VGMuseum
Video Games ''''Я'''' Us

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Minor question concerning Dracula's Curse and passwords.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VGMuseum Forum Index -> MrP's Castlevania Realm
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lashen

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:11 pm    Post subject: Minor question concerning Dracula's Curse and passwords. Reply with quote

So, I've been playing through Castlevania III and taking record of each password as I progress. (There's little point to this other than personal satisfaction.) Just a moment ago, I wrote down the password for the first stage of the castle basement, but failed unintentionally as I proceeded. Somewhat rundown, I decided to take a break and chose not to continue.

To my surprise, I noticed that the password I had received was not the same as before (when it should have been). I've entered both passwords and—as far as I can tell—have been given the same result: same stage/second run with Grant Danasty as my ally.

Is there an element that this game keeps record of, to which I am unaware? Or does this simply just "happen," and if so, why?
Mr Perfect
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you enter the same name the second time?

I compared a few passwords (for Trevor alone, specifically) and noticed that there are partial matches even if the password varies--I always spot a morning star and a heart in the same place, for instance.

So what might be going on is that only two cells of the table might actually account for the stage in which you're placed while the other seemingly random symbols represent the number of lives and some arbitrary variance related to the name you chose.
Lashen

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same name.

With the exception of the placement for a couple of symbols, the password was nearly-identical. My best assumption is that there's a gameplay variable taken into account here that doesn't serve any function past making passwords seem more intricate than they actually are. I suppose this might potentially stray mischievous players from guessing their way into cheating.

This variable could very well be the timer or heart count, but they always return to default. So, if their intent was simply to deceive there could just as easily be no variable to begin with?
Lashen

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I recently came upon a much-detailed solution to this elsewhere and am forwarding it to sate any curiosities.

Quote:
Wow. I didn't notice this thread. Sorry.

No hidden elements. Passwords are generated randomly. There's a possibility of 2, 3 or 4 different passwords per stage per partner per difficulty level per name content. I forgot the number. I have it in my notes but whatever.

CV3 takes the following into consideration:

Player Name -- Every letter is assigned a value and each slot is assigned a value. All combined adds to a name value. There are only 8 possible values, if I remember right. Hence, "TREVOR " and "ABCDEFGH" yield the same result.

Stage -- The current stage you died on

Partner -- Whether you're alone, have Grant, Sypha, or Alucard. That will affect the password.

Difficulty -- It keeps track of if you're on Normal mode or Hard mode.

It factors all that in and then randomizes it. It's needlessly complex.

Here's my password generator if you ever forget to write down a password:
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?5im4cq9zrcym156

Basically what you proposed, Mr. Perfect. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VGMuseum Forum Index -> MrP's Castlevania Realm All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: