VGMuseum
Video Games ''''Я'''' Us

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fave Genre/Style of Game?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SqualidPumpkin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:27 pm    Post subject: Fave Genre/Style of Game? Reply with quote

I figured this topic would be universal to the video gaming world. What video game genres and styles within said genres are you guys specifically interested in? For instance, I have a friend on another site who enjoys just about any good game. Doesn't seem to have a niche at first, but he actually gets even more interested if the game is weird or obscure. So even if you don't think your tastes are very focused, try to pinpoint the things you enjoy.

I didn't include a poll because I imagine the answers being relatively varied and personalized.

Platformers - I happen to enjoy 2D platformers primarily, which developed as I got older since in my younger, less developed, more simplistic perspective of video games I preferred 3D games. I think the Castlevania series had a lot to do with my preference for 2D games. Nowadays I can't generally just sit down and play a 2D platformer if it's too formulaic - I like there to be something new or interesting about it that'll catch my attention. For instance, Sonic the Hedgehog has such a unique, vivid world and the speed factor and ring system set it apart from other platformers. Also, Starfy is fun for me because of the colorful water setting where movement is in all directions, not just left-to-right.

Metroidvanias - On that note, I also like the Metroidvania sub-genre of platformers. I like the exploration and the fact that all areas are accessible eventually. I find backtracking to get max-ups and abilities rather satisfying. Like with anything else, I won't give a Metroidvania a perfect rating unless it's both innovative and high quality (Kirby & the Amazing Mirror comes to mind).

Smash Bros.-esque Fighters - I've recently gotten a big kick out of playing Super Smash Bros. Brawl, which I initially played for the Subspace Emissary and The Great Maze, but got helplessly sucked in. I enjoy being able to interact with the levels and random items while fighting, and I like the simple controls which don't involve crazy combos. I also find the percentage system to bring more variety to the table than the health bar.

First-Person Combat Flight Simulators - Finally, I get into a good bogey splasher. Not the third-person ones though; I like being in the cockpit. Unfortunately, the only ones I've been able to find for current generation Nintendo consoles that involve first person flying are the Majesco sims. I'm sure a sub simulator could give off an experience similar to but individual from first-person combat flight sims, and if Majesco were to tackle that concept I'm sure it'd turn out just as well as their flyers.

...as you can see, I enjoy a game more than I might otherwise if I can recognize true innovation in it. I also like unique alternatives to the health meter like in Wario Land. I enjoy being able to re-visit earlier spots without too much hassle, along with the freedom to explore at my own pace. Gameplay is foremost in importance to me.

I'm interested to find out what other people are into.
Tachikoma

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm more into individual games than genres. The two I do like and have more games than any other are;

RPG/JRPG's. Possibly my favorite genre of games. I love how in-depth they can get with the stories and how my relationship with the characters develops the longer I play. I prefer JRPG's to Western one but not those made by Square Enix for some reason. There alright but I just can't get into them. Western RPG I've not played that many but I loved Mass Effect 1

Shoot 'm Ups. 2D Shoot 'm Up's are games that drive me mad as I like them I'm just crap at them (I still haven't gotten past level 2 in Ikaruga and i've had that game for three years) but there's something about them I love.

Stuff I don't like

Sports. I put this down to the fact the only sport I really like is cricket and there has never been a good cricket computer game.

Fighters. I've never been ale to get into fighters after five minutes if that I just get board with them.

FPS FPS games just don't do it for me. I was given a copy of The orange Box and I'm still struggling to see what the appeal of Portal is. good song thought.
SqualidPumpkin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what my brothers used to say about RPG's - it's all about the story. And I know what you mean about fighters. I guess I just don't get what they're all about, because whenever I play my Mortal Kombat for Game Gear I don't much enjoy struggling to push the enemy to the opposite side of the straight, horizontal stage. I probably shouldn't judge all fighters based on the one, but when I see videos of new fighters coming out my interest isn't particularly piqued. Maybe it's just the non-linear platformer in me, but I like a level which I can move around in while I battle and which offers a new experience each time.
Bloodreign

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shmups- hori and vert I like many, but not all, from Gradius to R-Type, from Fire Shark to Raiden and even Twinbee.

Fighters - your Street Fighters and Mortal Kombats, real good in MK at one time, not so much on SF and KoF though.

Platformers - original Sonic's and Mario's abound, from X-Men for Genesis to a lot of stuff Taito put out, good stuff here.

Puzzlers - no not Tetris, stuff like Cleopatra Fortune, Puyo Puyo, Magical Drop, Konami's line of Puzzle Damas, things many people play, but not everyone's ever heard of.

Beat em ups - Final Fight to Double Dragon to Battletoads to Captain Commando, nothing burns off stress better than a beat em up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VGMuseum Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: