VGMuseum
Video Games ''''Я'''' Us

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Non-WWE Wrestling Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
HelloDes

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Short Mexican Telenovela:

"Little girl, why is your father using a wheelchair at just 32 years old?"

"He used to be a wrestler in Lucha Libre."
HelloDes

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave Meelsnur's Typos Are One Thing, But Does He HAVE to Bring Up Unsavory Rumors at a Tragic Moment Like This?, Vol. II:
Quote:
Jeanine DeNucci, the wife of Dominic DeNucci, passed away on 9/11 in her sheep.

Foleyite

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Following the departure of some of WhatCulture's key staff members, What Culture Pro Wrestling will also be undergoing some changes before the end of the year.

The promotion announced today that they would be rebranding as Defiant Wrestling in December. The first show under the new name will be a live iPPV called "WeAreDefiant" on December 4th at the O2 Academy in Newcastle, which will air on their new Access Defiant on-demand service and will be available on the FITE app.

Stu Bennett, who was formerly known as Wade Barrett in WWE, was revealed to be the promotion's new on-screen general manager after former authority figure Adam Blampied was among those to leave WhatCulture earlier this month. Bennett will open their Refuse to Lose iPPV broadcast on October 2nd, which will be the last show branded as a WCPW event.

1. I still don't exactly understand how What Culture has been operating as a pro wrestling promotion. And flying in some of the biggest names in the business, no less.

2. Defiant Wrestling is one of the worst promotion names I can remember. Your acronym is just "DW", which is awkward-sounding and can't really be chanted.

3. I'm surprised it took Wade Barrett this long to emerge in the UK indy scene.
KaneRobot

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't even know WhatCulture was a promotion. I thought it was just a YouTube channel that put up shitty, factually inaccurate top 5 lists about wrestling.
Foleyite

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KaneRobot wrote:
I didn't even know WhatCulture was a promotion. I thought it was just a YouTube channel that put up shitty, factually inaccurate top 5 lists about wrestling.

Oh yeah, they are also that.

But then they somehow had the money and resources to start their own promotion. Of course it was called What Culture Pro Wrestling because who wants to have a promotion name that sounds "good" or "not confusing". And of course the guys from those BuzzFeed countdown videos were authority figures and characters in the promotion. Somehow they were always promoting shows, springboarding off of all the hype the UK indy scene was getting. And within literally a few months of being a promotion, they were somehow booking big-name talent. Just running through their events, you've got names like Alberto El Patron, Kurt Angle, EC3, Cody, Minoru Suzuki, Matt Hardy, Bully Ray, Johnny MundomorrisIMPACT, Drew McIntyre, Ricochet, Adam Cole, Jay Lethal, Matt Riddle, The Young Bucks, Rey Mysterio... and the list goes on with more New Japan, AAA, TNA and ROH talent. These are the biggest non-WWE names out there and a promotion built off of the back of a YouTube channel can afford to bring all these guys in? I assume Meltzer has some kind of write-up and breakdown of how this promotion has been able to do this, but it just seems really weird, unless there's a some bored, rich guy in England just loaning these guys hundreds of thousands of dollars.
HelloDes

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foleyite wrote:
2. Defiant Wrestling is one of the worst promotion names I can remember. Your acronym is just "DW", which is awkward-sounding and can't really be chanted.

Maybe the What Culture wrestlers just got tired of having every promo ruined by the crowd, chanting "WHAT (Culture)? WHAT (Culture)? WHAT (Culture)?"
GIncognto

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foleyite wrote:
I assume Meltzer has some kind of write-up and breakdown of how this promotion has been able to do this, but it just seems really weird, unless there's a some bored, rich guy in England just loaning these guys hundreds of thousands of dollars.

They made a bunch of money on YouTube with their dumb wrestling videos so figured if they started a promotion they would get even more money on YouTube. I'm not sure if they were actually making any money with the wrestling events (I can't see how they would be) but recently YouTube changed their categorization of wrestling content, which dropped the money per video view or however they calculate it by a ton, to almost nothing. So now they have to change what they are doing.

That's the gist I get from reading about it in the Observer over the past few months.
XDXSCSA123: NICE AND SOFT
XDXSCSA123: NOW LIP LOCK
XDXSCSA123: SEX
Foleyite

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GIncognto wrote:
Foleyite wrote:
I assume Meltzer has some kind of write-up and breakdown of how this promotion has been able to do this, but it just seems really weird, unless there's a some bored, rich guy in England just loaning these guys hundreds of thousands of dollars.

They made a bunch of money on YouTube with their dumb wrestling videos so figured if they started a promotion they would get even more money on YouTube. I'm not sure if they were actually making any money with the wrestling events (I can't see how they would be) but recently YouTube changed their categorization of wrestling content, which dropped the money per video view or however they calculate it by a ton, to almost nothing. So now they have to change what they are doing.

That's the gist I get from reading about it in the Observer over the past few months.

Thanks for this. I kind of assumed some of this, but I didn't know about the "YouTube changing their categorization" thing. It's just crazy that people can essentially make a living from being YouTube guys. That guy that travels around to every baseball stadium collecting baseballs won't reveal how much he makes via his YouTube channel, but apparently the guy is making something like six figures a year, if some of the articles about him are anywhere near accurate.
HelloDes

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wasn't enough when the Washington Nationals got Edge.

Now they've picked up Roman Reigns.

(His oversized picture is stupid annoying because he's The Big Dog and everything in this (or any other) thread revolves around him.)
Foleyite

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, Roman Reigns really does ruin everything.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VGMuseum Forum Index -> GX All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: