VGMuseum
Video Games ''''Я'''' Us

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Metroid: Other M (spoilers)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lashen

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:10 pm    Post subject: Metroid: Other M (spoilers) Reply with quote

So, I picked this up the day before yesterday and received 100% earlier this morning. I've yet to take on hard mode but I'm curious about everyone's thoughts regarding the game.

I'm not pleased about a few things (mostly concerning some of the characters and how the dialog was presented) but overall the game was very addicting.

Am I the only one who got stuck on nearly all of those "first person moments" where you can't move and are supposed to look around for something about the size of a needle?
SqualidPumpkin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I said in the Indie Metroidvania thread, I like mixing genres when it comes to Metroidvanias so long as the other genre is my speed. I love first-person shooters like Perfect Dark and Metroid: Prime Hunters: First Hunt as well as flight simulators, so maybe I'll consider picking this up.

Does the first-person shooting feel forced, or like something you have to do but don't want to?
Lashen

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say yes, due to the controls. It is just plain akward having to turn the Wiimote vertical to engage the first-person view. You can only shoot missiles in first-person view and alot of the time you can end up taking damage from other enemies when switching.

Also, when you are in first-person view you have to hold the B button to turn your head in other directions. This is a huge problem because the B button is also used to lock onto targets. So if there is a target in your line of vision and you're trying to see something that isn't, you're going to lock on to the closest thing with the cursor while holding the B button to look around and most likely get nailed by whatever you were looking for.

I've had many problems with this. I think they really should have gone about it differently. Hell, most of the time when there is an enemy right in front of my face I'll somehow end up locking on to another in the back of the room. All enemies seem to have the same target circumference on your visor regardless of how close they are to you sometimes. It is absolutely horrendous.

However, as frequent as you may go in to first-person view, the game is primarily in the third-person.
SqualidPumpkin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reviews for this game are pretty mixed so far. And also...

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/wii/en_na/ts/metroid-other-m.jsp

A glitch was discovered where the player can get stuck in the game. Hope I can keep that in mind when I buy it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VGMuseum Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: