VGMuseum
Video Games ''''Я'''' Us

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

All Elite Wrestling
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Foleyite

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:16 am    Post subject: All Elite Wrestling Reply with quote

Roster for All Elite Wrestling:

Cody*, The Young Bucks*, Christopher Daniels, Hangman Page*, Frankie Kazarian, Scorpio Sky, C.M. Punk, Brian Pillman Jr., Undertaker Snake Guy From Lucha Underground, Tatanka, The Revival, Brodus Clay, Terry Funk, DJZ, Brian Cage, Pentagon Jr., Super Calo, Goldust, Stardust, Dustin, Trent Baretta, Billy Gunn's son, BJ Whitmer, BJ & the Bear, Bugsy McGraw, King Kong Bundy, the Von Erichs, Von Krus, L.A. Gore, Matt Hardy, Barry Hardy, Barry O, The Gambler, Willie Mack, Chilly Willy, Wildcat Willie, Joey Abs, Pete Gas, Gillberg, Goldberg, Chavo Guerrero, Sting and Chris Jericho

*unconfirmed
HelloDes

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will there be 4-gallon containers prominently labeled ASS CREAM? Will Joey Ryan and Santino Marella's unemployed green cobra glove join forces to form the Sock 'N Cock Connection? Will a faction of apples finally unite and take down Carlito? And are there enough blind female wrestlers to fill a Vision-Impaired Women's Tag Team division (with Nidia as the inaugural champion)? These and other questions are these and other questions.
Foleyite

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brutus Beefcake is waiting by the phone, brother.

Fan: "Hey, you should get a smartphone. That way, you can just carry it around with you so you don't have to wait at home next to a landline."

Beefcake: "How did you get in my house"
Foleyite

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cody (Rhodes):
Quote:
“I grew up in the world of sports entertainment myself because my main career experience is with WWE. But when I say sports entertainment, I have a love for the side of the business that skews more towards sports. You find that a lot in New Japan Pro Wrestling, you find that a lot in early 90’s WCW that I am always notoriously raving about, I find it a lot in my father’s product, the same with Bill Watts – it’s more of the sports side of it. Pro wrestling is absolutely sports entertainment but it’s also pro wrestling. I think that’s the direction that we’d like to lean.

“This is preliminary, but I can tell you that we have talked about rankings and we have talked about records. As a kid, we probably all read Pro Wrestling Illustrated and the different mags where they’d have the rankings. Everything we’d like to do is an effort to engage the audience. Not in a way that insults their intelligence. It is something that’s been discussed. I can’t confirm that we’ll do records, or we’ll do an analytical take on it, but I’ve seen some mock ups for some pretty cool stuff.

If they do PWI-style top 10 rankings and have shows as good as early-'90s WCW, well, let's just say that as a fan I will be ... watching this promotion.
Foleyite

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some may say the highlight of today's AEW event was the official announcement of Kenny Omega's signing.

But I say it is Excalibur pointing out the Best Friends wearing "their finest Scott Hall cosplay".

Last edited by Foleyite on Sat May 18, 2019 12:38 am; edited 1 time in total
GIncognto

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They had an hour long press conference right next to a large pool, and NOBODY was thrown in the water. This truly is a new vision of professional wrestling.
XDXSCSA123: NICE AND SOFT
XDXSCSA123: NOW LIP LOCK
XDXSCSA123: SEX
HelloDes

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every one of the seven faces at bottom right has something entertaining about them.
Mr Perfect
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is it that no one spotted a super-excited Ric Flair standing atop the MGM Grand building in the back?
Mr Perfect
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, sorry--that's a banana-shaped light.

J-just forget these two posts.
Foleyite

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GIncognto wrote:
They had an hour long press conference right next to a large pool, and NOBODY was thrown in the water. This truly is a new vision of professional wrestling.

I'm looking forward to the show where Hangman Page gets a birthday cake, says thank you to his friends, enjoys a slice and then the cake is taken to the back and never seen again.
HelloDes

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to see the angle where one of the Young Bucks starts getting a disproportionate share of the attention, and then AEW starts subtly teasing dissension between the two, and then at some point the viewer realizes the situation must have dissipated naturally because it really doesn't make any sense to break up a successful partnership over something so unimportant.
Foleyite

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: All Elite Wrestling Reply with quote

Foleyite wrote:
Roster for All Elite Wrestling:

Brian Pillman Jr., Undertaker Snake Guy From Lucha Underground

Cody mentioned on Jim Ross' podcast that they've been trying to find some good HOSSES to add to the roster and specifically mentioned Luchasaurus f/k/a Undertaker Snake Guy From Lucha Underground. The hoss hunt is also probably good news for Luke Harper. I hope his new name is Hoss Hunt.

Pillman Jr. is in the battle royal, as well. I hope his new name is Lou S. Cannon.

Cody also says that there's a bunch of signed talent that that hasn't been revealed yet because they want everyone to have some kind of introduction on the YouTube shows. What a rube. Cody, the way to introduce talent in THIS BUSINESS is to make big deal out of 2 or 3 guys and then you announce online that a bunch of midcard, unimportant bums like Chad Gable, Buddy Murphy and Naomi or whoever the hell are also on the brand.
HelloDes

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or introduce your exciting new talent the same way WCW did with Bret Hart coming off the Montreal/HBK/Vince controversy: bring him in as... A GUEST REFEREE!
Foleyite

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The special referee for an ERIC BISCHOFF/LARRY ZBYSZKO match, no less.
HelloDes

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THIS MATCH MUST HAVE A FINISH
KaneRobot

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cody and Dustin! Both guys, minus the gimmicks that make them interesting, in a rematch of the 1.5 star classic from many years ago when they were both younger and less injured. LOOK OUT, FAKE FIGHTING INDUSTRY
Foleyite

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KaneRobot wrote:
Cody and Dustin! Both guys, minus the gimmicks that make them interesting, in a rematch of the 1.5 star classic from many years ago when they were both younger and less injured. LOOK OUT, FAKE FIGHTING INDUSTRY

Even though I'd normally agree - Dustin Rhodes vs. Cody Rhodes is definitely a better story than "Goldust vs. Stardust". And being optimistic, I assume it'll be a better match because they'll have more freedom and time. I barely remember it, but I'm pretty sure that 2015 Fastlane match sucked (and they only had 5-10 minutes.) I'm sure in AEW, they'll get to have 20 minutes of an NWA-style match with a bullrope busting Cody open and they'll be treated more like [Dusty voice] ATTHATHIIIIIIINS instead of ERRAND BOOOOOYS. KABUKIIIIIIIIIIIII
HelloDes

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, AEW will be airing its shows on TNT.

That's juuusssssst a little bit better placement than AXS or the El Rey Network or the Pursuit Channel.
Foleyite

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that replicating WCW's mistakes would be foolish of any promotion, but I also don't see why replicating WCW's successes would be anything other than fun nostalgia and uh, operating a pro wrestling promotion.

If episode 1 of Tuesday Night Dynamite takes place at the Mall of America and C.M Punk walks down the aisle in the middle of a match, I for one, will applaud.
HelloDes

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still pretty much good news:

https://www.ringsidenews.com/2019/05/15/aew-not-getting-paid-to-air-show-on-tnt/
Foleyite

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only signings that are misses for me are Earl Hebner and Jim Ross. I don't buy the argument that they "give AEW legitimacy". I don't think casual fans care about the refs and announcers and I'm not sure your more hardcore fans see these guys as being that beloved in 2019. Maybe this is just my own bias speaking as someone who's not a huge JR fan (especially in recent years with his NJPW play-by-play). But the main thing to remember is that Hiroki Goto is very fundamentally sound, kinda reminds me of Bret Hart.
Foleyite

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surreal to hear Marv Albert promote AEW Double Or Nothing during the NBA playoff game tonight. The funny thing is that the only name he mispronounced was Chris JA-RECKO.
HelloDes

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris Jarecko is a second cousin of the Fight Doctor, Ferdie Pacheco. And also of the Geico gecko.
Foleyite

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HelloDes

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get it.

https://twitter.com/AEWrestling/status/1132464521891725313
Foleyite

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was very subtle.
Foleyite

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/ElGenerico/status/1132449506455359489

I know it's not exactly the Monday Night Wars and social media has changed things, but it's a little surprising that WWE talent were openly talking about watching Double or Nothing and praising it.
Foleyite

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if Meltzer or anyone else has made mention of this, but the fact that they gave Big Dave, wrestling podcasters and media folks credentials and let them interview talent backstage after the show made AEW feel different and also legit. That felt like something simple that you could take from UFC and pro sports that I actually never even thought about before. WWE is too insular & paranoid that Meltzer would shit all over their booking or that somebody would ask about something that's off-limits and ruin a Baron Corbin storyline or whatever to do that.

nWo Shirt Guy That Shit Himself in the Crowd makes me feel nostalgic for Drunk Guy in Crowd, though. At worse, DGIC pissed himself now and then.
Foleyite

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Double or Nothing did almost 100,000 buys. Not only is it good for a company's first show with no TV in the weird, sorta-dying PPV market of 2019 - it's twice as many buys as TNA's biggest ever buyrate (Lockdown 2008 main evented by an Angle/Joe cagematch). It's also not that far off from WWE buyrates (not counting Manias, Rumbles, big draw shows) before they switched over to the Network.

I, for one, welcome our new Orange Cassidy overlords.
Foleyite

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
AEW's next show will be airing live for free.

During an interview at E3 (the Electronic Entertainment Expo) on Monday, Kenny Omega announced that Fyter Fest will be streaming live for free on Bleacher Report Live. The show is taking place at the Ocean Center in Daytona Beach, Florida on Saturday, June 29.

Omega announced that esports commentator Alex "Goldenboy" Mendez will be calling Fyter Fest with Jim Ross and Excalibur. Mendez, who was also a commentator for NBC's "The Titan Games," was part of the announce team for the CEO x NJPW show last year.

Omega & The Young Bucks will team against Pentagon Jr., Fenix, and a partner at Fyter Fest. Jon Moxley vs. Joey Janela, Cody Rhodes vs. Darby Allin, and Hangman Page vs. MJF vs. Jimmy Havoc vs. Jungle Boy are also set for the main card. CEO organizer Alex Jebailey will face AEW's Michael Nakazawa in a hardcore match on the pre-show.

[Roddy Piper voice] WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELL I guess I'll be watching Fyter Fest then.
Foleyite

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never seen them wrestle a tag match, but Jungle Boy and Luchasaurus are moving up my Favorite Tag Teams list.
Foleyite

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On 2 different cards that featured the likes of Dean Ambrose, Chris Jericho, Kenny Omega, Pentagon Jr., Fenix and The Young Bucks - Cody Rhodes had arguably the Match of the Night. Now he's probably gonna make people care about a Cody Rhodes/Tye Dillinger match. This guy might be a lot better than I had originally pegged him as being, let alone Vince or whoever.

Fyter Fest was held in the same venue that TNA held Bound for Glory back in 2010, which featured the now-somewhat-infamous "10! 10! 10!" build-up (in a much more innocent pre-Dillinger time.) BFG was always the poor man's WrestleMania for TNA, but they definitely built up those shows more than their average PPVs. That particular one featured: Kurt Angle, Sting, Hulk Hogan, Kevin Nash, Ric Flair, Mick Foley, a host of ECW guys, Jeff Hardy, etc. (The opening match was the Motor City Machine Guns vs. some young bums named Jeremy and Max Buck.)

Fyter Fest drew a bigger crowd. Appealing to 'casual fans' is for suckers.
HelloDes

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I even jotted down "AEW show" on my calendar so I wouldn't forget, and then I forgot. I need to start tattooing my reminders backwards on my face, so I'll see them when I shave.
Foleyite

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This week's Being the Elite is as curious as the poses animal strike when doves cry.

I remember it being somewhat shocking when Bischoff (or Joey Styles and Shane Douglas in ECW) would mention guys in other companies. There was a sense of "wait, can they do that?" But that was mostly guys taking shots at the competition. AEW is literally teasing bringing in Ibushi, Marty Scurll and Flip Gordon in and even though they're talking about them not being available (and it's obvious from both a real-life and storyline perspective why they'd mention those guys specifically) - it's a little.... odd? Maybe they feel they have enough of a good relationship with NJPW and ROH to where that won't annoy them, but it seems risky now that AEW is a thing.

And you've got Taya, an Impact talent, on there with Johnny Morrisonitromundoimpact, as well.

I don't know, maybe I've just been conditioned by decades of McMahon's "OTHER COMPANIES DON'T EXIST UNLESS THEY HELP US GODDAMMIT" philosophy, but it seems weird.

*Ed O'Neill voice* The wrestling business is a twisted place.
GIncognto

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did enjoy "HEY, that weird little guy took a shit on my lawn!", though.
XDXSCSA123: NICE AND SOFT
XDXSCSA123: NOW LIP LOCK
XDXSCSA123: SEX
HelloDes

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some reason, I feel like it makes sense to put this news under AEW:

Report: Enzo Amore and Big Cass Talking With WWE About Possible Return
https://www.si.com/wrestling/2019/08/29/wwe-nxt-enzo-amore-big-cass-return
Foleyite

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think they'll continue this once they got rolling, but AEW is doing a good job of announcing matches weeks in advance for the weekly show. And they're not the blockbuster indie dream matches that they do for the PPV shows. But they're building up inaugural champions and matches like Cody vs. Sammy Guevara and MJF vs. Brandon Cutler, as if they're solid mid-card matches you would look forward to seeing at Halloween Havoc or whatever.

WWE gradually got so bad at booking and producing a wrestling show that something this simple seems like a gigantic breath of fresh air.
Foleyite

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought we were in a post-kayfabe era but a heel who declares that "Morris Day and The Time suck"?! Ohhhh, you've got heat from me now, brother.
Foleyite

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.mandatory.com/wrestlezone/news/1140809-what-happened-after-aew-dynamite-went-off-the-air

Jericho doesn't like hot dogs.
HelloDes

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just how many hot dog threads are we gonna have here?

The first WEDNESDAY NIGHT WARS ratings are in:
AEW -- 1.4 million
NXT -- 900,000

These viewership totals do not include the restless poltergeists of dead children, nor anthropomorphic meat.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VGMuseum Forum Index -> GX All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: