VGMuseum
Video Games ''''Я'''' Us

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Nutty Pisser

View previous topic :: View next topic  
HelloDes

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:27 pm    Post subject: The Nutty Pisser Reply with quote

Let us raise a full and foamy specimen glass to Jerry Lewis.

Foleyite

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will we get to see 'The Day the Clown Cried' now?
HelloDes

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope so. It might be the first time Jerry makes me laugh.
HelloDes

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The previous post was a slight (but only slight) exaggeration. Lewis is funny in the middle of this clip for a few seconds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOrjlAy5M1Y

Martin & Lewis seem like the ultimate "you had to be there" thing in entertainment. Being alive in 1948 or 1951 and seeing them burst onto a stage of what was considered mainstream entertainment was something new and unpredictable. Now, to look at the old footage, it just seems like a lot of screaming and mugging and mostly lame jokes. But then, it was like a bomb going off.

Because a small portion of Jerry's physical antics have amused me in very short bursts, I do think he's funnier than Margaret Cho or George Lopez or Samantha Bee or Dane Cook or Russell Brand or Janeane Garofalo of Jeff Dunham or Ralphie May or a whole bunch of others.

I also have a vague positive feeling towards "The Nutty Professor," a film which I haven't seen in at least 25 years-- much more for the sinister Buddy Love persona than the "flavin with the glavin" title character.

And Lewis is excellent in "The King of Comedy," but it's not a comic role.

I know a lot of comedy writers who love Jerry Lewis, either ironically or sincerely (and sometimes-- usually?-- both). But I'm too young to have seen Lewis as an ongoing relevant cultural figure. And I only have a very small taste for camp or cringe-watching. So maybe that's why Jerry's appeal passed me by.
Foleyite

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HelloDes wrote:

And Lewis is excellent in "The King of Comedy," but it's not a comic role.

I know a lot of comedy writers who love Jerry Lewis, either ironically or sincerely (and sometimes-- usually?-- both). But I'm too young to have seen Lewis as an ongoing relevant cultural figure. And I only have a very small taste for camp or cringe-watching. So maybe that's why Jerry's appeal passed me by.

He is awesome in "the King of Comedy" and I love that film. I know he's an accepted comedy legend and all, but I don't really see his influence on the world of comedy, especially amongst the comics I enjoy most. Also, he always seemed like an asshole.

Other than that: for me, he's mostly just the guy who inspired Professor Frink, Jon Stewart's "BLAGOYAAAAVIIIICH!!!" voice, and one of Eddie Murphy's mid-tier '90s comedies.

Oh, and this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuVfpaU8P0k
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VGMuseum Forum Index -> GX All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: