VGMuseum
Video Games ''''Я'''' Us

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Soul of Darkness

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VGMuseum Forum Index -> MrP's Castlevania Realm
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lashen

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:31 pm    Post subject: Soul of Darkness Reply with quote

http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/43abZKNdfBpNgpMHTJ8Y6FKjB6Pzctds Rolling Eyes
Mr Perfect
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was sure it was a Castlevania game when I saw it a few months back. Then I found out that if you read accompanying text, it adds a whole new context to things. Who knew?

It looks interesting, but it begs the question: Does Konami have exclusive domain on this material, or can others replicate it down to the very same unmistakable atmosphere? There is, after all, a fine line between inspiration and material plagiarism.
Lashen

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems strange to me that someone would do this at all. It isn't exactly like this is the early '90s where there wasn't a whole lot else to be "inspired" by. I remember alot of platforming games following in Castlevania's footsteps by making very similar games, replacing the Belmont figure with some random knight bearing a sword. Konami has made its fair share of ripoffs though, so I guess they have little room to complain if they want to.

The sprites for Soul of Darkness seem very simplistic, but the screenshots are small. I'm mildly reminded of that tiny unused (or fake) Castlevania screenshot that used to have people in an uproar.

Lashen

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm late to the party, but I downloaded the DSiWare release of this game out of curiosity through my brand-new 3DS (never owned a DSi).

It's cliche, short and linearócan I really complain about a former cell phone title that cost $5.00 USD though?

It has one redeeming quality though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ou_YlyOo6DI
Mr Perfect
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's not Adventures of Lolo-style, Sokoban-type games, I've never been able to muster any interest in titles closely inspired by my favorite series (Castlevania and Metroid included). Well, unless it's something called "Rygar," in which case I'm ready to start handing out money like Amanda Bynes to that shady-looking guy in the alley with the shoulder-mounted hot dog vendor.

It's the same thing with games based on movies and movies based on games. I find the very idea of them intrinsically boring.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VGMuseum Forum Index -> MrP's Castlevania Realm All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: