced a lot of the tropes that are now associated with the gimmick: the Vanguard-1 drone, Senor Benjamin, Skaarsgaard the Dilapidated Boat, the Lake of Reincarnation, etc.

Having now "deleted" Jeff, Broken Matt now wanted to use Brother Nero to win the TNA tag titles for himself. At first, it was basically like your run-of-the-mill "I lose a match, so now I have to be this character's slave" wrestling storyline. But Broken Matt was becoming so popular that he was essentially being turned face by the fans. Jeff sacrificed himself in a match to save Matt and then became "Broken" himself. Matt appreciated the sacrifices of Brother Nero in their matches and they began confronting the Decay as more of a unit. Matt also had his wife and kid in the storyline, and it was easy sympathy for Matt, since Decay were creepy horror characters that were threatening to kidnap Matt's son. As "The Broken Hardys", they traded the tag titles with the Decay and eventually won the feud.

Their next mission was to prove that they were "the greatest tag team in all of time and space". Matt began calling out teams from other promotions, like "The Days of the New" and "The Bucks of Youth". They began traveling to Mexico and to indy promotions to collect tag titles. This is where it seems obvious to me that the Hardys were planning to leave TNA all along no matter what happened, because they've been challenging the main tag teams from ROH and WWE for months now. The "Expedition for Gold" segments were essentially highlights of shows where the Hardys showed up and won tag titles in other promotions. It's easily TNA's most successful gimmick in years. But they have gained the least from it. The Hardys have been reinvented and are able to leverage more money from whoever it may be. They can charge a little more for their indy shots, and the indies get a show with the Broken Hardys. The gimmick really didn't get anyone outside the Hardy family over and TNA's image might have been helped a little by the positive buzz, but it doesn't seem to have mattered.
Foleyite

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tonight, in a bizarre episode (even for Impact standards), the Broken Hardys were written off. At least they did something and didn't just stop mentioning them.

Matt & Jeff fought with a real kangaroo named Smokin' Joe. Then they grabbed Vanguard-1 and attempted to teleport, like they do. Decay somehow intercepted the teleportation and ended up with the tag belts.

And that's the story of the Broken Hardys' Impact run, I guess.
KaneRobot

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HelloDes wrote:
it sounds like Bray Wyatt mixed with some Lucha Underground mixed with Bret and Owen mixed with backyard wrestling mixed with "The Social Network."

Throw in a Mexican groundskeeper and a small rowboat, but yeah.
HelloDes

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone has uploaded "The Broken Hardy Saga" on YouTube. 83 separate videos, totalling about three and a half hours. But no kangaroo. Yet.
Foleyite

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HelloDes wrote:
Someone has uploaded "The Broken Hardy Saga" on YouTube. 83 separate videos, totalling about three and a half hours. But no kangaroo. Yet.

I just found this on YouTube and it only goes up to December, so far. That's a lot of Broken Hardys. Hopefully Matt Hardy's 2 year old son beating Rockstar Spud is in there.
Foleyite

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just watched Styles/Nakamura from last year's NJPW Wrestle Kingdom event. It's one of the better matches I've seen from the last year or so. Better than probably anything on the Mania card will be. Then again, to be fair to WWE, how could they possibly book a MOTYC for Mania that could equal a match like A.J. Styles vs. Shinsuke Nakamura?
HelloDes

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

0:11 of
"Oh no! My brother has been turned into a boat!"

Ugh, not this tired old angle again.
Foleyite

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This was the second best show I've seen this year live or, Internet or TV or anywhere. In particular, the tag teams were all on fire, one of the best collections of tag teams I've seen in any promotion in a long time, and the opener was just ridiculous how good it was. The main event was among this years' best matches. Pretty much the consensus this was their best show since the second day of Battle of Los Angeles.

No star ratings for the matches yet, but Davey Boy Meltz gave this weekend's PWG show a *raaave review*.

That note about the tag team thing is a little misleading, since only one team is a full-time tag team and the rest are guys that tag together here and there on PWG shows and get a cute, funny tag team name but aren't really full-time tag teams.
Foleyite

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up watching the Samoa Joe/Punk match from October 2004 last night.

I think I started watching it once, but never got past the first few minutes. At first, I thought I wasn't gonna like it that much. It had the feel of a match that was obviously gonna go long, so they're just gonna do a bunch of mat wrestling for a while to pace themselves. But the hour flew by and I really enjoyed it. It really felt like a big deal, and both guys were just super physical. It didn't feel like a series of practiced spots and finisher-trading and near-falls. It felt like a fight. Good, good stuff.
GIncognto

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the most recent Observer Meltzer claims that Manami Toyota had 23 5-star matches between 1992 and 1995. So I feel like something is off.
Foleyite

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From "American Wolf" Davey Meltzerds' daily update today:

Quote:
Yesterday was the 36th anniversary of the first-ever five star match, a March 23, 1981 match at the Mid South Coliseum in Memphis between Terry Funk and Jerry Lawler

This wasn't on that site's listing.

So Lawler vs Funk, you know what happens when you have a five star match?

HelloDes

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funk-Lawler:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAWhhKdMt88

As you'll see, the big problem with the match is that Terry Funk absolutely refuses to sell any of Lawler's moves.

You also get Jimmy Hart doing his finest Mystery Science Theater 3000 impression.
GIncognto

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HelloDes wrote:
Funk-Lawler:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAWhhKdMt88

As you'll see, the big problem with the match is that Terry Funk absolutely refuses to sell any of Lawler's moves.

You also get Jimmy Hart doing his finest Mystery Science Theater 3000 impression.

I was fully prepared to say "man the standards for a 5 star match sure have changed" but I watched this right after watching Shane McMahon "punching" AJ Styles on Smackdown so I am going to give it 18 1/4 stars.
Foleyite

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/846157758038654976

@davemeltzerWON How the hell isn't either Taker vs HBK WM match or Steamboat vs Savage 5 stars? They're arguably 3 of the greatest matches.

Dave's response:
Unfortunately I've watched more than just WrestleMania matches in my life.
HelloDes

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Omega and Naito, August 2016, courtesy of Guccifer 2.0 or some other Russian hacker:

https://rutube.ru/video/55eacb49959523cab3a5cc0b8fbef26b/
Foleyite

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched Shibata/Honma from last year's G1 Climax last night. It's one of the most uncomfortable matches I've watched recently. Both guys are always pretty stiff and in the wake of the recent Shibata news, Shibata gladly taking AWFUL bumps on his head and neck was cringe-inducing. Honma took his bumps too and as always, did his Chris Benoit Memorial Falling & Flying Headbutts.
Foleyite

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just watched the Ishii-Okada match from last summer's G1 Climax. "Dr. D" David Meltz gave this baby 5 stars.

I don't know, I don't see it. It has stiff shots and head drops that you get in any modern New Japan "big match". Not to downplay the bumps, hard work, talent or booking of everyone involved, but I feel like a match should go a little above and beyond and stand out from the pack to be a "5 star match". It doesn't have to be innovative. But I feel like this was about as good as any match you see on their weekly AXS TV show. Meltzer seems to think highly of Okada and he's certainly had enough good matches to be in the "best wrestler in the world maybe?" conversation over the last few years, but I'd rather watch Omega, Naito, Elgin or the juniors.
Foleyite

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HelloDes wrote:
Omega and Naito, August 2016, courtesy of Guccifer 2.0 or some other Russian hacker:

https://rutube.ru/video/55eacb49959523cab3a5cc0b8fbef26b/

This match is so good. Omega is really great in this one, although both guys worked hard, took sick bumps, did some superb selling and some cool counters. Omega's leg is targeted early and he does a good job never insulting the logic of the match. Throughout the match, he is fighting through the pain and goes back to favoring the leg, slapping feeling back into the leg, second-guessing moves that involve jumping or putting weight on the bad knee. When he can't put weight on the bad leg and get Naito up for his finisher, he says "fuck it, I'll take this guy out with flying knee strikes" and when that doesn't work, he sucks it up and goes for his finisher.

As far as Naito goes, any guy willing to take a dragon suplex on the ring apron is certifiably nuts. Omega's springboard somersault into the crowd is pretty scary, as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VGMuseum Forum Index -> GX All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: