VGMuseum
Video Games ''''Я'''' Us

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Late Night with Conan O' Brien Appreciation Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Foleyite

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HelloDes wrote:

Leno Falls Below Conanís Tonight Show Ratings Trend

(Seinfeld voice and delivery) Ah, that's a shame.

Here is a picture that accurately represents my reaction to Leno's current ratings troubles and toxic reputation in the comedy world:

And here's a mildly amusing and related YouTube video somebody made:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2wRJmL6PQU

Also, a comedian I like was doing a character recently and he said the phrase "I watch the Leno at Ten-o with the wife". It made me chuckle.
HelloDes

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those whose freude is STILL insufficiently schaden'd, I give you the 2010 Emmy Award nominations:

Outstanding Variety, Music or Comedy Series:
*The Colbert Report
*The Daily Show with Jon Stewart
*Saturday Night Live
*Real Time With Bill Maher
*The Tonight Show with Conan OíBrien

Meaningless bullshit, yes... but emotionally satisfying meaningless bullshit.
Foleyite

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From this month's GQ Comedy Issue.

Quote:
[Paul Rudd] does have some opinions on what gets a laugh -- like how he'd make "The Tonight Show With Jay Leno" funnier.

"Hire Conan," Rudd said.

Foleyite

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHeyO2W8aPU

Bart: "Did you see that?"
Homer: "Yeah."
Bart: "What's Conaw?"
Homer: "I figure it's some guy's name. Some guy named Conaw."
HelloDes

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'M WITH COWO
HelloDes

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(That's that building where the Hulkster threw that big stinky wart-infested giant off the roof and he died, right?)
HelloDes

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TBS is a death trap. It's a suicide rap. He gotta get out while he's young. Um, 59 is young, right?

Adios, Max Weinberg. Your unnerving stare will be missed.
Foleyite

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, sometimes, people leave Conan to do other projects.

Deal with it, missy.

HelloDes

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also moving on to exciting new vistas of opportunity: Jeff Zucker. He's the mastermind behind the 10 o'clock Jay Leno Show (among other programming decisions that rocketed NBC from first to fourth place), and is now being paid off by NBC to get the fuck out.

Fun Fact: Zucker was the President of the Harvard Crimson newspaper at the same time Conan O'Brien was President of the Harvard Lampoon.

Unfun Fact: Zucker will receive over 30 million dollars.
Foleyite

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fun Fact: Zucker is a fucker. (A girl had that on a sign at the Conan rally. I assume that she did her fact-checking and that this is 100% true.)

There's only one way to celebrate the good times and treasure the memories of Max Weinberg's Conan years:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STYsEXiuruU
Foleyite

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Conan blimp and frequent "CONAN coming November 8" commercials during the MLB postseason on TBS are a huge improvement over the barrage of Frank TV ads that made me reconsider living 2 or 3 years ago. Kid Rock, with his new lame "Made in the USA" gimmick, is somehow even lamer than last year's irritating Bon Jovi song, though.

And then Mom gave us some cake:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvrjKPsVSug
HelloDes

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More ratings fun! The quick version: Leno is slipping, Letterman has shot up.

Many are revelling in painting it as a Leno "collapse," but his June/July/August/Sept viewership totals were actually higher than Conan's 2009 numbers... but lower than Leno's last summertime totals. Leno is now down to a bare lead over "The Late Show," but it's mostly because of Letterman's closing in rather than Leno's falling behind.

The problem for Iron Jay is that everybody watching "The Tonight Show" is old, and they ain't gonna get younger. His "18-49 demographic" rating has already tanked, and Conan O'Brien's coming back in three weeks. But since Conan's moving to 11 o'clock, and since Leno has already hemorrhaged so much young viewership, the one who should be the most worried is Jon Stewart.

Can NBC thrive selling ads for The Scooter, "your premiums will never go up and you cannot be turned down!" insurance scams and Gold Bond Medicated Powder? Will Conan beat Little Jay Leno to death with a lacrosse stick? Stay tuned (unless you're 18-49)!
HelloDes

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The story that keeps on giving:

http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/features/2010/12/late-night-wars-excerpt-201012?currentPage=1
Harb

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HelloDes wrote:

http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/features/2010/12/late-night-wars-excerpt-201012?currentPage=1

That was a fantastic article.
KaneRobot

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FOR ME TO POOP ON
Harb

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KaneRobot wrote:
FOR ME TO POOP ON

Exclamation
Foleyite

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was at one of the Conan test shows yesterday. I don't know how things will be once they're doing the 'real show' and once they've been at it awhile, but it was a really good, loose, fun show and it just seemed like Conan and Andy were genuinely having fun. When jokes didn't work in the monologue, he'd say "Test show! I'm just gonna use that excuse next July when jokes don't work. Test show!" They did a bit where Conan was a video blogger and the webcam didn't work at first, leading to Conan fake-firing people. There was also a bit where Andy was a weather guy and he kept going with the bit long after it was over, getting some genuine laughs out of Conan. My favorite bit was "footage of the hard work that went into building this studio for us": someone puts a 'Conan' sign over a 'The Maury Povich Show' sign. I imagine the Entertainment Weekly types would say the self-deprecating jokes about "reruns of Good Times are now my lead-in" and the NBC references are evidence that Conan's "bitter" and that may be true. But it all really came off like Conan was being his old self-deprecating self and having a good time. Kevin Nealon was the first guest and it was amusing watching him and Conan just mess with the whole interview routine.

Conan: "I know you're a guy who has a nose for news. You've gotta have a lot of thoughts on that Chilean mine thing."
Nealon: "Wow, how did you know?"
Conan: "Because of the pre-interview."
Nealon: ::does his Chilean miner bit:: "But it's weird, ya know, how people do crazy things when they're bored with their sex life."
Conan: (laughing) "No attempt at a transition at all?"

The second guest was DJ Qualls, which isn't fascinating news, but there was a funny moment when he talked about shooting in New Orleans and the drinking culture there.

Conan: "Well, are you a big drinker?"
Qualls: "Well, I stopped smoking pot (cutting self off) Wait. I don't wanna.. well, this isn't going on TV anyway, right?"
::crowd hoots and hollers a bit::
Conan: "Wait! If you people promise not to blog about this, we might hear some amazing shit! So you stopped smoking pot."
Qualls: "I kept forgetting my lines. But when I'm drunk, I'm really focused."
Conan: "Oh yeah, drinking a lot SHARPENS the mind and reflex skills. NOTHING you've said out here is true."

I also have to mention that when the audience let out, we had to walk back to the parking structure and a woman almost killed about 8 people in the audience by paying more attention to her phone instead of the red light and the giant, very noticeable group of people walking across the street. It was like a cartoon, the way her car screeched and the way a trail of smoke came off of her car. One guy casually put his hand out like he was doing a Jedi mind trick and her car stopped just short of the guy.

I'm gonna be at the TBS premiere Nov. 8th too, so it'll be interesting to see if any of these bits make the show and all that.
Foleyite

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harb wrote:
HelloDes wrote:

That was a fantastic article.

Harb is right.
GIncognto

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bit about the car almost hitting a bunch of people should make the air, it sounds HILARIOUS.

But seriously, how do you manage to get tickets to all of his first shows? What do you have on that guy?
XDXSCSA123: NICE AND SOFT
XDXSCSA123: NOW LIP LOCK
XDXSCSA123: SEX
HelloDes

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The answer is a simple one. Foleyite is Seven-Foot Groucho.
Foleyite

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have zero connections. I just e-mail for tickets as soon as they become available. Early birds get worms. I actually tried and failed to get tickets to both of these shows, but my future-brother-in-law and a friend of my sister's tried and succeeded at getting tickets and they knew that if they didn't invite me, I'd hold a grudge ::Leslie Nielsen voice:: for a loooooong time!
Foleyite

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay totally won and Conan's a loser on cable TV now. The networks are still where it's at, baby! Right, guys? Guys? Is there anybody left in here?!? AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

Quote:
For the first time since Jay Lenoís return to The Tonight Show, David Lettermanís Late Show dominated in the ratings, earning 3.8 million viewers over Lenoís 3.6 million, while also scoring higher marks in both the 18-49 and 25-54 demographics. And while thatís something of an upset, itís nothing compared to this: The Daily Show finished the month of October with higher numbers than either of them in that key 18-49 demographic, marking the first time itís been No. 1 over all late-night talk shows among that all-important age group.

HelloDes

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never miss "The Daily Show" and I'm glad to see it doing better and better. But as for the ratings victory over Jay and Dave... um, when did Jon Stewart move to 11:30?
Harb

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I skipped ahead on my Dish Network guide to set my DVR for Monday and it is showing Conan as having a 12:00 start time. Family Guy episodes are on 11-12. Is this just a Dish Nework thing? WATS GONIG ON?
Foleyite

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HelloDes wrote:
I never miss "The Daily Show" and I'm glad to see it doing better and better. But as for the ratings victory over Jay and Dave... um, when did Jon Stewart move to 11:30?

Well, I was sort of, kind of, half or quarter-joking. It's a bit like Michael Cole's "longest-running episodic weekly show featuring midget trials" thing. TDS doesn't oppose Jay or Dave, but it fared better in the key 18-49 demo in that hour in October. I'm sure those numbers were boosted by the Rally To Restore Sanity, Obama's appearance and Jay & Dave having reruns for a week. (Colbert's ratings also got a noticeable COLBERT BUMP.) I think it's still noteworthy and relevant since a lot of people have written about cable being a step down/being a step into the future, concerning the Cone Zone.
Foleyite

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harb wrote:
Okay, I skipped ahead on my Dish Network guide to set my DVR for Monday and it is showing Conan as having a 12:00 start time. Family Guy episodes are on 11-12. Is this just a Dish Nework thing? WATS GONIG ON?

I have Conan set up to DVR for 8:00pm and it's on again at 11:00pm, but I have DirecTV. Dish Network's weird. A friend of mine keeps complaining about Dish; the big complaint being that their DVR doesn't adjust for time differences or something along those lines.
GIncognto

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My cable company has the west coast TBS feed so it's on at 11 here.
HelloDes

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judge Judy just beat Jay and Dave... combined!

But look out! iCarly kicks Judy's wrinkly ass!

No, I saw those same "Daily Show wins the late show battle!" headlines, too. People are SO eager to see Jay go down in flames that time itself must bend to the hate.
HelloDes

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What the hell happened to George Lopez? This late night situation is getting out of hand.
Harb

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foleyite wrote:
Harb wrote:

I have Conan set up to DVR for 8:00pm and it's on again at 11:00pm, but I have DirecTV. Dish Network's weird. A friend of mine keeps complaining about Dish; the big complaint being that their DVR doesn't adjust for time differences or something along those lines.

I figured it out. The times adjusted themselves when the time changed. So it indeed aired at 11 last night.

I DVR'd the show. What I saw was really good.
Foleyite

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that was fun. Not much to report on that you wouldn't have seen on the show. Reggie Miller sat two seats away from me and there was a strange moment during Jimmy Pardo's warm-up when the fire alarm went off and everybody's general reaction was "is there a fire? Do we have to get up?" Pardo: "I swear to god if it is a fire, I'm blaming Leno." (We did not move and everything was apparently fine.) A few of the monologue jokes (and "Tonight's episode: Baa Baa Blackmail") were recycled from the test show, but 98% of the show material was new. I thought it was a really good show; none of the bits at the test show were as good as the intro bit. After the show, Conan said he wanted to personally say out loud how much it meant to be welcomed back and how much the support from fans has meant during the last year. As we left, we were rewarded with cupcakes (complete with new Conan TBS logo) and rubber duckies with Conan-heads. Speaking of Conan giving his hardcore fans free food, while we were waiting earlier in the day, he sent out a couple of chip warriors covered in bags of chips. They ran around the crowd as we grabbed chips off of them. They also threw chips out to people and one girl got hit right in the face. We all laughed because bags of chips don't hurt. Shortly before that, some guy who brought his homework dropped his notes and I yelled "BWAHAHAHAHAHA! DID YOU SEE THAT JERK HAHA HE DROPPED HIS NOTES! AAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHA!" I've been waiting YEARS for that reference to come in handy, dammit.

Earlier in the day, a pair of women asked me to take their picture next to the CONAN sign. They were the two women Conan joked with during the monologue ("I like your boots, I'm creeping these women out"). Our group went to Bob's Big Boy afterwards and I see those two women come in with Pierre Bernard (of Recliner of Rage) fame. So right now, Pierre Bernard is probably enjoying the hangover from his three-way with TWO FOXY LADIES!

GIncognto

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was intrigued by their use of the masturbating bear. I wonder if they dare use anything else, on a more regular basis. How I long for a return of the silly moving lips on a TV screen interviews or SEEEEECRETS.

But yes, excellent show, plus it's on at a very good time for me.
Mr Perfect
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The show has a nice opening theme.

Why don't you listen to it while looking at this?

Foleyite

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Conan O'Brien is enjoying a sweet, sweet victory in the ratings.

The TBS premiere of Conan has soundly beaten NBC's Tonight Show with Jay Leno on Monday night.

Conan drew 4.2 million viewers, which is very impressive. What's more: 3.3 million of them were adults 18-49. By comparison Tonight had 3.5 million viewers, with only 950,000 of his audience in the demo.
Late Show with David Letterman had 3.4 million and 1.3 million.
O'Brien also trounced Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert, as expected (see chart below).

As rivals are sure to point out, the series premiere of a new late-night program is almost always victorious, people want to check out the new show. O'Brien's Tonight on NBC dropped more than 50% from his premiere within a week. It's still an accomplishment, however, anytime a cable show beats broadcast.

I know Conan had a half-hour lead-in etc etc etc, but this was really the first time that Conan vs. Jay ever happened and Conan crushed him, despite being on cable. It really puts those fears of letting Jay go to ABC or FOX look more and more foolish every year.

Quote:
Best news of all for TBS? The youth of the "Conan" audience, which makes it a relatively easy sell for advertisers. The median age of the O'Brien viewer was 30, which is music to a marketer's ear. By comparison, the comparable figure for "Daily Show" was 38. For "Tonight," it was a relatively ancient 59. For "Letterman," it was 53. A more stark illustration of the generational dynamics among the various talk shows cannot be found.

So if my dad watched Leno (which he doesn't), he would be one of THE YOUNGEST PEOPLE WATCHING THE SHOW. This really begs the question: how many people are actually watching The Tonight Show and how many old people are just falling asleep with NBC being the last channel they were watching before dozing off?
KaneRobot

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A ratings victory on mega-hyped & anticipated opening night isn't really much to get excited over...if Conan is still whoopin' on him two months from now, then it's time to chuckle at Leno's futility. At least Leno would finally be giving us something to laugh at.
Foleyite

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take my happy moments, schadenfreude and victories whenever and wherever I can get 'em, baby.
HelloDes

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monday: 4.2 million
Tuesday: 2.8 million
Wednesday: 2.7 million

Projected:
Thursday: 9 viewers. Nine.
Friday: 7.1 billion
Saturday: Awwwww, SIKE!
HelloDes

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foleyite wrote:
This really begs the question: how many people are actually watching The Tonight Show and how many old people are just falling asleep with NBC being the last channel they were watching before dozing off?

In all fairness to Chinzilla, it was a particularly dull episode of "Wheel of Fortune."
Harb

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HelloDes wrote:
Foleyite wrote:
This really begs the question: how many people are actually watching The Tonight Show and how many old people are just falling asleep with NBC being the last channel they were watching before dozing off?

In all fairness to Chinzilla, it was a particularly dull episode of "Wheel of Fortune."

There are no dull episodes of Wheel of Fortune. Vanna may be 114, but she's still pretty hot. And Sajak's awesomeness speaks for itself.
Foleyite

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cheer for shows I like to do well and for Jay Leno to fail and all as much as anybody, but the ratings system has always been highly suspect to me. I have never known anyone who's known anyone who's had a Nielsen box. 25,000 households have Nielsen boxes. America has something like 115 million households. So we're basically relying on an extremely small sample size?

And this is without getting into all the people who watch their favorite shows via DVR, TiVo, Hulu, YouTube, torrents, etc or the fact that Nielsen families can lie about what they're watching in their diary thingies.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VGMuseum Forum Index -> GX All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: