VGMuseum
Video Games ''''Я'''' Us

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Ultimate World Wrestling Entertainment© Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 47, 48, 49 ... 56, 57, 58  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
HelloDes

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Celebrated sportswriter Frank Deford died last week. Some believe him to be the best ever; anyway, he's in the conversation.

Deford also founded and edited The National, an expensive attempt to establish a nationwide all-sports newspaper. It was a good paper; I used to buy it. He hired a lot of notable sportswriters, as well as not-yet-notable niche writers such as Dave Meltzer (who did a wrestling column).

Anyhow, the new issue of the Observer pays personal tribute to Deford. The story includes this very, very unfortunately constructed sentence (especially if you were Frank Deford):
Quote:
"While I could never be close to the writer he was, then again, nobody else could have been either, as far as the key formative influence in long-form pieces I've written, especially obituaries, are based almost entirely on studying his writing style."

Mr Perfect
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But can the patient be saved? Let's see:

"While I could never be close to the writer he was--then again, nobody else could have been either, as far as the key formative influence in long-form pieces I've written--especially obituaries..."

Wait.

"While I could never be close to the writer he was (then again, nobody else could have been either)--as far as the key formative influence in long-form pieces I've written, especially obituaries--are based almost entirely on studying his writing style."

No, because then our "sentence" is "While I could never be close to the writer he was are based almost entirely on studying his writing style."

Maybe we'll get better results if we make some modifications while removing the obvious (I guess) rogue comma that sneaked its way into the sentence's end portion:

"While I could never be close to the writer he was (then again, nobody else could have been either)--as far as the key formative influence in long-form pieces I've written, especially--obituaries are based almost entirely on studying his writing style."

So could it be that Deford's writings were the inspiration behind the creation of obituaries? And is Meltzer's comparatively lacking writing ability somehow contributing to the number of people who have since perished?

Who, exactly, is studying these obituaries? And why are they doing it?

Ahhhhhh--hold on. I finally see it. The problem is that certain words were accidentally omitted. Take a look at what happens when they're reinserted:

"While I could never be close to the writer he was (then again, nobody else could have been either)--as far as the key formative influence in long-form pieces I've written, especially--my obituaries are based almost entirely on my studying of his writing style."

And now you have a sense of what is actually being said here.

That's right: Dave Meltzer is dead, and Frank Deford's most proudly illiterate fan was nice enough to tell us about it.

Rest in peace, Dave. You will be, honestly, and I mean this, I do, especially now, were the best.
HelloDes

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just beat myself over the head with a Ouija board until the ghost of Frank Deford appeared, to complete his unfinished formative influence work here on Earth. This was his spectral message:

D-O-N-T B-E S-O A-F-R-A-I-D O-F U-S-I-N-G P-E-R-I-O-D-S D-A-V-E
Foleyite

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I didn't know of the connection with that newspaper, Meltzer has definitely mentioned Deford in passing before.

On a serious note, I only really know Deford from his work on Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel, and I usually found him to be the most legit 'sports journalist' out of that crew. They once did a piece on how he became an advocate for cystic fibrosis after his own daughter dealt with it and passed away. It was actually quite touching. However, it looks like he also hired Jay Mariotti at the National. Frank Deford giveth and Frank Deford taketh away.
Harb

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't believe this could have come out in 2014, because I didn't see it win an Oscar in 2015.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNLqkQzYOIk
HelloDes

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harb wrote:
I don't believe this could have come out in 2014, because I didn't see it win an Oscar in 2015.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNLqkQzYOIk

I gotta say, I'm a little concerned about Jim Duggan bringing a piece of wood to face someone called the Axeman.
HelloDes

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday's Raw was even nothing-er than the usual nothing it's been lately. An AV Club comment says it all:
Quote:
If you wanted to point to a single moment that defined this week’s abysmal Raw, you’d point to the main event. It’s a 2 Out Of 3 Falls Match between the Hardys and Sheamus and Cesaro that ends in a double countout.

Foleyite

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HelloDes wrote:
Yesterday's Raw was even nothing-er than the usual nothing it's been lately. An AV Club comment says it all:
Quote:
If you wanted to point to a single moment that defined this week’s abysmal Raw, you’d point to the main event. It’s a 2 Out Of 3 Falls Match between the Hardys and Sheamus and Cesaro that ends in a double countout.

For all the criticism that other promotions have gotten over the years for misusing talent or killing the heat of talent that came in with a bunch of fanfare, it's maddening to see WWE take Kurt Angle and the Hardys and make them ten times more boring and stale than they were on Impact for the last decade within the span of about 2 months; or completely cool guys like Ambrose off with months upon months of horrendous booking.

HHH sees guys getting over in promotions like PWG, EVOLVE, etc with matches full of good ringwork and highspots and decides "hey, we'll capitalize on this and scoop up some of these guys for NXT and we'll make a cruiserweight division with some of 'em". Then we'll have those guys in storylines with Alicia Fox and the matches will last 30 seconds because hey, why see a successful thing that works and recreate it on a bigger stage, when you can take a risk doing something different and throw it all in a toilet?

Years of work in NXT getting Bayley, American Alpha, Sasha Banks, Neville, Sami Zayn (among others) over as people who could theoretically main event shows have been dashed within a year's time.

I have access to weekly shows by Impact, New Japan Pro Wrestling, Ring of Honor and Lucha Underground. Counting NXT, on a good week, Raw and Smackdown are generally the third or fourth best weekly wrestling shows of the week. Yet Vince and company are still the "This is fine" dog, sipping ICO-PRO shakes, in a house engulfed in flames.
Harb

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tough year for Bray. First he loses his house, now his wife. But he did bang Jo Jo, I guess. QUALITY.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/wwe-star-bray-wyatt-apos-125452307.html
HelloDes

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harb wrote:
Tough year for Bray. First he loses his house, now his wife. But he did bang Jo Jo, I guess. QUALITY.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/wwe-star-bray-wyatt-apos-125452307.html

WWE star Bray Wyatt's wife Samantha Rotunda filed for divorce from her estranged husband in Florida, accusing him of adultery.

Rotunda has demanded their marital home, child support, and alimony — along with “majority” custody of their children, according to reports.

In response, Wyatt laughed for no reason, then said that his estranged wife sought to dance with the hellfire, but her unworthy legs could not ascend the rocky crags of truth. Wyatt added, "On the day she spoke those marital vows with two open eyes, she knew. Yes, she knew all too well, in the black pit of her soul, that I am the seducer, the savior, the sinner, the succubus, and my ravenous kingdom requires a seething river of fresh nookie."

The judge found in favor of Samantha Rotunda.

Foleyite

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samantha: My friends are saying that you've been cheating on me.

Bray Wyatt: Hahaha. THEY LYIN' TO YOU, MAN. This marriage... must be BURNED DOWN. So it can be REBORN. FOLLOW.....THE BUZZARDS."

Samantha: I'm calling my lawyer.
Foleyite

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's lame that not only are Mike Bennett & Maria basically doing the same gimmick they did in Impact-but since it's WWE, Maria has to drop the "...of professional wrestling!" from her "I am the First Lady... of Professional wrestling!" catch phrase. It doesn't even make sense without it.
KaneRobot

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They need to change that. People may think she's married to Trump.

I'm sure they'll think that changing it to "First Lady of Smackdown" or "First Lady of the WWE Universe" will be just fine. Because they suck a bag full of cocks.
Foleyite

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brock Lesnar has now been back for 5 YEARS.

The only people he has lost to during this stint are: John Cena, HHH, The Undertaker and Goldberg.
Harb

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foleyite wrote:
Brock Lesnar has now been back for 5 YEARS.

The only people he has lost to during this stint are: John Cena, HHH, The Undertaker and Goldberg.

Technically, he lost to Seth Rollins. Kind of. I guess.
HelloDes

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave Mooznlurrm Has No Time for Movie-Watching, Vol. XVII:
"Ambrose on commentary said that Slater doesn't want to be an errand boy, he wants to be an assassin. That was a line Dusty Rhodes said for a match against the Great Kabuki at the Omni about 35 years ago."

Though the guy in this movie clip, which was 3 years old when Dusty said his line, does bear some resemblance to Dusty Rhodes.
Harb

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HelloDes wrote:
Dave Mooznlurrm Has No Time for Movie-Watching, Vol. XVII:
"Ambrose on commentary said that Slater doesn't want to be an errand boy, he wants to be an assassin. That was a line Dusty Rhodes said for a match against the Great Kabuki at the Omni about 35 years ago."

Though the guy in this movie clip, which was 3 years old when Dusty said his line, does bear some resemblance to Dusty Rhodes.

Before you pick on Dave too much, I found this little poll Dean did for WWE.com. Here's a snippet.....I think it explains a lot.

Favorite interview style: Mumbly
Favorite feud: I only want to wrestle the Miz
Favorite match of all time: Dusty Rhodes v. Kabuki at the Omni from about 35 years ago. It may seem random, but Dusty made up this great quote about wanting to be an assassin, not an errand boy. I plan to steal that as tribute.
Favorite movie: Not sure, but definitely not Apocalypse Now. I've never seen it.
Favorite GXer: Harb

It all checks out.
HelloDes

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of video clips, how can I get my avatar to be smaller?

My previous avatar showing a group of men intensely staring and twitching suddenly turned into a giant "This image is unavailable" notice. So I went online, found a gif that was practically the same, and edited my profile. And it came out enormous, bigger than the "ha ha we just killed your image" one.

And so did the next two images I tried. Dancing Vin Scully, which is twice the size of the other avatars, is the smallest I could find.

I didn't do anything to make the previous avatar look normal-sized. How do I stop waggling my big thick Scully in everyone's faces?
Foleyite

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oddly enough, I saw this clip on whatever show it originally aired on on the WWE Network pretty recently and the promo stood out to me, and I texted a couple of GXers "Check out this crazy Dusty promo". It did not occur to me that he was doing a scene from Apocalypse Now, because to this day, that is a huge blind spot in my film-watching history. It's probably the most famous film that I still haven't gotten around to seeing. That, or Patton, because they're 4 hours long.
HelloDes

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Patton" is very good, "Apocalypse Now" is great. Both have the Francis Ford Coppola juice (he wrote the screenplay for "Patton"). Even the documentary about the making of "Apocalypse Now" by Coppola's wife is tops. He had a pretty good 1970s.
HelloDes

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oscar-winning Best Pictures I haven't seen:
1930-- Cimarron
1932-- Cavalcade
1937-- The Life of Emile Zola
1945-- The Lost Weekend
1947-- Gentleman's Agreement
1956-- Around the World in 80 Days
1958-- Gigi
1964-- My Fair Lady
1985-- Out of Africa
1989-- Driving Miss Daisy
2001-- A Beautiful Mind
2013-- 12 Years a Slave
2016-- Moonlight

Oscar-winning Best Pictures I kind of think I have seen, but apparently reacted with such intense indifference that I'm honestly not sure:
1948-- Hamlet
1963-- Tom Jones
1968-- Oliver!
1983-- Terms of Endearment

The other 73, I've seen. About 20 of them are on my mythical favorite list that has to be recreated from scratch every time.
HelloDes

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And these are the ones I haven't seen from the artier, foreign-ier, solemn-ier Sight & Sound list that's compiled once per decade (Top 100 only; the full list goes at least 500):

#15-- Late Spring
#19-- Mirror
#24-- Ordet
#29-- Stalker
#37-- Jeanne Dielman, 23 Quai Du Commerce, 1080 Bruxelles (not three movies in a tie; that's the title)
#38-- Satantango
#41--Journey to Italy
#44-- Gertrud
#49-- Histoire(s) du Cinema
#60-- Sansho the Bailiff
#61-- The Mother and the Whore
#71-- Sans Soleil
#72-- A Man Escaped
#74-- L'Eclisse
#79-- Beau Travail
#83-- Spirit of the Beehive
#86-- The Color of Pomegranates
#88-- A Brighter Summer Day
#90-- Partie de Campagne
#98-- Touki Bouki
#100-- Imitation of Life

Can't remember whether I've seen "The Seventh Seal."

Tapped out on "Andrei Rublev" due to monotony and "Pather Panchali" due to lesser motonony combined with a washed-out print.
Harb

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HelloDes wrote:

My previous avatar showing a group of men intensely staring and twitching suddenly turned into a giant "This image is unavailable" notice. So I went online, found a gif that was practically the same, and edited my profile. And it came out enormous, bigger than the "ha ha we just killed your image" one.

And so did the next two images I tried. Dancing Vin Scully, which is twice the size of the other avatars, is the smallest I could find.

I didn't do anything to make the previous avatar look normal-sized. How do I stop waggling my big thick Scully in everyone's faces?

I similarly had this problem when changing my avatar a few years ago. Finally went with Zelda because it fit properly. So, I'm no help here.
Harb

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HelloDes wrote:
1930-- Cimarron
1932-- Cavalcade
1937-- The Life of Emile Zola
1945-- The Lost Weekend
1947-- Gentleman's Agreement
1956-- Around the World in 80 Days
1958-- Gigi
1964-- My Fair Lady
1985-- Out of Africa
1989-- Driving Miss Daisy
2001-- A Beautiful Mind
2013-- 12 Years a Slave
2016-- Moonlight

Oscar-winning Best Pictures I kind of think I have seen, but apparently reacted with such intense indifference that I'm honestly not sure:
1948-- Hamlet
1963-- Tom Jones
1968-- Oliver!
1983-- Terms of Endearment

The other 73, I've seen. About 20 of them are on my mythical favorite list that has to be recreated from scratch every time.

I've only seen, of these lists, Driving Miss Daisy and Terms of Endearment. Some of the others I haven't even heard of. But, I DID watch Trolls the other day, so there's that.

In all seriousness, I can't recommend Driving Miss Daisy highly enough. Terms of Endearment I don't really remember as it has been 30 years probably.
Foleyite

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HelloDes wrote:
1945-- The Lost Weekend
1964-- My Fair Lady
2013-- 12 Years a Slave
2016-- Moonlight

I've seen these. Although I think I rented or borrowed The Lost Weekend, and never watched or finished it. My Fair Lady, I could take or leave.

Moonlight and 12 Years a Slave were both very good, although I liked Moonlight a lot more.
HelloDes

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best ten Best Pictures:
The Godfather Part 2
The Godfather
Casablanca
The Best Years of Our Lives
The Silence of the Lambs
Unforgiven
Annie Hall
The Apartment
Amadeus
Gone with the Wind

Best twenty-five movies nominated for Best Picture that didn't win:
Citizen Kane
Pulp Fiction
Dr. Strangelove
Apocalypse Now
E.T.
Raging Bull
Goodfellas
Network
The Graduate
The Awful Truth
The Wizard of Oz
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Grand Illusion
Tootsie
The Great Dictator
Fargo
L.A. Confidential
Moonstruck
All the President's Men
Chinatown
Jaws
Hannah and Her Sisters
Toy Story 3
Double Indemnity
Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid

(Methodology: Choices and order pulled out of my ass.)
KaneRobot

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HelloDes wrote:

Can use this site for your next one, whenever WWE claims that you are using an image of Nick Bockwinkel without their permission and deletes it.

https://ezgif.com/resize
HelloDes

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have done the Lord's work this day. Spasmodic Scully is under control.
Harb

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HelloDes wrote:
You have done the Lord's work this day. Spasmodic Scully is under control.

Yeah, this helped me as well. But then I spent 2 hours deciding which Cosby gif was the exact right one.
HelloDes

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harb wrote:
Yeah, this helped me as well. But then I spent 2 hours deciding which Cosby gif was the exact right one.

The verdict.
Foleyite

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say I was a little cautious about clicking on that youtube link.

Look what you've done to us all, Cosby.
Foleyite

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worst New Theme?

Jason Jordan's Kurt Angle Jr. theme
Seth Rollins, Now with "BURN IT DOWN!" Accessory
Big Cass' Commercial For Your Local Hard Rock Festival
Foleyite

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sign of the Year contenders from last night's SmackDown:

GO ETHNIC BAD GUY

My sir makes a really good meatloaf
Foleyite

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This Daniel Bryan interview on Edge and Christian's podcast is interesting.

He's basically saying he's cleared to wrestle and confirms that he plans on coming back next year.

He's also talking a lot about how certain guys in WWE are frustrated at how they're used, and one way he tries to cheer them up is by asking them when their contract is up, because it's "the best time ever to be an independent wrestler".

He also says this for anyone wondering about him being reckless with his health: "I also wanna give the caveat of this: If at any point... there's a real indication that I should not be wrestling, I don't wanna wrestle. My health is 100% more important than coming back to wrestling. Being a good father is more important than going out there and expanding on my belief that more hammerlocks are good for the business."
Foleyite

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can someone please tell me exactly when Shane McMahon and Kurt Angle's heads turned into tomatoes?
HelloDes

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave Meppsquirm Needs to Watch His Mouth, Vol. I:
Quote:
"Reigns pulled out a table and gave Strowman a Samoan drop through the table but Strowman beat the cunt."

Hey, I get that nobody likes Roman Reigns, but that's not nice.
Foleyite

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me, every time some wrestling journalist or website or podcast or YouTube video mentions how ridiculous it was to have noble Englishman Lord Steven Regal have a "Real Man's Man" rugged woodsman gimmick, even after 20 years to think about it for longer than 2 seconds:

HelloDes

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Don't Know, Dave Metmzxer, For a Very Last Throwaway Sentence of Your Weekly Newsletter, That Actually Sounds Pretty Serious, Vol. I:
Quote:
Orton got a deep cut in his eye during the match.

HelloDes

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The twelve greatest wrestlers ever to be featured in the main event of at least one WWE pay-per-view ("Royal Rumble" matches and Lawrence Taylor excepted):

12. Hillbilly Jim
11. R-Truth
10. Finlay
9. Chainsaw Charlie
8. Ludvig Borga
7. David Otunga
6. Paul Roma
5. General Adnan
4. Tatanka (Buffalo)
3. Carlito (Apple)
2. Mike Knox
1. Snitsky
Foleyite

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HelloDes wrote:
The twelve greatest wrestlers ever to be featured in the main event of at least one WWE pay-per-view ("Royal Rumble" matches and Lawrence Taylor excepted):

12. Hillbilly Jim
11. R-Truth
10. Finlay
9. Chainsaw Charlie
8. Ludvig Borga
7. David Otunga
6. Paul Roma
5. General Adnan
4. Tatanka (Buffalo)
3. Carlito (Apple)
2. Mike Knox
1. Snitsky

Here's my list:

12. Ken Patera
11. Koko B. Ware
10. The Red Rooster
09. Fake Undertaker
08. John Laurinitis
07. King Mabel
06. Mr. T
05. Zeus
04. Hardcore Holly
03. The Great Khali
02. Roman Reigns
01. The Miz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VGMuseum Forum Index -> GX All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 47, 48, 49 ... 56, 57, 58  Next
Page 48 of 58

Jump to: