VGMuseum
Video Games ''''Я'''' Us

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1996 Royal Rumble Memories

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Foleyite

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:23 am    Post subject: 1996 Royal Rumble Memories Reply with quote

Mr. Perfect: "Who's that?"

Vince: "That's Doug Gilbert coming in!"
Foleyite

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vince: "HERE HE COMES, THE WILDMAN FROM JAPAN, OMORI! Omori, from All-Japan Pro Wrestling!"
Foleyite

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vince: "That's one of the Squat Team members! Making his debut here in the World Wrestling Federation. One of the Squat Team Members.... my goodness, what BEEF in there."

(On the next entrant)
Perfect: "He just got eliminated. Oh, that's the other Squat Team."

Vince: "Wait a minute."
GIncognto

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was actually the event that got a young G back into wrestling. I watched back in the late 80's up until around 1991-92 then pretty much didn't watch at all between 1993 and 1995. The 1996 Rumble was in Fresno, which was like a half hour from where I lived at the time, so it was BIG NEWS because nothing ever happens out there. The Rumble fever swept me up and I started watching again, and was super into wrestling for the next 5 years. I actually watched the Rumble "scrambled" on cable because wasn't no way my family was shelling out that cash for wrestling.

The scrambled PPV's bring up another memory...I was friends with a kid a few houses down at the time who also liked wrestling. His family knew somebody who had a cable descrambler and they asked him to record Wrestlemania that year. So one day the kid is like "We got the tape, come over and watch it!!!" We pop the tape in, and apparently this family friend knew nothing about wrestling and just heard "tape the wrestling PPV", because we start watching and it's fucking WCW Uncensored. So instead of Michaels vs. Hart 60 minute iron man match, we get Hogan burying pretty much all of WCW in a triple level cage. Craptastic.
XDXSCSA123: NICE AND SOFT
XDXSCSA123: NOW LIP LOCK
XDXSCSA123: SEX
Foleyite

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jokes about filling out the Rumble with random outside guys aside, I was actually super into this PPV and the WWF in general at the time.

Vader was being hyped up to debut. Austin wasn't a big deal at all yet, but two of my favorite WCW guys were now gonna be in the WWF and according to Jim Ross on the WWF SUPERSTAR LINE, Cactus Jack, The Ultimate Warrior and Jake Roberts were also on their way. (I was pretty excited about everybody except Warrior coming back. That makes me sound smarky now, but I was a huge Bret/Shawn guy and the Warrior coming back meant at least one of those guys were probably getting demoted back to the IC title level.)

My two favorite guys, Bret and Shawn, were now in the main event scene. I was never a big Diesel guy, but his 'tweener' stuff that started after Survivor Series '95 actually did make him kinda cool and unpredictable. The Undertaker was starting to be more 'serious' and less of a 'cartoon character that feuds with big, fat guys with weird gimmicks' guy.

The mid-card looks pretty thin now in retrospect, when HHH is feuding with the likes of Henry Godwinn and Duke "The Dumpster" Droese and Barry Horowitz, Dory Funk Jr. and Aldo Montoya have spots in the Rumble. But there were also guys like The 123 Kid, Hakushi, Davey Boy & Owen, Yokozuna, etc. Compared to the '93-'95 era, this felt packed with starpower and talent at the time, even if it would soon be eclipsed by the excitement and starpower of the years to follow.

It was weird to watch now and realize that HBK does not get a big pop at all when he enters the Rumble. I guess I didn't really notice guys' reactions in the days before PWI Weekly subscriptions and the internet, but he does not get a "guy about to win and be the top babyface for the next year" reaction at all.
KaneRobot

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dory Funk.

Vince: "It's Mr. Funk!"

Perfect: "Yee-haw! That's a nice jacket!"
Mr Perfect
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best moment: Twin Undertakers (bottom-left corner) rock out to Barry Horowitz' Hava Nagila entrance.

Quote:
(I was pretty excited about everybody except Warrior coming back. That makes me sound smarky now, but I was a huge Bret/Shawn guy and the Warrior coming back meant at least one of those guys were probably getting demoted back to the IC title level.)

I was anti-Warrior because they kept havin' him beat my boy, Perfect. I mean, you can't have people kicking out of the Perfect-Plex. It's supposed to be perfect! What sense does that make? If you're going to do that, just call it the Maybe-Plex.

All I'm asking for is some consistency.
HelloDes

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, the suffix "-plex" is a combining form that means "having parts or units." A common example is "duplex," a single home divided into two separate living areas. "-plex" is never used except in conjunction with a numeric qualifier.

While we can argue about whether a thing is or is not perfect, the only number that has a logical claim on perfection is 1. Therefore, Curt Hennig's move should never have been called the perfect-plex. It should have been the plex.

I'm starting to wonder whether WWF/WWE understands the slightest thing about Latin. Perhaps this man knows the answer:

Foleyite

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least the Perfect-Plex was a pretty protected finisher. Off the top of my head, I think only Hogan, Warrior and Bret kicked out of it. Does anyone in modern day wrestling have a finisher that's never been kicked out of more than 2 or 3 times? We're supposed to be surprised and chant "THIS IS AWESOME" when someone kicks out of Cena's Attitude Adjustment, even though I think everybody whose ever been on the roster has kicked out of it 100 times each.

I'm sure tons of guys kicked out of the "Hennig-plex" later in WCW, but that's not the same thing, obviously.
HelloDes

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The internationally respected "Mr. Perfect Trivia Archive" claims that Roddy Piper also kicked out of the perfect-plex. Just when you think you know the answers, the Mr. Perfect Trivia Archive changes one-fourth of the answers.
Foleyite

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfect vs. Piper is actually an interesting match-up I don't ever remember happening. Sure enough, WWE has uploaded the match to YouTube. It's pretty great for 1991 WWF standards. But there was no PerfectPlex in the match at all.

So I had to find the match they had the previous year, where Piper did indeed kick out of the PerfectPlex. Also, really good. Better than pretty much anything I remember from the WWF in 1990. I'm sure Warrior/Hogan and Harts/Demos from SummerSlam don't hold up that well now. Of course, I imagine Saba Simba's debut holds up just fine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VGMuseum Forum Index -> GX All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: