VGMuseum
Video Games ''''Я'''' Us

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Harmony of Despair - New CV?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VGMuseum Forum Index -> MrP's Castlevania Realm
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SqualidPumpkin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:31 pm    Post subject: Harmony of Despair - New CV? Reply with quote

http://www.siliconera.com/2010/04/15/harmony-of-despair-that-sure-sounds-like-a-castlevania-game/
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3178874

I've been hoping that Castlevania the Adventure Rebirth wasn't Iga's secret project and that we'd have a bigger game on the way. Like both articles say, Order of Ecclesia was also revealed first in a U.S. Patent and Trademark filing and an early ESRB leak, but it could be nothing. This is all a guess based on the name. But what else would they be titling "Harmony of Despair"? My guess is, if it's a Castlevania title, it'll be a sequel to Harmony of Dissonance.

Just remember - E3'll be June 15th-17th, when we may find out more.
Mr Perfect
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does seem like the obvious Castlevania trademark, with the pairing of contradictory terms. The conventional wisdom, going on past precedent for early trademark detection, is that a new series game will debut right alongside Nintendo's 3DS (unless IGA loses his mind, like he did in 2007, and declares that the "real fans" are on iPhone or something incongruous).

Naming it as such, though, screams "more of the same," and I can't say I'm up for another formula sequel.
SqualidPumpkin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's a sequel to Harmony of Dissonance, it'll probable feature the sub-weapon/spell books system. I don't know how much room to shake up the Metroidvania genre Iga leaves for himself when he starts developing one of these. I think a Metroidvania game has the potential to be new. Though the thing I'd like most out of Harmony of Despair would be creative level design. Lots more open space, like in CotM, and not every room has to be a rectangle or square. I'd like to see interactive levels that draw you in.

I'll give it a shot, but the formula could stand to be reinvented.
SqualidPumpkin

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a rumor at the moment, but this game may be a 6-player co-op Metroidvania for the X-Box LIVE Arcade.

http://www.destructoid.com/rumor-6-player-castlevania-harmony-of-despair-revealed-172497.phtml

I hope not, for my sake. I'm not a fan of games that require multiple people to beat and I don't have an X-Box. But for the sake of the series, it could be an interesting twist. The Shadow Complex guys have also talked about the possibility of doing a multi-player Metroidvania. I've wanted an MMORPG Metroidvania game for a while, so this may be the first step. Though I wish they'd pick a system and stick with doing games for just the one...
SqualidPumpkin

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/04/30/rumor-castlevania-harmony-of-despair-2d-6-player-xbla-game/

What the article basically says is this:

1) The rumors are true.
2) The game will feature the following characters with their DS sprites: Alucard, Soma Crus, Jonathan Morris, Charlotte Aulin, and Shanoa. They're obviously trying to give you a wide scope of abilities, thus only one Belmont-type (Jonathan). The sixth character hasn't been revealed yet - maybe someone entirely new?
3) It will feature a "versus, fighter-style survival mode".
4) Using the DS sprites, the characters will be very small on the screen, so you'll be able to see more around you. And in like manner, you'll be able to zoom out to see the whole of the map.
5) HD presentation.

And here's a picture, supposedly concept art from the new game:

Whether this report is true, that remains to be seen. Awaiting confirmation from Konami, hopefully before E3.
Lashen

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well my hopes have been crushed. So much for a Harmony of Dissonance sequel. Then again, they'd probably find a way to make it worse, with Maxim being ninja-like and all. I predicted some kind of Naruto nonsense coming up.

This new game though sounds atrocious. The DS sprites? Aren't there enough fan games like that? Serio's Castlevania Fighter is pretty amusing, what with IGA popping off the side of the screen in a "TOASTY!" manner.
SqualidPumpkin

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.xboxic.com/news/6024

So the game will be playable up to six characters. I wonder what the minimum is. Also, some supposed screenshots. (Sorry for the size, if there's any way to scale them down please tell me!)

Looks like they'll be reusing lots of monster sprites as well. I still wonder though, who's the sixth character? Dracula? Or does "playable with up to six friends" imply that there'll be seven characters?
SqualidPumpkin

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.gamingbits.com/content/view/7794/2/

This article asserts that the screens are probably bogus, but of course neither it or neverknowtech.com are the authority on Castlevania, so as to which one is correct, I cannot say.
Quote:
Serio's Castlevania Fighter is pretty amusing, what with IGA popping off the side of the screen in a "TOASTY!" manner.

Laughing I've been keeping up with the game for a while, and I never knew about that! Is "TOASTY!" the guy from Mortal Kombat? Because that's kind of what it sounds like.
Lashen

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SqualidPumpkin wrote:
http://www.gamingbits.com/content/view/7794/2/

This article asserts that the screens are probably bogus, but of course neither it or neverknowtech.com are the authority on Castlevania, so as to which one is correct, I cannot say.
Quote:
Serio's Castlevania Fighter is pretty amusing, what with IGA popping off the side of the screen in a "TOASTY!" manner.

Laughing I've been keeping up with the game for a while, and I never knew about that! Is "TOASTY!" the guy from Mortal Kombat? Because that's kind of what it sounds like.

Yes sir.

Really though... No Belmont in Harmony of Despair? IGA really hates the Vampire Killer. These almost invincible side characters that have taken over the lead role are beginning to outnumber the Belmonts in entirety. There is no reason Julius shouldn't be in there, especially considering how he has a DS sprite and looks like the Belmont clone of IGA himself anyway.

SqualidPumpkin

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Really though... No Belmont in Harmony of Despair? IGA really hates the Vampire Killer. These almost invincible side characters that have taken over the lead role are beginning to outnumber the Belmonts in entirety. There is no reason Julius shouldn't be in there, especially considering how he has a DS sprite and looks like the Belmont clone of IGA himself anyway.

I never thought about him like that! Shocked I bet Team Iga's justification is that they've included Jonathan, who functions almost like a Belmont. I also bet they want characters to collect things from the enemies (Shanoa glyphs, Soma souls, Charlotte spells, Jonathan side-weapons) and perhaps Julius wouldn't have worked, traditional as he is. However, Julius is one of the most fun Belmonts to play as.

I wonder if they've been planning this game for a while, and have been working their way up to this point all this time - the DS games merely A Prelude of Things to Come. It's either that or they just put this game together using sprites and level themes from previous games to make things easier.

I bet that stage in the screenshots is just one of many, seeings it's not very big. That is, if this is all really the new Castlevania game. I mustn't get carried away and forget that this isn't official just yet, though these screens look pretty legitimate. If it's a ruse, it's a very official-looking one spanning over several sites. I think that's also original artwork for Soma.

EDIT: I'd also like to state that being a younger fan I've missed a few of the older games, but I've been able to play and beat every one of the Metroidvanias ('cept the three for mobile phones: Order of Shadows, Aria of Sorrow, and Dawn of Sorrow), so I hope this isn't X-Box Live Arcade-exclusive if it is the real deal.

And I don't know why they'd name it "Harmony of Despair" if it isn't a sequel to Harmony of Dissonance. Maybe it's like how "Order of Shadows" has words that are also in "Order of Ecclesia" and "Lords of Shadow".
Lashen

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IGA just takes things in odd directions. He worked with Rondo of Blood and that was really nice. Even on the interview found in Castlevania Chronicles after SotN was made he seems like a nice, sane human being. Some time after that he just grew all of his hair out and lost his mind. Personally I think Judgment was the worst of it, only for the character designs. He just takes weird directions with an already-okay theme.

Anyway, I'm hoping there will be more to this game than it seems. It is obviously still in the stages of development. I hope they surprise me. Putting aside Judgment, I'm not really that picky concerning Castlevania games... there are just alot of odd quirks that make me ask "What were they thinking?"

The pictures you posted seem a little fake though don't you think? I guess I say that because Soma's picture next to his HP bar doesn't seem natural. Does anyone else notice that?
SqualidPumpkin

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The pictures you posted seem a little fake though don't you think? I guess I say that because Soma's picture next to his HP bar doesn't seem natural. Does anyone else notice that?

Well, this whole thread is filled with "if the rumors are true" and "should it turn out that the pictures are real", so yes, it's entirely possible from my point of view that the images are fake. Laughing But it seems like whoever did these menus put a lot of work into them, and I don't see any old fan taking the time to fabricate screenshots in response to the Harmony of Despair trademark. It's just a matter of waiting for Konami's confirmation, at the moment.

I've read on forums that the guy who leaked all this information has access to PartnerNet and has leaked other unreleased video game details in the past.
SqualidPumpkin

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harmony of Despair has been classified by the Australian Classification Board.

http://www.classification.gov.au/www/cob/find.nsf/d853f429dd038ae1ca25759b0003557c/c1fee180eb5d760aca257730005dabd0!OpenDocument
http://360.kombo.com/article.php?artid=18982

The first link shows the classification, the second explains it. It points out that the graphics seen in the revealed screenshots might be placeholders, as it is an HD (get it? Harmony of Despair?) title.
Mr Perfect
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duly noted: http://www.vgmuseum.com/mrp/newswire.htm

If anyone finds more information on the game, feel free to post it here so some site-updatin' can get done.
SqualidPumpkin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/06/14/castlevania-harmony-of-despair-announced-via-xbox-live-summer/

Harmony of Despair is apart of the X-Box Live "Summer of Arcade". It's not much in the way of news, but it is a little extra confirmation. We're in the middle of E3 now, so I expect to hear something more soon, but then again last E3 was pretty uneventful even though many were anticipating some special Castlevania news.
SqualidPumpkin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New screenshots:
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=252300

New trailer:
http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/30070
Lashen

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It just, doesn't look too enjoyable.

I don't think the Castlevania series does well that often when it leaves the formula.
Mr Perfect
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what I was hoping they would do in one of the DS games: Cooperative play either with a friend or solo (using the second screen to control the other character when he's in another room of the castle).

Oh, well--maybe in the future. IN THREEEE-DEEEE, where you can see IGA and his staff in the background laughing at you for buying the same game for the eighth time.
SqualidPumpkin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd probably have trouble keeping track of my character when he/she's so small and there's so much going on at once. That is, if I had an X-Box.
SqualidPumpkin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=254699

1) New screenshots.

2) Release date - August 4th.

3) XBLA exclusive.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VGMuseum Forum Index -> MrP's Castlevania Realm All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: