VGMuseum
Video Games ''''Я'''' Us

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WWE NETWORK THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Foleyite

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harb wrote:
Dr. D. David Shultz at home with his family. I'm nominating it as perhaps the greatest segment in wrestling history. The network has paid for itself for this month with that wonderful piece of production alone.

Agree on the greatness of this segment. I'm not the first person to mention the similarities between Schultz and Stone Cold Steve Austin (I think even Austin has brought it up), but damn if this guy didn't have something. I'm actually looking forward to seeing the eventual Hogan/Schultz match.

Des - as the resident eldest fan here - what was the perception of Schultz back then? From everything I've read, he quickly became one of the top heels in wrestling and then he gets fired for that infamous Stossel incident and that was pretty much it for his career. Yet his name is never really brought up as one of the great 'what ifs', a la Magnum T.A., Owen Hart, Pillman, etc.
HelloDes

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foleyite wrote:
Des - as the resident eldest fan here

Shut up shut up shut up shut up SHUT UP

Nevertheless, I didn't have the normal wrestling upbringing. I wasn't a fan when I was a kid. I didn't follow the Apter magazines; I don't think I even knew about them. About twice, there was some wrestling thing in the ether, like the Zybysko-Sammartino feud, that I heard something about but didn't see or understand.

All of which means that I had no sense of David Schultz's pre-WWF background, and still don't. He may have been a huge deal before coming to the WWF... or maybe the WWWF. I got in for the tail end of that, and saw them lose the W. In the same vein, all I know about how WWWF booked itself is what I've learned in the decades since. Apparently, Vince Senior's standard M.O. was to bring in some vicious baddy or monster creature type, and feed him a couple of stiffs that he could brutalize. This legitimized him to the point where he could challenge for the title. The first match, he'd leave the champion bloody and torn apart, but for whatever reason not win the title. There'd be a rematch, which might be a won for the champ, but would also have some kind of an unresolved feeling to it. Match #3, the good guy would always win, and the bad guy would either do a quick cycle down the card for 2 months, or leave immediately.

Dr. D was one of these guys. Brought in, supposedly a verrrry dangerous man, but you knew he was just filling a slot and wasn't going to be the Guy... or the Backup Guy.... or the Guy Who Might Hang Around Long Enough to Trip Into Being the Guy.

On a 1984 depth chart, Schultz was undisputedly behind Hogan, Piper, Andre, Orndorff, Snuka, Iron Sheik, JYD, Muraco, Studd, Slaughter, Santana, Valentine, Steele, Johnson & Atlas, the Wild Samoans, Ventura, Fuji, Patera, Beefcake, or a falling Backlund, not to mention Albano and Blassie.
Really, he was just a guy like Chief Jay Strongbow or Ivan Putski or Tonga Kid or Butcher Vachon or B. Brian Blair or Rene Goulet. He didn't even reach Masked Superstar, Rick McGraw, Blackjack Mulligan or Moondogs level. The force of his push was indistinguishable from Salvatore Bellomo's. However, he was ahead of Rudy Diamond and Frankie Williams.

When the John Stossel thing happened, there was an element of "Why did they use Dr. D on the show? Why HIM?" The most interesting thing about his time in WWF is what got him fired.

Sorry, Dr. D.
GIncognto

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw old man Des down at the general store today, smoking his corn cob pipe. He told me about Doctor D, when candy bars used to be 3 for a penny, and what the problem is with Mexicans. Our elders are full of wisdom, we should take advantage of it.
XDXSCSA123: NICE AND SOFT
XDXSCSA123: NOW LIP LOCK
XDXSCSA123: SEX
Harb

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Des is WRONG. The most interesting about him is THAT TNT segment. Boxing Stossel's ears also makes him a hero. That guy's annoying.

Seriously though, if Shultz was that generic back then, he'd be a top guy today. Am I right, RANDY ORTON?!
Harb

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GIncognto wrote:
Saw old man Des down at the general store today, smoking his corn cob pipe. He told me about Doctor D, when candy bars used to be 3 for a penny, and what the problem is with Mexicans. Our elders are full of wisdom, we should take advantage of it.

My favorite thing about old man Des is that corn cob pipe. The button nose is second.

Come to think of it, is Des actually a snowman?
Foleyite

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That NXT special was really, really good. Roman Reigns manages to be the most boring guy on another show. The Finn Balor entrance and the crowd's reaction to Hideo Itami just TEASING the Go To Sleep was fantastic.

8 years ago, G and I attended a show featuring Kevin Steen and El Generico. Honestly, I came away really disliking Steen. He seemed like a sloppy, fat bully who did backyard wrestling and I vaguely remember a pre-match promo having some eye-rolling homophobic comments. Generico was fun and did some cool stuff, but on a card with the likes of A.J. Styles, Super Dragon, Davey Richards, Human Tornado, Chris Sabin and Christopher Daniels - he honestly didn't stand out at the time.

Generico won me over years later with some work I saw of his in Chikara. I'm aware that Generico and Steen had a memorable tag run and a feud in Ring of Honor, but I haven't seen that stuff. I know Steen became a major player there by becoming a more intense promo and by doing an almost-Pillman "FUCK THIS PLACE I'LL KILL SOMEONE" type of character.

But, the Kevin Owens stuff in NXT has been done brilliantly and Sami Zayn may be the best wrestler IN THIS BUSINESS today. I say this as a guy who hasn't seen the bulk of their work. Just as I became a fan of Punk and Bryan because they impressed me with their WWE stuff, I am enjoying these guys because it turns out that they're seasoned professionals at this thing and because they're good. Zayn-Owens sounds more exciting than anything going on in RAW-Land.
HelloDes

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harb wrote:
GIncognto wrote:

My favorite thing about old man Des is that corn cob pipe. The button nose is second.

Come to think of it, is Des actually a snowman?

I don't like to brag (except about CM Punk UFC predictions that were typed without question before the announcement). But it's a little-known fact that I am the fastest bellywhoppa... in da woild.

I saw the Unpredictable Johnny Rodz wrestle!

GIncognto

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foleyite wrote:
8 years ago, G and I attended a show featuring Kevin Steen and El Generico. Honestly, I came away really disliking Steen. He seemed like a sloppy, fat bully who did backyard wrestling and I vaguely remember a pre-match promo having some eye-rolling homophobic comments. Generico was fun and did some cool stuff, but on a card with the likes of A.J. Styles, Super Dragon, Davey Richards, Human Tornado, Chris Sabin and Christopher Daniels - he honestly didn't stand out at the time.

I liked Generico a lot at the time and I remember the tag match he was in with 3 guys that never really did anything outside of Southern California indies being awesome. I thought he could go onto bigger things with that gimmick but I figured it was really all predicated on the gimmick...I was wrong. I thought his promo on that show was decent, I forgot about any homophobic comments. I just remember him passing a photo around the crowd of him as a kid, which was different and endearing. I think the push they are giving him in NXT is awesome.

And oh yeah, that Finn Balor face/neck/chest/back paint job was pretty badass. It's really tough to judge what is in NXT that will work in the WWE though, since the crowd is waaaay different. You mentioned the reaction to Itami setting up the Go 2 Sleep...it seemed like most fans knew what it was going to be and that was his finisher from Japan, where 90% of the WWE crowd would have no idea who he was or that he did that move. Actually they'd think he stole it and they'd just start the CM Punk chants.
Foleyite

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GIncognto wrote:
You mentioned the reaction to Itami setting up the Go 2 Sleep...it seemed like most fans knew what it was going to be and that was his finisher from Japan, where 90% of the WWE crowd would have no idea who he was or that he did that move. Actually they'd think he stole it and they'd just start the CM Punk chants.

I think that reaction was half-knowing it's his finisher, half-holy shit he's still gonna use it, in spite of the Punk situation.

As far as the RAW crowds not being as smart or whatever - if you treat your audience like idiots, you'll eventually end up with the audience that you deserve. By 2016, the only people left in the crowd might be kids in John Cena gear and people who buy things at the store because they saw Adam Rose eating it backstage once.
Foleyite

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that NXT special may have actually been the best WWE show of the year. WrestleMania and Royal Rumble really weren't that good outside of the Daniel Bryan matches. The streak ending was a "moment", but the match was terrible. Cena-Wyatt was pretty bad. The Shield had a two-minute match. The Rumble really only had a great Bryan-Wyatt match and then great crowd reactions throughout the night because of Bryan. Everything on this NXT card was good and moved things forward and even though it didn't have the spectacle of a big show, it had the crowd totally into everything.
Foleyite

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was worth watching the TLCS Pre-Show just for this.

JBL says Stardust's outfit tonight makes him look like "The Great Gazoo" and mentions it as a "jumping the shark" moment for 'The Flintstones'.

Lawler: "I thought only Fonzie jumped the shark."

JBL: "It's kind of an analogy for when shows have gone too far or in danger of 'jumping the shark', like maybe the Great Gazoo."

Cole: "Or Miz TV."
Foleyite

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps it's only because I now know that he may have murdered a woman, but Jimmy Snuka staring into the camera and doing a promo on Tuesday Night Titans is terrifying.
HelloDes

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, this is one of those articles that makes you click 38 times to up their "hit" count, but it does have some entrancing images I hadn't seen before.

http://whatculture.com/wwe/11-infamous-before-they-were-famous-wwe-cameos.php

And none of those youthful cameos were Mick Foley watching Jimmy Snuka jump off the cage onto Magnificent Muraco.

That's the same shirt Foley wore when he won the title. And when he got married. And yesterday.
HelloDes

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, does anyone have $71 to spare?

Harb

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HelloDes wrote:
Also, does anyone have $71 to spare?

Sorry man, the highest I would go on that amazing chair is $70.99. Sad
Harb

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HelloDes wrote:
Unfortunately, this is one of those articles that makes you click 38 times to up their "hit" count, but it does have some entrancing images I hadn't seen before.

http://whatculture.com/wwe/11-infamous-before-they-were-famous-wwe-cameos.php

And none of those youthful cameos were Mick Foley watching Jimmy Snuka jump off the cage onto Magnificent Muraco.

That's the same shirt Foley wore when he won the title. And when he got married. And yesterday.

I must have never seen the epic John Cena vs. HHH match at 'mania 22, because I don't remember the gangster entrance. Punk got a lot of face time on that. A lot of these I have seen though. Maybe about half. My favorite has to be the mulleted Edge at WrestleMania 6.
Foleyite

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm watching the early Nitros and I was watching Dean Malenko and Eddie Guerrero debut in a match against each other from October 1995. A cynic could say "Well, they didn't make them feel like a big deal. They cut away to a Hogan interview." Sure. But WCW let them go out there and do a 7-minute version of the matches they'd been stealing the show with for the last few months in ECW.

WWE is signing plenty of indie guys these days but I can't see them just giving 10 minutes of TV time on RAW up to be a showcase for Adam Cole and Jay Lethal, (or whoever the closest equivalent to a modern-day Guerrero/Malenko would be).
HelloDes

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The worst thing about Nitro was that Eric Bischoff had about 7 guys he gave a shit about, and WCW rode that attitude right into its "Thelma & Louise" finish. The best thing about Nitro was that Eric Bischoff had about 7 guys he gave a shit about, which opened the door for certain wrestlers to just do whatever the hell they wanted. I don't think Chris Jericho ends up with the same stellar career if he had been properly valued, and positioned and pushed like Alberto Del Rio.
Foleyite

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, Steve McMichael appears in Lawrence Taylor's corner at WrestleMania XI in April 1995, along with some other NFL guys. McMichael gets the most airtime out of the group aside from Taylor, brawling with Kama and doing commentary with Vince on a RAW before WrestleMania.

Did he expect a job or ask for a job with the WWF and get turned down?

In September 1995, he's one of the commentators for Nitro. A few months intro Nitro's run and I'm pretty sure McMichael has made more anti-WWF comments than Bischoff has; I could see him just following Bischoff's lead and being a yes-man for his new job, but maybe there was more than meets the eye?

Bischoff's comments are more about spoiling RAW and talking about how people want to come to WCW. McMichael's are generally more bitter and negative and more about how the WWF is a "LESSER LEAGUE BABY".

No, I don't know why I suddenly care about Steve McMichael's career path.
Foleyite

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it was worth my $9.95 this month, just to see the crowd reaction shots during the Abdullah the Butcher-Manny Fernandez Sombrero-on-a-Pole match at Starrcade '85.
Foleyite

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I've been watching the AWA supercards on the Network.

WrestleRock '86 has a staggering 16 matches and a ton of talent that would soon be snapped up by Vince or Crockett. Apparently, this show went about six hours and had a Waylon Jennings concert, so I don't mind that this show is edited down to 3 hours and 41 minutes, although a few big edits are strange to me:

The famed "WrestleRock Rumble" is never even shown on the broadcast.

The Midnight Rockers vs. Doug Somers/Buddy Rose match is not on here.

I would think those 2 things would be two of the main points of interest for modern fans seeking out this show.

Also, the AWA tag title match between Hall/Hennig and The Long Riders is about 13 minutes. But internet sources have the match going almost a half-hour.

Overall, it's not a bad show for its time at all. I'd probably say it's better than WrestleMania 2 from that same year. The AWA tag division of 1986 was STACKED (The Rockers, LOD, Hall/Hennig, Rose/Somers, The Fabulous Ones, The Freebirds, Windham/Rotunda) before they got raided.
GIncognto

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Network has all Nitros up now, which gives me the opportunity to review the only WCW show I ever attended, a terrible Nitro in Las Cruces, NM on August 28, 2000. I haven't seen it in 16 years so let's take a look!

It starts off with the WWE Network showing me an ad for a restaurant called "Bojangles", which I have never heard of but upon researching is a fast food place in the South. I guess the Network decided I MUST live in the South if I am voluntarily watching a Nitro from August, 2000.

Terrible Nitro logo!

The show starts off with a recap of the nWo reuniting for the 300th time. This time it includes Bret Hart!

A "live" shot outside the arena which is lame for 2 reasons: It's bright daylight so even if it was live (it was 6:00 Mountain Time) it looks cheesy and fake and takes you out of the moment, and secondly this particular arena is out in the middle of nowhere on the edge of a spread out college campus bordering on the desert. But oh ho! A LIMO is pulling up! Big Poppa Pump (with the steel mesh towel on his head), Nash, Jarrett, and Vince Russo get out. Jarrett has already sweat through his shirt, even though it's a dry heat.

We get right into the "action" with THREE COUNT vs. the Dark Carnival of Insane Clown Posse, Vampiro, and Great fucking Muta!?! But of course Muta leaves the wrestling up to the real pros and sits at the announce booth.

Mark Madden claims Larry Zbyszko is a juggalo. Three nice dives by 3 Count so 2000 WCW's interesting wrestling limit for this match has been reached. Vampiro gets completely lost after bouncing off the ropes, and I'm pretty sure Insane Clown Posse were somehow better wrestlers than him. Muta is yelling gibberish that I'm pretty sure is not Japanese and making faces. "I'd Rather be at Raw" sign in the crowd. Fat ICP press slams Shannon Moore, which is kind of impressive, then Skinny ICP does the worst guillotine legdrop ever for the pin, which is not. Terrible rap band beats terrible boy band.

Tank Abbott out, he kicks Sugar Shane Helms in the nuts then dangerously throws his face into the bottom rope instead of throwing him out of the ring, in a spot reminiscent of Enzo's recent injury. Now 3 Count AND the Dark Carnival are all beating up Tank so I'm not sure why he came out there. KISS DEMON RUN IN! But the announcers are just calling him "The Demon Dale Torborg" so maybe KISS had figured out even they should not be merchandising with WCW at this point. Muta spits the green mist in the Demon's face but right as he does the camera nonsensically cuts away to a disinterested fan for 1 second.

The lights go out and Sting gradually jogs to the ring and beats up 3 Count/Dark Carnival with his phony baseball bat. So Sting, KISS Demon, and Tank Abbott are buddies for some reason.

Back from commercial and we're down to 4 second-tier Nitro Girls by this point. This is after they started trying to have them wrestle (as we will sadly see later).

Russo, Nash, Jarrett, and Steiner are out and take turns doing terrible mic work. Natural Born Thrillers are their bodyguards. Jarrett calls everybody slap asses. Sign: "JEFF JERROT IS A SLAP NUT". Jesus I graduated from this college. Jarrett calls Mike Awesome a big stinking turd. Steiner gets on the mic and the fans cheer because at least it might be "funny bad". NOBODY puts their hands on Bog Poppa Pump's freaks. He tells Goldberg that he could shave his ass and walk backwards and look better than his girlfriend, while Mark Madden fake laughs. Nash seems even more disinterested than average Nash and does the most half-assed explanation of a heel turn I have ever seen. He says he's going to beat Booker T for the title at Fall Brawl, then Russo says the title match won't be on the PPV, it will be on Nitro! Classic WCW move. Booker T comes out, blah blah save the drama for your mama. He asks which one of them will face him tonight, which makes no sense. The script probably changed 50 times in the last hour. Now Ernest Miller is out and for some reason he's the boss. Russo calls him Dolemite, which comes off as pretty racist since he's not dressed like Dolemite at all. Russo kicks The Cat in the nuts (second nutshot on the show already, Schiavone calls it a "suckerpunch") and there's a beatdown. Booker falls down further than Nash wants to bend over so he lazily punches the air above his head. Filthy Animals (ugh) of Konnan, Disco Inferno wearing FUBU shorts, and maskless little girl Rey Mysterio run in. Then later on THE JUICE Juventud Guerrera moseys in and blows the first attempt at a press slam by Steiner, followed by Poppa Pump holding him over his head while yelling "YOU AIN'T SHIT!" repeatedly at the crowd. Nash/Steiner/Jarrett/Russo walk out triumphantly as Goldberg shows up on the Nitro-tron digging a grave, I guess to symbolize how many wrestlers those guys just completely buried. Vince Russo is NEXT.

I should mention that the number of times "ass" is said on this show is truly staggering.

Incredibly low-rent looking backstage segment that just shows how superior WWF's production values were. Russo answers the phone and we can hear Goldberg over the arena loudspeakers telling him he's next, even after Russo threw the phone to the floor.

Now we have Queen Sharmell, ahem Paisley, vs. Major Gunns vs...Tygress? I don't know, Paisley was the only one that warranted a graphic, apparently. Paisley throws a terrible kick, Gunns sells it as if she were Kevin Nash who just smoked all the pot in the world, the ref screws up and counts 3 when he's not supposed to, the bell rings and a winner is announced, but the women ignore it and keep wrestling because apparently that wasn't the finish. Schiavone says it was a 2 count and the ref makes a waving motion like the match it still going on! Then Gunns throws a terrible slow motion kick, the women are lost, they keep wrestling for a second, then just leave as the announcers are completely confused and we cut right to a backstage segment. This sequence makes me want to perform oral sex on the entire WWE women's roster as a thank you. Even Charlotte.

Oh yeah the backstage segment featured Konnan hitting the Natural Born Thrillers with a fake tire iron and bending it, so that's all you need to know about that.

Jarrett is in the overflow parking lot that's for poor kids who didn't have a parking pass, where he selects a couple of Slap Nuts (tm) guitars out of a pickup truck that has like 30 guitars in it. I'm curious as to whether they bought a bunch of guitars or actually shipped a ton of guitars across the country.

That 70's guy Mike Awesome talks to a random attractive big titty interviewer backstage and challenges Rick Steiner to a bunkhouse match, because apparently they still had bunkhouse matches in 2000.

Kronik vs. The Harris Brothers in a HOUSE OF PAIN MATCH (which is just a cage match) during the middle of the first hour for some reason. Stipulations = ratings. One of the brothers is thrown through the cage as if he is the Big Show, and I guess that's the end of the match but there's no bell. One of the Harris's's starts beating the shit out of a ringside fan who barely touched him, which I would assume was part of the show since the announcers focus on it, but this was WCW so it's doubtful they knew what was and wasn't part of the show. Oh NOW the bell rings.

Team Canada of Lance Storm and Elix Skipper are out, and I'll admit that I liked Elix Skipper for some reason. Storm challenges Misfits In Action (ugh) to a prisoner of war match, where the winner takes an opposing team member hostage. Jesus it's like this show was booked by Vince Russo or something. Oh. General Rection sadly does not force Chavo and Lash Leroux to wrestle naked in order for them to leave early. He does try to get a cheap pop but references the Aggies of "New Mexico", not "New Mexico State" University where he is currently at. It's Storm vs. Sgt. AWOL (What's that up there, brother!?!) and Storm wins after about a minute by putting AWOL through a table because I guess it was a tables match? Anyways he chooses Major Gunns as the MIA member to steal for some reason (probably rape).

We've got Sting vs. Great Muta later! It will be fun to see how they fuck that up!

Awesome vs. Rick Steiner. I guess a bunkhouse brawl is a regular match where Jeff Jarrett runs in then Mike Awesome is put through a table and loses. So that's 2 straight matches that ended with broken tables, plus the prior one that ended with a broken cage.

It must be close to the time Raw comes on the air because it's time for the title match! Vince Russo is at the announce table and guarantees a title change, which brings an annoyed look to Schiavone's face because spoiler alert there's a title change. Oh I forgot the stipulations for this one: Jarrett is ref and Poppa Pump is the ringside enforcer. Jarret acts like he's going to call it right down the middle. Nutshot (3) to Nash. Jarrett throws Steiner out from ringside and shoves Russo. Oh but it was a SWERVE! Booker hits the bookend but Jarrett hits him with one of his 30 paper guitars and Nash wins the title. So it made no fucking sense to act like he was calling it down the middle for 10 minutes. Vince Russo, everybody!

Goldberg has entered the building!

Shane Douglas is in the upper deck with Torrie Wilson and cuts a shitty promo on Kidman. They crammed everybody from the upper deck into this one section to make it look full, the remaining 90% of the top deck was empty. He wants a scaffold match at the PPV with Kidman, let the stipulations continue! Crowbar (not Konnan's bent crowbar, the wrestler named Crowbar) comes out and beats him with a trash can lid, but Douglas slams him onto the lower deck (about 10 feet) onto a gimmicked fake concession stand. They stopped for an extended period of time before the spot to make sure it was set up, because this is WCW. Down to the ring and Goldberg spears Douglas and immediately starts bleeding heavily from his eyebrow because it's Goldberg. Also because Bret Hart hit him with a shovel in a taped segment that would air later. Then he grabs the mic and calls Douglas a prick. I would say Brad Maddox is somewhere watching this crying but he can't afford the $9.99.

KEVIN NASH SHOWER SCENE. They have a blurry circle covering his ass but it doesn't move fast enough and you can clearly see his skin-toned tights. Booker T assaults him in the shower Bruiser Brody-style and steals the belt.

Backstage in Russo's office, Steiner leaves because he doesn't want to hang around and get killed by Goldberg. Russo grabs his arm and Steiner says "Don't touch me or I'll shove that thing up your ass!". I can only assume 'that thing' is his forearm.

An invitation to Stacy Keibler and David Flair's wedding in 2 weeks. I don't even have a joke for that.

Jarrett is out for what seems like the 8,000th time tonight. Hey when you have a talent like that you better ride him to the finish line! He's going to take on Big Vito and no doubt give him a concussion. God Big Vito sucked. They had a match, and it was there. Jarrett wins with the stroke.

Back from a commercial, we get Jarrett in ANOTHER segment as he goes out to his guitar truck (update: the sun has finally set) and Mike Awesome ambushes him.

During a graphic promoting Scott Steiner vs. Goldberg at Fall Brawl, Schiavone says it will possibly be "match of the year". I went and checked the Observer awards, it shockingly did not crack the top 10.

Natural Born Thrillers are out and let me see if I can remember all of their names with no help: Stasiak, O'Haire, Palumbo...Reno?, Mike something, shit I forgot the name of O'Haire's buddy. ::checks:: Mike Sanders was the talker and JINDRAK was the guy I was forgetting. Anyway Sanders says they will rule pro wrestling for the next ten years (he would never be seen again after March, 2001) and calls out the Filthy Animals, ugh. 5 on 5 with Meat Stasiak sitting this one out at the announce booth and calling Schiavone "Tony Jabroni". Tygress appears to be part of the Filthy Animal team for some reason, pulling double duty here. Mysterio is in his "orange prison jumpsuit and hair horns" phase, and boy did he make a good career move going back to the mask. Jindrak does an impressive no-hands quebrada but Mysterio moves. Disqo with his stunner ripoff, then Juvi amazingly hits a springboard dropkick without slipping. Just realized that calling a group that's 80% hispanic "filthy" probably wasn't the most progressive idea ever. Juvi does a big flip dive onto everybody and it's a fucking countout. Oh wait I guess this is a Survivor Series-style elimination match for some reason so now the only people left are Above Average Mike Sanders and Tygress. How the 3 guys from each team who weren't tagged in managed to get counted out is something that can only be described by 2000 WCW logic. Madden calls Tygress a "fiery latino witch". She hits a bronco buster but it rejuvenates Sanders and he hits his finisher, NBT win.

Goldberg is backstage and knocks out Steiner with a pipe. Russo runs in to Big Vito, who gives him the "kiss of death". I should mention that in the arena the audio was messed up on this, so you couldn't hear what they were saying and just saw Vito kiss Russo on the mouth for no reason.

Russo and Vito walk out to the ring, and I can clearly remember yelling "GET A ROOM!" to them. So clever. Russo calls out Goldberg, who evidently does not get the message from Admiral Ackbar and comes out. It's the old "you can't touch me or you're fired" bit now. Plenty of close ups on Goldberg where you can see his bloody eyebrow, which will come into play WCW-style shortly. Goldberg ingests his own blood, Russo orders Vito to hit him with his stick, and OMG SWERVE Vito hits Russo instead.

Now it's Great Muta vs. Sting as the main event, which should be awesome but it's clear from earlier in the show that for whatever reason they are both lazy as shit at this point. They start brawling in the aisle and it's not terrible at first, but they both get blown up after a couple of minutes. They brawl back towards the entrance and Vampiro cuts his way through the video screen. The maneuver to very awkwardly have Vampiro jump down and hit Sting from behind with a Singapore cane. I can't help but wonder how much the screen cost to replace. Vampiro climbs back up to the screen, Sting follows, and he's pulled behind the screen and beaten on by the whole Dark Carnival. This is all going on in silhouette like Road Warrior Hawk's suicide fall, or if you prefer, Prince's guitar penis.

They cut to outside the arena where Goldberg has driven Russo out into the middle of the desert to meet Bret Hart's Cadillac for some reason (remember earlier he was clearly shown to be a part of Russo's new nWo). I should note that it looks like it's early afternoon, in contrast to the previous outside segment where the sun had already set. Bret says he wants to beat up Russo over Montreal and shakes hands with Goldberg, SWERVE! OH DOUBLE SWERVE Bret gives him a hard wallop in the back with a shovel, causing him to smack his eyebrow on the car's door frame and explaining his bleeding all over the place earlier.

AND WE'RE OFF THE AIR, FOLKS!

So we had Jeff Jarrett in 5,000 segments, 12 million swerves, patented WCW production stupidity, and hotshot booking galore. Of 9 matches, 2 were regular matches that ended normally, 5 were stipulation matches, in 1 they never got in the ring and there wasn't really an ending even though the bell rang to start it, and in another the match ended, was re-started, and never ended while everybody just walked away in confusion. 2000 WCW everybody, watch it today!
Foleyite

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This Christmas edition of Nitro from 2000 with "the best tag matches from the year" is pretty indicative of how far and how quickly that company fell.

Here are the matches from this episode:

David Flair & Crowbar vs. Lash LeRoux & Midnight
The Mamalukes & Disco Inferno vs. The Jung Dragons
Curt Hennig & Buff Bagwell vs. Scott Steiner & Jeff Jarrett
The Misfits in Action vs. Team Canada
Kronik vs. The Perfect Event (This match ended when The Cat came out and choked the referee and asked to ring the bell. The announce team didn't really adequately explain how this made any sense. Something about the New Blood, and The Cat being in Bischoff's back pocket and ::Zbyzsko voice:: THE LEVEL PLAYING FIELD.)
Booker T & Billy Kidman vs. WCW World tag champs The Harris Brothers (Booker is using the Rock Bottom by this point, but neither of the Harris Brothers know how to take it.)
Mark Jindrak & Sean O'Haire vs. Juventud Guerrera & Rey Misterio Jr. (That doesn't sound bad on paper, but this is during The Filthy Animals phase. So you have to listen to Konnan's "JIGGA WHAT FEEL MY SHIRT THAT'S ENUFFFFF", and Juventud's "THE JUICE IS IN THE HOUSE AND THE HOUSE IS IN THE JUICE", followed by Disco Inferno saying "Word to ya mutha" in a Kobe Bryant jersey. I did laugh at Zbyszko's response: "My mother died.")
3 Count vs. The Jung Dragons (The focus of this match was a comedy subplot where Shane Helms got injured, and Tank Abbott took his place. The match ended when Yang did a "AHYYAHHHHH!" crane-kick stance and Abbott laid him out with one punch.)
Kidman & Lance Storm vs. Rey Misterio Jr. & Juventud Guerrera (Again, this looks good on paper, but this was Rey & Juvy dressed up as Kidman and Storm and doing impressions of them because it was so funny when DX and the nWo did it 2/3 years prior.)
David Flair & Miss Hancock vs. Major Gunns & Lieutenant Loco

And your "dream team" main event:

Sid Vicious & Hulk Hogan vs. Scott Steiner & Jeff Jarrett
Foleyite

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched that Lightning Kid/Jerry Lynn GWF match they recently uploaded and it was really good. The stipulation (it's 2/3 falls, but you can only win a fall with your finisher) is silly, but it was real good stuff and it's bizarre to think these guys were arguably still 5 or 6 years away from their peaks.
Foleyite

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Is that something you would entertain today, returning to pro wrestling commentary or is that just something that's in the rearview mirror?

"Yeah, I think it's in the rearview mirror. I don't think I have the… I don't think I have the voice for it anymore. I don't know if I could bellow that stuff out like I used to. And I did get in touch with Vince recently. I wanted to be a producer. I thought the Network was phenomenal and a chance for me to go through all that old footage? Holy smokes, that'd been great. And I heard they needed a producer, but I never heard back from him.

"I got in touch with them and Kevin Dunn called me and said, 'well, we have announcers. We don't need any other. Don't take this the wrong way, but we've got announcers that we want and they're younger guys.' And I said, 'I understand. Younger guys work for a lot less and you've got some good guys.' I said, 'Kevin,' and I can't remember who all I talked to, who all I sent texts to, I said, 'I don't want to announce wrestling anymore. I want to be a producer. I want to work on The Network.'

"That's what I want to do. I want to produce. And he said, 'well, I'll get back in touch with you' and he never did. So that again tells me that… I don't know if you call that 'blacklisted' or not, but that's fine. But, again, to answer your question, I just don't know. I could probably do it again. My voice was going. It was I was screaming a lot, two hours and forty-five minutes on a pay-per-view, three hours on a Nitro, and then, taping a Thunder, about Wednesday, my voice was shot, so I don't know if I've got that in me anymore."

I would actually love it if they put WCW Saturday Night on the network, and had Schiavone do some intros or some discussion on the context of the shows/era or something like that. Hell, it's a better use of time than Holy Foley or their version of Pardon the Interruption.
HelloDes

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WWE has put up four videos of "Southpaw Regional Wrestling." This is the first one, and if you wish it, YouTube should rotate you through the next three.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4RFCRpp9P0

I don't know what I think about this. At least they're trying something. My favorite is the banker and his big surprises.
Foleyite

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HelloDes wrote:
WWE has put up four videos of "Southpaw Regional Wrestling." This is the first one, and if you wish it, YouTube should rotate you through the next three.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4RFCRpp9P0

I don't know what I think about this. At least they're trying something. My favorite is the banker and his big surprises.

I haven't watched this yet, but I'm seeing lots of positive talk about it. I'll give it a watch. Hopefully, it's amusing.

Not to sound too cynical, but it just seems like another way WWE is trying to co-opt all WWE/wrestling-related content on the internet. Like when they had a YouTube show with Road Dogg that was basically their own version of Botchamania. Like when they turned NXT into a super indy. And when they got the guy who hosts a WWE-themed podcast to do a show on the Network. And when they started having "podcasts" on the Network, in the wake of Colt Cabana, Austin, etc doing podcasts. Etc.
HelloDes

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's basically just micro-targeted sketches for old men who might enjoy someone doing an impression of the Fabulous Ones or Lance Russell. (Whether either of these is an accurate reference point, I do not actually know. I've seen very little of the 1970s/80s regional wrestling shows.)

There's an element of "so bad, it's good," which is usually just an excuse to be bad. There's about 10,000 pounds of "wink, WINK," which also gets old fast. There's a lot of overexplaining obvious jokes. And they use the "blurting out inappropriate lines" bit too often.

But I don't actively reject this, because it does have a tone and is going for... something.

"Southpaw" is like one of those oddball "SNL" sketches from the last half hour that don't really work, but don't suck either. And I'm forced to admit, I did find the banker character funny, and those segments are the most egregious "so bad, it's good" thing on the show. Which means I even have reservations about my own reservations. Would I watch another one? I don't know. Anyway, they're only like 7 minutes long.
Foleyite

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched the first one.

I feel like Cena and Jericho did the best job with it. Not even because they're guys who have done some acting, but more because they might be the only guys old enough on the roster to remember the tone of this stuff outside of watching stuff from this era in Botchamania clips.

EDIT: Right on cue, I start the second one and Rusev is just basically doing the "Jumpin'" Jeff Farmer interview.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VGMuseum Forum Index -> GX All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: