VGMuseum
Video Games ''''Я'''' Us

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Ultimate World Wrestling Entertainment© Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 47, 48, 49

View previous topic :: View next topic  
HelloDes

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foleyite wrote:
HelloDes wrote:
The twelve greatest wrestlers ever to be featured in the main event of at least one WWE pay-per-view ("Royal Rumble" matches and Lawrence Taylor excepted):

12. Hillbilly Jim
11. R-Truth
10. Finlay
9. Chainsaw Charlie
8. Ludvig Borga
7. David Otunga
6. Paul Roma
5. General Adnan
4. Tatanka (Buffalo)
3. Carlito (Apple)
2. Mike Knox
1. Snitsky

Here's my list:

12. Ken Patera
11. Koko B. Ware
10. The Red Rooster
09. Fake Undertaker
08. John Laurinitis
07. King Mabel
06. Mr. T
05. Zeus
04. Hardcore Holly
03. The Great Khali
02. Roman Reigns
01. The Miz

How could you leave out Butch Reed, Rhyno, Jacques Rougeau, Chris Masters, or the Spirit Squad? These men worked very, very hard not to entertain anyone.
Foleyite

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HelloDes wrote:

How could you leave out Butch Reed, Rhyno, Jacques Rougeau, Chris Masters, or the Spirit Squad? These men worked very, very hard not to entertain anyone.

All of those guys have entertained me at various points if I'm being honest.

Except for you, Spirit Squad.
HelloDes

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to list my 12 best Butch Reed moments, but I came up a dozen short. Maybe I'm actually a New Japan wrestler and have been kicked in the back of the head a few too many times.

Chris Masters, it goes without saying, was for a few brief moments the greatest entertainer who ever lived.
HelloDes

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't remember every single WWF main event. (See above post for a possible explanation.)

Maybe someone here will know: did the Toxic Turtles ever headline a pay-per-view?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-ciKE8VNQc

The ToxTurts (my old nickname for them) certainly popped the crowd, much in the same way that a sharp pin pops a balloon.
Foleyite

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HelloDes wrote:
I was going to list my 12 best Butch Reed moments, but I came up a dozen short. Maybe I'm actually a New Japan wrestler and have been kicked in the back of the head a few too many times.

Chris Masters, it goes without saying, was for a few brief moments the greatest entertainer who ever lived.

I can't come up with any memorable WWF moments for Reed. All my positive memories of him are as one-half of the Doom tag team in WCW with Ron Simmons.

Masters somehow became a pretty great, underrated worker when he returned years ago. But by then, they were onto shiny new toys and he was relegated to Superstars or Main Event or whatever before being released. He's doing alright in the Double J GFTNA Impact Wrestling now.
Foleyite

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, if I was Cody Rhodes, I'd be kinda pissed too.

For years, fans wonder if WWE will use Starrcade or War Games since they have the rights to it, but nah, there's no plans for that, they say.

2015: Dusty Rhodes, the guy who created both of these things and worked in creative for WWE, passes away.

2016: Cody Rhodes leaves the company.

2017: "We're doing Starrcade and also War Games." --WWE
HelloDes

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine writes reviews of every WWE no-more-pay-per-view and emails them out. This is part of his thumb's up review of whichever sub-Sloptro event happened last night:
Quote:
Well they did it; they took one of the most charismatic "can't miss" performers of the past decade and in less than six months on Smackdown turned him into another high-middle card guy (Nakamura). All the name of "making" a career jobber into a main event star in his home country - when it turns out Jinder is really from Canada (no matter).

In other nonsense, Bobby Roode can't even get a clean victory over Dolph Zigger. Dolph Ziggler! And Charlotte's title reign has to wait for Smackdown so they can try to beat the RAW ratings during football season.

And why is Randy Orton so protected? He's never been as valuable (or as over) as John Cena. Yet with Cena off doing movies, Orton is the guy on the road - when they have AJ STYLES, who EVERYBODY loves.

Randy Orton p. Rusev ***
Because... well because they always protect Orton.

U.S Title Match
Baron Corbin d. AJ Styles/Tye Dillinger **3/4
First half was boring as hell but picked up as they went to near-falls. Whole point of Dillinger in the match was to take the pinfall so Corbin could become champ and Styles wouldn't do the job. AJ now transitions to a program with Jinder Mahal for the World title, I figure. Unless they're going to do a three-way with Mahal and Nakamura, where AJ no doubt does the job to lead to a 1-on-1 match with Nakamura at Royal Rumble.

World Heavyweight Title
Jinder Mahal p. Shinsuke Nakamura **1/2
Nakamura is not a miracle worker against Jinder. He's just godawful. Possibly the worst choice for World champion in a decade, since JBL and Kevin Nash before him.

Bobby Roode p. Dolph Ziggler **1/2
Dolph is starting to phone it in. Only took 8-9 years. Odd booking finish as Roode didn't get to hit his finisher; they did a series of holding the tights reversals and Roode "won" and pinned Dolph. Only Ziggler immediately laid him out - the biggest NXT free agent they've brought up since Nakamura. Totally flattens him out, to be put down so quick by a guy in the middle like Ziggler.

HIAC - Falls Count Anywhere
Kevin Owens p. Shane McMahon ***1/2
Really, I know Shane had to smarten up his kids. But they stopped doing crowd shots of them when they were laughing as Owens was beating the tar out of their pop.
I was happy Shane lost, because if he won, then he would have one more win on PPV then Samoa Joe has this year.

Foleyite

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the most part, I agree with everything in that post. Especially the "sub-Sloptro" description.

I didn't see the Styles match because I fell asleep. I don't think I need to go back and watch it, though.
HelloDes

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THRILLINGLY EXCITING NEWS

Reports are that next month's Survivor Series will be led by... Brock Lesnar vs. Jinder Mahal.

In a non-title match.

Get ready to break out the ************¼, Dave Meltzer!
KaneRobot

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That car door only weighed a little less than the lighter of the Jinder's manservants, so at least we'll get to see how far Lesnar can toss him
HelloDes

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They've got to somehow sell this turd. Right now, Vince McMahon is the Godfather. Paul Heyman is waiting in a funeral parlor. And Vince is putting his hand on Heyman's shoulder and saying, "My friend, are you ready to do me this service? I want you to use all your powers, and all your skills."
HelloDes

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen some cruel, vicious signs in the crowd, but this is taking it too far:
ROMAN WATCHES CHRISLEY KNOWS BEST
HelloDes

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Card subject to change" means "card subject to change":

Apparently there's a virus going around WWE (and not the one named Cyrus). And it's put a serious dent in this Sunday's show.

*After all the build-up, the Shield's first reunion match has been postponed.

*Roman Reigns is being replaced with Kurt Angle (!).

*Bray Wyatt is being replaced with A.J. Styles (!).

*Styles will be fighting Finn Balor in an all-Bullet Club match that never happened in New Japan.

I'm thinking they should find this virus and add it to the booking committee.
Foleyite

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shield reunion, Angle's in-ring return and the first-ever Styles/Balor match were three big playing cards they had in their backpocket and they just blew through them all in a state of emergency for an In Your House-level show in the fall. With modern WWE, I'll take whatever good ya can get, so it seems counterproductive to complain about getting some legitimately exciting developments. But now that capital has been spent on two sloppy (but at least good in the case of Balor/Styles), last-minute matches and you've got 3 less things you could really build up as big deals.
HelloDes

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, don't forget that Braun Strowman was murdered by Kane, crushed to death inside a garbage compactor. That's a big loss for the company.
Foleyite

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know what, the free market will just have to decide whether or not Braun Strowman gets a continued push.
Foleyite

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EVERYBOOOOOODAAAYYYYEAH
YEEAAAAAAAH
ROCK YOUR BODAYYYYYEAAAH
YEEAAAAAAAH
HelloDes

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And now, another installment of Answering the Questions of the Future... Today!

This question comes from Tony Rothman, from the year 2019. "Gallows and Anderson were very successful in Japan. Why were they such forgettable failures in WWE?"

Good question, Tony. It's just that I don't feel like typing anymore. So, from the October 30, 2017 episode of Raw, here.

Thanks for writing! And people of the future, remember to keep sending in your Questions of the Future... Today!
HelloDes

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WWE has started to promote its 25th anniversary episode of "Raw," coming this January.

Poor old Stephanie McMahon told the Universe that "Raw" is the longest-running show in television history. That's very close; just 15+ years from now, "Raw" will finally become the longest-running wrestling show (not television show). Then all they have to do is delete decades of "60 Minutes," "Monday Night Football," "Meet the Press" and a hundred other programs.

Then, poor old Michael Cole had to say that "Raw" has lasted longer than "The Simpsons," "Lassie," and "Gunsmoke." "The Simpsons" 30th season begins in October 2018, but who'll notice that? But at least we have a definitive winner in the classic "WWE vs. Lassie" feud.

In its press release, WWE says that "Raw" has been the launching pad for pop culture icons, and lists six examples:

*Dwayne "the Rock" Johnson
*"Stone Cold" Steve Austin
*Triple-H
*John Cena
*The Undertaker
*The Bella Twins

I think we can all win this round of "One of These Things is Not Like the Other."

The list starts with the Rock. Then there's a huge gap. Then comes Austin, and then a large gap. Then Cena, then a smaller gap, then Undertaker. Then a humongously vast gap, followed by a medium-sized gap, followed by Triple-H. After that, an incomprehensibly limitless gap whose horizons can never be sighted or measured. And then, somebody who isn't the Bella Twins.

Beyond that, to say that Triple-H is a bigger 1993-2018 pop culture icon than Mick Foley, Brock Lesnar, or Vince McMahon is ridiculous. Hell, even Batista is having the career Triple-H so badly tried and failed to have. Gosh, I wonder how he made the list?
Foleyite

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the plus side, at least Triple H is keeping up his NWA/WCW nostalgia.

Quote:
NXT is going on the road for its first few television tapings of 2018.

The Center Stage Theater in Atlanta, Georgia, which used to be home to WCW Saturday Night, will host NXT TV tapings on January 4th, February 1st, and February 2nd. Tickets for the shows are set to go on sale on December 1st at 10 a.m. Eastern time.

Foleyite

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TakeOver and Survivor Series cards are really weird! But, kind of interesting!

I mean, I'm sure Roman Reigns comes out and Hogans Lesnar out of the title in an impromptu challenge or something to ruin it all for everybody, but you've got to try and stay positive.
Foleyite

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE ON THE FEUD OF THE YEAR (WWE/NXT Edition):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPHAbtOmDE0

Now that they've done a tribute to Destiny's Child "Say My Name", will they honor DC's other big hit with a reference to "Bills, Bills, Bills" and delight GX and Gangrel fans worldwide? Only time will tell.
Foleyite

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
WWE has been contacting former talents and personalities to film video messages for the [RAW 25] show as well. It’s not yet known if the messages will be used during the actual broadcast or for promotional material for the event.

I'm not gonna get my hopes up for Damian Demento, Friar Ferguson, etc. We know it's probably just gonna be Hacksaw Jim Duggan, Ron Simmons, Ted Dibiase and the same other 5 people they always trot out.
HelloDes

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foleyite wrote:
I'm not gonna get my hopes up for Damian Demento

Patience. It takes a while for a request to get to the outer reaches of your mind.

My prediction is that the 25th Anniversary Raw will build up tension, nostalgia and excitement until the final moment, a silver crescendo which can be described in a single word:

"INDEED."
GIncognto

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume Jonathan Coachman will show up since he got laid off by ESPN.
XDXSCSA123: NICE AND SOFT
XDXSCSA123: NOW LIP LOCK
XDXSCSA123: SEX
KaneRobot

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it's kind of a long shot but I'm hoping they get Benoit to show up. He was part of a critical moment during the Monday Night Wars.
HelloDes

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They tried to implode the Pontiac Silverdome yesterday, but the building survived the explosives.

What did they expect? The Silverdome had already held up under the impact of the immortal Hulk Hogan body-slamming Andre the Giant, a catalcysmic impact that caused "93,173" screaming Hulkamaniacs to explode.
Foleyite

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welp, it was clearly a great idea to fast track Sarah Logan to the main roster.

Even Kalisto winced at that segment.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VGMuseum Forum Index -> GX All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 47, 48, 49
Page 49 of 49

Jump to: