VGMuseum
Video Games ''''Я'''' Us

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Five Star Match Database
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Foleyite

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are my favorite matches of the year, so far. For funsies.

1. Tetsuya Naito vs. Kenny Omega (G1 Climax Finals 08/12/17)
2. Kazuchika Okada vs. Kenny Omega (08/11/17)
3. IWGP champ Kazuchika Okada vs. Shibata (Sakura Genesis)
4. Tetsuya Naito vs Michael Elgin (02/11/17)
5. IWGP champ Kazuchika Okada vs. Kenny Omega (Dominion)
6. IWGP champ Kazuchika Okada vs. Kenny Omega (Wrestle Kingdom 01/04/17)
7. WWE UK champ Tyler Bate vs. Pete Dunne (NXT TakeOver)
8. Kenny Omega vs. Tomohiro Ishii (NJPW G1 Special Long Beach 07/02/17)
9. Kenny Omega vs. Tomohiro Ishii (NJPW Wrestling Dontaku 05/03/17)
10. Tetsuya Naito vs. Kota Ibushi (G1 Climax Night 1 07/17/17)

I think Naito, Omega and Okada are pretty, pretty, pretty, pretty, pretty good.
GIncognto

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately for me, I'm much more into a match when I don't know the outcome already, which dampens my enjoyment of a lot of the NJPW stuff. The matches are obviously great, but I end up not being as excited about them and a really really good WWE match because I already know what's going to happen. I did really like Omega/Okada from the dome show and I finally saw Shibata/Okada which I also liked but it dragged slightly at times.

So all of that just to say that Dunne/Bate is my favorite so far this year. I haven't seen the Omega/Okada and Omega/Naito G1 matches yet though, which sound like they may be a little more up my alley.
XDXSCSA123: NICE AND SOFT
XDXSCSA123: NOW LIP LOCK
XDXSCSA123: SEX
Foleyite

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GIncognto wrote:
Unfortunately for me, I'm much more into a match when I don't know the outcome already, which dampens my enjoyment of a lot of the NJPW stuff. The matches are obviously great, but I end up not being as excited about them and a really really good WWE match because I already know what's going to happen. I did really like Omega/Okada from the dome show and I finally saw Shibata/Okada which I also liked but it dragged slightly at times.

So all of that just to say that Dunne/Bate is my favorite so far this year. I haven't seen the Omega/Okada and Omega/Naito G1 matches yet though, which sound like they may be a little more up my alley.

I have NJPWWorld now so I saw all of those matches, (save for Naito/Elgin, Shibata/Okada and one of the Omega/Ishii matches), live. I think that always makes a huge difference in your investment of a match. Not only knowing who wins or what the finish is beforehand, but a match with risky bumps or things like that are really compelling and scary in the moment. But if you watch those matches after you've heard Meltzer rave about them and add "and amazingly enough, ya know, no major injuries after the G1 show", your nerves aren't nearly as on edge.

Although the general in-ring product is pretty solid these days, WWE and NXT haven't really had any other stand-out matches that I can even think of off the top of my head. Even Dunne/Bate is barely a WWE product. It's them borrowing a couple of British indy wrestling guys and giving them a showcase.
HelloDes

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite example of this was when ESPN used to rebroadcast "classic games" like Nolan Ryan's 7th no-hitter. I understand that all of the one-team cable channels (Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, etc.) do the same thing with their tape libraries. See Jon Lester no-hit the Royals! See David Wells' perfect game!

Because really, the element that makes watching a no-hitter so compelling is knowing that it is certain to happen.
Foleyite

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's somebody on YouTube that started posting a bunch of random old baseball games. They just seem completely random. A 1991 Tigers/Mariners game. A 1988 Indians/Yankees game. I've watched bits & pieces before falling asleep. It's kind of a comforting thing to watch and it's actually more interesting to see these random games than the classic, historic ones. The channel that shows Angel games out here will show the famous 1986 Red Sox/Angels game, the World Series win etc, but I've seen those highlights a billion times and I have no interest in sitting through 2+ hours of the full games. It's more interesting to watch a random old '80s/'90s game and think "Oh yeah, I always forget Ron Cey was a Cub for a couple of years".
Foleyite

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meltzer gave that trainwreck TLC main event ****1/4.

Extra star points for letting the Mayor of Knox County bounce Dean Ambrose's head off of a table and letting the free market decide where it would land.
HelloDes

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That move is where the extra 1/4 came from.
Foleyite

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meltzer gave WALTER vs. Zack Sabre Jr. from PWG's All-Star Weekend *****.

This is the third PWG match to get the 5-star treatment.

This is the tenth match of 2017 to get at least 5 stars.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VGMuseum Forum Index -> GX All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: